Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
giphy.gif

So who’s the PG for the rest of the year?

I’ve missed a lot the last few weeks, but it looks like Griffin’s answered the question of who will take that 3 spot. Btw, it makes me happy to see him so happy.

Through 4 games against conference opponents, we are leading the Big10 defensively with .878 PPP allowed, the lowest among all Big10 teams.

illini80

Forgottonia
Through 4 games against conference opponents, we are leading the Big10 defensively with .878 PPP allowed, the lowest among all Big10 teams.
If they can continue that defensive intensity, we have a pretty good shot at the tourney. It’s very difficult to trust the offense, but I’m starting to feel really good about the defense. That could be what wins us the road games we need.

What place were in before the Purdue game? 37 points implies a mighty small PPP allowed.

What place were in before the Purdue game? 37 points implies a mighty small PPP allowed.

We’ve given up 234 pts in conference play. If that’s 0.878 PPP then our conference opponents have had approximately 266.5 possessions.

We let up 37 pts in approximately 62 possessions vs Purdue (0.597 PPP).

So prior to Purdue we had let up 197 points in roughly 204.5 possessions (0.963 PPP).

Anyone else starting to think that Kipper might be better at the 4 than GB right now? Kipper can make a 3 and stretch the floor...GB has shown an inconsistent ability to do this. He has played within himself and been opportunistic and has seemed to really find a role. Especially with Kofi on the floor and ayo and trent...those are a lot of people that we need to have the ball and he doesn't. So teaming him up with the starters might be better? I feel like with GB, it's been typically a ticky tac foul and then a forced left hook then another foul after that and he's done for the first half....

Anyone else starting to think that Kipper might be better at the 4 than GB right now? Kipper can make a 3 and stretch the floor...GB has shown an inconsistent ability to do this. He has played within himself and been opportunistic and has seemed to really find a role. Especially with Kofi on the floor and ayo and trent...those are a lot of people that we need to have the ball and he doesn't. So teaming him up with the starters might be better? I feel like with GB, it's been typically a ticky tac foul and then a forced left hook then another foul after that and he's done for the first half....

Kipper is at 15.4% from 3 and Giorgi is at 30.4%.

Kipper has been better lately, but certainly isn't out playing Georgi. I'm not convinced Kipper is a more reliable 3 point shooter than GB. The numbers the past couple seasons certainly don't show it. When Kofi is on the floor GB is looking to facilitate, not looking for his own offense. Believe it or not, Kipper is fouling at a higher rate (.11 fouls per minute) than GB (.08 fouls per minute), he just isn't playing enough minutes for it to matter much.

If the team needs a change the starting lineup, it should be at the 3. It is becoming obvious that Alan Griffin is one of our 5 best players.

The best 5 players should get the most minutes, regardless of configuration.

Trent in PG role, Ayo in SG role, Griff in the wing/slasher, Kipper in the 4 role, and Kofi in the 5 role....those starters would give us plenty of offensive weapons along with rebounding/athleticism, and best talent spread out to start games.

Feliz in PG role, Ayo/Trent in SG role, Williiams as wing/rebounder/Jones/Griffin in the 4 slot with Giorgi/Kofi/Hamlin in the 2nd wave of players. Still gives us plenty of fire power, especially with Giorgi back down low making bunnies, Feliz as a senior is accepting would be my guess, and Giorgi off the bench if it makes the team better would be just fine with this as well. Jones gets some more minutes to actually show something and if not, Kipper/Griffin take over as well.

Kipper is one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen in an Illini jersey. A lot of guys don't live up to their potential, or improve year to year, or transfer out before we can see what they really are, or never get a fair shake.

Kipper has successfully found about 150 new and strange ways to do bad things on the court, all while appearing to be on of the top 5ish players on the team. He makes a rediculously good behind the back pass... Gets called for a charge on the play (though I can't fully blame him for that, just recency bias there). Makes a great offensive move/rebound, bricks a shot that should've been an easy two (this has happened about 25 times in his career). He is so hot and cold, it isn't even a possession to possession up and down, it's a second to second thing.

I love his skills, they obviously are there. I chalk a lot of his mistakes up to sheer dumb luck, but I still feel like there's something else missing. If he could find that, he easily starts on this team.

He's trended up this year, which is good. I really hope he can finish his career on a high note.

Giorgi makes Kofi better because of his passing. Third on team with assists and 2nd of starters. Also avg 5.2 rebounds vs Kipper’s 1.6. Do not see Kipper over Giorgi as even close. There is a reason for our positive rebounding and it starts with two bigs.

Giorgi makes Kofi better because of his passing. Third on team with assists and 2nd of starters. Also avg 5.2 rebounds vs Kipper’s 1.6. Do not see Kipper over Giorgi as even close. There is a reason for our positive rebounding and it starts with two bigs.

Giorgi also makes a lot of dumb and bad passes. The fake shot pass he has backfires quite a bit.

Giorgi also makes a lot of dumb and bad passes. The fake shot pass he has backfires quite a bit.
Kipper's assist to TO ratio is around 1:2. GB's is about 1:1. Again, GB is the superior player. I'm having a hard time understanding why this is even a topic of conversation... GB is a steadying force on this team. Kipper is an enigma.

Kipper's assist to TO ratio is around 1:2. GB's is about 1:1. Again, GB is the superior player. I'm having a hard time understanding why this is even a topic of conversation... GB is a steadying force on this team. Kipper is an enigma.

I wasn't arguing Kipper is better, he is not. I cannot handle the boneheaded plays he makes. I'm just saying I don't think Giorgi is a smart passer.

I wasn't arguing Kipper is better, he is not. I cannot handle the boneheaded plays he makes. I'm just saying I don't think Giorgi is a smart passer.
If Giorgi were putting up 15 points and 8 rebounds, you live with those passes. I'm sure Jokic for the Nuggets has a lot of TOs and bad passes, but you live with those because he puts up other big numbers plus you get those awesome passes that he does complete.

Giorgi has a few sweet passes in a game, and some bone-headed ones that are off the mark, but just doesn't do enough extra (or even really enough really good passes) that makes you overlook those bad passes. IMO.

Giorgi, and Feliz are the only players consistently willing to make an interior pass right now. I think that complicates the idea some of you have with regard to GBs minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.