Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the true rivalry has been revealed. It is not NWU or IU. Despite the hate for Mizzu and losses the last two years they wil not compete long term. Iowa will be the target.
As far as our rivalry’s go, it seems like Indiana was always my main one, at least since I started watching Illinois basketball. Indiana always had coaches that made them easy to hate.....Knight, Sampson, Crean, etc. I’m not at a point yet where I hate Miller at that same level. However, Fran and most of the Iowa players have definitely filled that void for me, so I’m in!

Tacomallini

Washington State
Compelling arguments, all. Having relatives in St. Louis area on both sides of the border, it’s tough for me not to hate Mizzou more than any other rival. But as much and I like to root against Clownso, Fran cranks that up a few notches to punchable face status. How cool would it have been to have the rubber match w Iowa in the B1G tournament last season?

Indiana when they were rolling and the hated Bob Knight was at the helm. He belittled and denigrated Lou (with, frankly, a ring of truth, but his ire was extreme and almost scary). It's Iowa now. They're consistently good, they shuck corn too, and the hatred is mutual. All the ingredients for a great, ongoing rivalry. We were irrelevant there for awhile, but not anymore. Now, bring 'em on!

Last edited:
Sorry. Mizzou is still and will always be my public enemy number one. As a Metro East native, there just isn't any other way.

For me, any out-of-conference team can't be a full-on rival. And Mizzou just isn't legit enough to matter much, nor ever will be. With Clownso at the helm, they're even more insignificant. But really, who cares?

sacraig

The desert
For me, any out-of-conference team can't be a full-on rival. And Mizzou just isn't legit enough to matter much, nor ever will be. With Clownso at the helm, they're even more insignificant. But really, who cares?

All of this tells me you didn't grow up in the Metro East, and that is totally okay. In the absence of a longstanding rivalry (e.g. Ohio State/Michigan), we get to spread our hate around more diversely.

From those in the know, what are the odds of Ayo and Kofi returning next year?

Take a look at the two pertinent threads, one for each player. The consensus is it's far less likely Ayo returns than Kofi, but Covid makes everything less predictable.

iistyger

Peoria
All of this tells me you didn't grow up in the Metro East, and that is totally okay. In the absence of a longstanding rivalry (e.g. Ohio State/Michigan), we get to spread our hate around more diversely.
I grew up in the western part of the state (Hancock county) and hated Iowa for as long as I can remember. Now I have moved to Central Illinois and do more in Eastern Illinois. My hate is now distributed between Iowa and Indiana. Geography definitely makes a difference. And UNC.... they suck.

Watching the final game against Iowa...man this next season can’t come soon enough. This team would have gone far, at least sweet 16. Still think people are underselling this upcoming seasons team. Guard play will be unreal and of Kofi returns this team should be a top 25 team. This is my starting 5, I think one of the transfers will start possibly but man that guard line up is tough not to put in the starting 5.
1. Curbelo
2. Frazier
3. Adam Miller
4. Damonte
5. Kofi

Watching the final game against Iowa...man this next season can’t come soon enough. This team would have gone far, at least sweet 16. Still think people are underselling this upcoming seasons team. Guard play will be unreal and of Kofi returns this team should be a top 25 team. This is my starting 5, I think one of the transfers will start possibly but man that guard line up is tough not to put in the starting 5.
1. Curbelo
2. Frazier
3. Adam Miller
4. Damonte
5. Kofi

Would agree with this starting lineup by mid season.....but starting 2 new comers (Curbelo and Miller) right out of the gate would be a little bit of a surprise...not saying it won't happen, but BU might want more experience starting out and work the younger guys into the starting mix by late Dec. or early Jan.

I grew up in the western part of the state (Hancock county) and hated Iowa for as long as I can remember. Now I have moved to Central Illinois and do more in Eastern Illinois. My hate is now distributed between Iowa and Indiana. Geography definitely makes a difference. And UNC.... they suck.
Why is it that Hancock County is the only place in the state that people say they live in the county rather than a town? My mom grew up in horselick. IA/IND both, but living in NC has also put Chapel Hill right up there. Bet no one from outside Hancock County will get that reference.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.