6 Kofi Cockburn, ILL 2019-20
5 Miles Bridges, MSU 2016-17 *

* - won B1G Freshman of the Year

— Illini Stats & Notes (@IlliniStats) January 13, 2020

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
*Yawn*

Only halfway to the record. Wake me up when (not if) he hits double-digits. :sleep:(y)

Kofi continues to perform as the schedule gets tougher. But are there really so few other high-impact freshmen in the league this year?

On the season
6: Kofi
3: Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
1: Malik Hall, MSU
1: Armaan Franklin, Indiana
1: DJ Carton, OSU
1: Joe Toussaint

11/18 was shared honors between Jackson-Davis and Hall, 12/16 shared between Kofi and Jackson-Davis, 12/23 shared between Franklin and Carton.

Season Averages between Kofi and Jackson-Davis are fairly close:

Kofi - 26.5 mpg / 14.8 ppg / 9.5 rpg / 0.7 apg / 1.4 bpg / 55.4% fg / 65.0% FT
TJD - 28.4 mpg / 14.6 ppg / 8.0 rpg / 0.9 apg / 2.1 bpg / 63.6% fg / 70.7% FT

Kofi - 26.5 mpg / 14.8 ppg / 9.5 rpg / 0.7 apg / 1.4 bpg / 55.4% fg / 65.0% FT
TJD - 28.4 mpg / 14.6 ppg / 8.0 rpg / 0.9 apg / 2.1 bpg / 63.6% fg / 70.7% FT

HUGE difference between #46-#40 coming into respective programs.

Wonder how the 2017 hires will be graded at the end of this season and under what criteria.

Underwood - 1st time ranked since 2014, 1st WI win since 2011(?); B10 freshman of week, maybe Ayo drafted, etc

Holtman - Producing best results, but easily inherited the best team and situation. Can he pull out of this losing streak?

Miller - Good roster, struggles with consistency, any better than Crean? What if Crean takes Georgia to tourney before Miller takes Indiana.

Wonder how the 2017 hires will be graded at the end of this season and under what criteria.

Underwood - 1st time ranked since 2014, 1st WI win since 2011(?); B10 freshman of week, maybe Ayo drafted, etc

Holtman - Producing best results, but easily inherited the best team and situation. Can he pull out of this losing streak?

Miller - Good roster, struggles with consistency, any better than Crean? What if Crean takes Georgia to tourney before Miller takes Indiana.
I think Crean could actually have decent success at UGA. SEC is so much weaker as a conference compared to the B1G and the coaching isn’t on the same level, so, big time recruits can make a bigger impact imo. His recruiting strengths could make them the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference some what consistently.

How is it possible the Purdue game is not on tv? Any chance of a late change?

Dan

Admin
Hasn't been assigned yet..it'll be on one of the espns (ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPNU).

Yeah that is wacky. Have to believe it will be picked up somewhere. Right now ESPN shows the Purdue game, the MSU game and the Ohio State game is not being on TV, but have to think a network will pick up every one of those games.

And there you go, Dan with the answer.

haasi

New York
Hasn't been assigned yet..it'll be on one of the espns (ESPN or ESPN2 or ESPNU).
Looks like Kentucky-Georgia will be on ESPN in that slot and our game and Kansas-K State aren’t assigned yet. So they’re probably deciding which game between us and Kansas goes to ESPN2 and which is on the U.

I think worst case, but honestly a realistic scenario is below (10-10):

NW - W
@PU - L
@MI - L
MN - W
@IA - W
MD - L
MSU - L
@RU - L
@PSU - L
NE - W
@NW - W
IN - L
@OSU - L
IA - W

I wish we were playing @RU and @PSU earlier, because those games will be rough, and after @PU, @MI, MD, MSU - we could be in a bit of a hole.

My top 3 games to flip to wins are:

IN, @PSU, MD (2 day turnaround for them, and after getting beat up a bit against RU).

Also, for you forever optimists: http://www.seed-madness.com/

And the best tool for conference forecasting: http://bball.notnothing.net/big10.php?sport=mbb

Speaking of playing games earlier, that is an interesting factor. When you play a team can have a significant affect on the outcome.

Think we got fortunate with when we played Wisconsin and that we only play them once. Since then Micah Potter has emerged with a 24 point game including 4 treys vs. Penn State. If Wiscy had that up their sleeve when we played them I imagine it would have been a loss. Just glad Alan, Ayo, and Trent hit the big shots.

Speaking of playing games earlier, that is an interesting factor. When you play a team can have a significant affect on the outcome.

Think we got fortunate with when we played Wisconsin and that we only play them once. Since then Micah Potter has emerged with a 24 point game including 4 treys vs. Penn State. If Wiscy had that up their sleeve when we played them I imagine it would have been a loss. Just glad Alan, Ayo, and Trent hit the big shots.
Might be attributable to match ups, too. Penn St does have as much size as we do, defensively Penn St ranked 135 vs Illini 71 overall and 231 vs 91 in defending 3 point shooting. Potter played 28 mins against MD, played 11, 13, 15 in his other Big Ten games, 13 last night against MD. He's helping them, no doubt, but other than the outlier game vs Penn St, he looks pretty consistently like he played against us.

I'm not going to get too caught up with the recent success. I think we've had some really close finishes, and that Wiscy game could have gone the other way. Very happy to see the team get better and enjoy the results, but I'm still more concerned about how they handle success than anything else. I think there's another level these guys can play at, but it will take a lot of focus.

AG emerging as a more reliable, starter-level guy is a really big deal IMO. He's scored double digits in 4 of our last 5 games, and we weren't far from being a competitive team in the conference. Over that same stretch, he's averaging nearly 7 RBs. But there's a subtle value in having a guy like him rotate out on the perimeter that stretches the defense. DMW does some things well, but, we really need a guy who can threaten teams with 3s to attack the way we operate best.

These guys can break the drought, and do it in style. Hope they're up for it

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Not sure how many here are on Reddit, more specifically r/CollegeBasketball, but a user there (u/jloose128) does an "Imperialism Map" based on counties as the year goes on. Each D-1 school starts with the counties that they're the closest to. After each game the winner takes any territory that the losing team had. Eventually territories grow and combine and only a handful of teams have any territory. This map hasn't been updated with last night's craziness as it's from Tuesday. With the win against Rutgers we became the only team in the B1G that has any territory, so what we own will bounce around the conference assuming we lose a game. Look at all that orange!

r9lk5zno20b41.png

not sure where to ask this question, but does anybody here have a favorite Big 10 basketball podcast, preferably one that focuses on Illinois that they could recommend to me? Been searching but haven't found anything to promising.

thanks

not sure where to ask this question, but does anybody here have a favorite Big 10 basketball podcast, preferably one that focuses on Illinois that they could recommend to me? Been searching but haven't found anything to promising.

thanks
The only decent one that I've found is the Illini Inquirer Podcast from 247Sports. It has Werner and Piper talking football and basketball

thanks guys, I'll check them out. any ones that are just BIG . 10 bball related?

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
We all know this from watching, but the team is playing dramatically better in conference games. Not a Kenpom subscriber, so I checked Bart Torvik's rankings. BARTHAG is his Power Rating that measures a team's chance of beating an average D1 team.

Non-conference games only (12th in B1G, 78th nationally):
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 12.28.03 PM.png

In-conference games only (2nd in B1G):
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 12.28.33 PM.png

Nationally we are ranked #31 including all games, #12 when only counting conference games. Weird ride so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.