Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chambana13

Charleston, IL
Do games ever get rescheduled for national tv? We have 5 Sat/Sun games left. It would be a shame if we stay on top of the conference but don't get any of the national spotlight. Most of our games left are on BTN/FS1 but we should be playing on CBS/Fox/ESPN.

Also, we don't have any Saturday home games so no chance for College Gameday to come to Champaign. But we do play @Rutgers on a Saturday. I would think Gameday would love a chance to visit the RAC if both teams keep winning.

no instead those major networks love showing a 9-10 North Carolina team. Those networks are a joke. Bias as it comes.

I agree with you though, would love to see a game or two get moved to a national spotlight!

That North Carolina team was not 9-10 when the TV schedule was put together. Most likely they were tied with us at 0-0.

Which is why it doesn’t make any sense for Whitman to do a complete 180...he knew exactly what he was getting when he hired BU and OA....BU wants to run his program a certain way....especially in recruiting if you guys get what I’m saying, BU thought Whitman was on board with that then he completely flipped...BU will have a chat with Whitman at the end of the year.

Hopefully, when BU brings that hardware into the office, there won't be much of a meeting... 😂

Think this has anything to do with Gentry?

Gentry has exceeded my expectations when it comes to in-game coaching. Has done a heck of a job with that as well as player development. A lot of credit to Gentry for the progress we have seen with TF and Ayo. Chin does a great job with Ayo as well.

Recruiting is still a question mark, but he is busting his rear recruiting Luke Goode.

Nothing but a rumor at this point, but I have heard Geoff Alexander has an interest in the Evansville job where he previously coached. Told if that happens, that would BU would like to slide Gentry over to Assistant to the Head Coach, and then bring in another assistant. Personally, I would like to see Dee Brown or The Rev.

Of those 2, would like to see the Rev. I think Dee needs more time to work on his coaching skills.

Gentry has exceeded my expectations when it comes to in-game coaching. Has done a heck of a job with that as well as player development. A lot of credit to Gentry for the progress we have seen with TF and Ayo. Chin does a great job with Ayo as well.

Recruiting is still a question mark, but he is busting his rear recruiting Luke Goode.

Nothing but a rumor at this point, but I have heard Geoff Alexander has an interest in the Evansville job where he previously coached. Told if that happens, that would BU would like to slide Gentry over to Assistant to the Head Coach, and then bring in another assistant. Personally, I would like to see Dee Brown or The Rev.
Gentry came in and the first thing he told BU was he had to change his style and that is just won’t work in the league.

Weren’t we grooming Dee for an assistant position before and then he resigned as director of player development. The Rev would be a excellent candidate though.

Weren’t we grooming Dee for an assistant position before and then he resigned as director of player development. The Rev would be a excellent candidate though.

Yes, there was something that I will not talk about that led to his resignation.

Dee is such a genuine dude and that guy bleeds orange and blue.

chiefini

Rockford, Illinois
Yes, there was something that I will not talk about that led to his resignation.

Dee is such a genuine dude and that guy bleeds orange and blue.
Agree Indy. I won't talk about it either. Dee needs to show he can handle his responsibilities and assistant coaching duties well at UIC and pay his dues for a while, in order to regain his status at UIUC.

But don't they have to be games ESPN already had the rights to?
I doubt we're talking about ESPN Game Day (that would only be @Rutgers, but CBS, has priority and I believe can broadcast two of the scheduled Sunday afternoon games. In these days I not sure it matters, since ay college basketball fan can get almost any game. But if anyone thinks it does, here's the plan: The Big Ten Tourney Semis and Finals and the Final Four have the "national broadcast" status, so how bout we just plan on playing in those games.

I believe Todd Lickliter was hired to take W McCarty's place.....don't know if thats just to finish out the year and they'll do a search at that time or stick with Lickliter going forward

Back, despite the lack of popular demand ... updated through today's games. Until someone begs me to stop, I'll try to dump this here at the end of each weekend.

Yes, it's a lot to take in, but once you "get it", it's kinda interesting to look at; for example ...

Scan a team's row to see ...
  • results - Green is good (W). Bright green is better (@W). Pink is bad (@L). Bright red is worse (L).
  • games remaining (white cells with dates)
  • byes (grey cells)
Scan the columns from left to right for ...
  • the fluorescent green "@W" cells - i.e. road wins. Those further to the left are against teams higher up in the standings. You can see that most are clustered to the right, against the bottom teams in the league.
  • the bright red "L" cells - i.e. home losses. Notice that columns to the left tend to contain more bright red as the better teams tend to inflict more damage upon others. You can quickly spot that Illinois is the only column with 3, none of which are against the bottom 2 teams. You can also quickly spot that Michigan St. and Maryland each have a pair, and each of those pairs include Northwestern.
b10matrix.png

This is not the same team as a month ago...

You know,...
I understand your point, but, I completely disagree. This IS that team. I’ve said so from the beginning. Are they playing better? Yes. Are they now winning? Yes. Is it exciting? Yes. Have they bought in to what they are doing? Yes.

Is this the same team? Yes, it is. Brad Underwood and staff ARE good/great coaches. Welcome aboard. I’m still holding all three of my remaining losses. Y’all wanted to know what I am smoking? Nothing. Just watching... ;)

Last edited:
I believe Todd Lickliter was hired to take W McCarty's place.....don't know if thats just to finish out the year and they'll do a search at that time or stick with Lickliter going forward

You are correct. I was told Alexander had an interest the day McCarty got fired and hadn't heard much about it since. They sure moved quickly...

I was looking at schedules, and I feel like Michigan State's schedule is a good bit easier than ours (especially remaining games). They have a bunch of road games remaining, but do not ever have to travel to Rutgers or Iowa.

I was looking at schedules, and I feel like Michigan State's schedule is a good bit easier than ours (especially remaining games). They have a bunch of road games remaining, but do not ever have to travel to Rutgers or Iowa.
Illini have six remaining at home, and five on the road. If they can win two of the roadies and lose only one at home, going 7-4 down the stretch, I would be thrilled. THRILLED! I think that 22-9, plus a win or two in the BTT, gets them a five-seed with their SOS. I never imagined that a month ago after the Miznoz loss. Heck, most were pessimistic about dancing at all just 25 days ago after getting curb stomped by Sparty.

If MSU and Illinois are near each other in the standings going into the final 5 games I think Illinois can take it. MSU finishes with a game against Nebraska, 2 home games against Iowa and OSU, and 2 road games against Maryland and PSU. Illinois on the other hand closes the season out with games against Nebraska and Northwestern, 2 home games against Indiana and Iowa and an away game @ OSU.

Up first, Illinois needs to handle Minnesota and I'll be cheering for Wisconsin to protect their home when MSU comes this week.

"— Cockburn played his first three years of high school basketball at Christ the King in Queens, which is in the same Catholic League where Antigua once starred. Antigua had followed him since the eighth grade in Jamaica and was familiar with his youth coaches."
^^^- from article by Tate .... https://www.news-gazette.com/sports...cle_a3ccddfd-3a7a-5c63-a5e5-ff067b846d99.html

Why does every announcer say that Kofi has played only 3 years of basketball???

This says he played his first 3 years in Queens. Then he played at Oak Hill. Is it just an exaggeration? Are they actually ignorant and believe he only played 3 years?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
"— Cockburn played his first three years of high school basketball at Christ the King in Queens, which is in the same Catholic League where Antigua once starred. Antigua had followed him since the eighth grade in Jamaica and was familiar with his youth coaches."
^^^- from article by Tate .... https://www.news-gazette.com/sports...cle_a3ccddfd-3a7a-5c63-a5e5-ff067b846d99.html

Why does every announcer say that Kofi has played only 3 years of basketball???

This says he played his first 3 years in Queens. Then he played at Oak Hill. Is it just an exaggeration? Are they actually ignorant and believe he only played 3 years?

By the end of the season, some announcers will be saying he took up hoops this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.