Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the best Illini team ever "on paper"? In the last 30 years?

1: Curbello
2: Frazier
3: Ayo
4: Foster Jr
5: Kofi

Bench:
Miller
Damonte
Giorgi
Grandison
Hutcherson
Hawkins
BBV
Hamlin

Bench:
Miller
Damonte
Giorgi
Grandison
Hutcherson
Hawkins
BBV
Hamlin

It would be a very formidable team, but it's almost impossible to declare anyone better than the 2004-5 team unless they win a national championship. And I noticed that your 30-year window conveniently excluded the Flyin' Illini :)

Bench:
Miller
Damonte
Giorgi
Grandison
Hutcherson
Hawkins
BBV
Hamlin

Miller would be starting over Curbelo, but yes, according to recruiting rankings, that would have to be the best.

It would be a very formidable team, but it's almost impossible to declare anyone better than the 2004-5 team unless they win a national championship. And I noticed that your 30-year window conveniently excluded the Flyin' Illini :)
I completely agree. Even if this lineup would materialize who actually believes this team would win the BIG 10 let alone play for a national championship?

I completely agree. Even if this lineup would materialize who actually believes this team would win the BIG 10 let alone play for a national championship?

Don't forget, that team started 29-0 and was one last-second three-pointer from going undefeated in Big 10 play. It's hard for me to even imagine another team dong that again

No agent for Ayo or at least one that is public.
So there's only a few agents he could sign with and come back to school if he pulls out right? Like they have to get some sort of qualification?

I guess that it probably isn't a great idea to just hire one of those guys just because you can come back, but if there wasn't any binding contract, then I dont see why not. Unless you think your family/friends can navigate those waters well enough alone--which could be the case. His career has always seemed so well planned out to me.

So there's only a few agents he could sign with and come back to school if he pulls out right? Like they have to get some sort of qualification?

I guess that it probably isn't a great idea to just hire one of those guys just because you can come back, but if there wasn't any binding contract, then I dont see why not. Unless you think your family/friends can navigate those waters well enough alone--which could be the case. His career has always seemed so well planned out to me.
I think I had some earlier confusion about that... the first year I believe all certified NBA agents were granted NCAA certification, and then following that year the agents needed to certify themselves, and it doesn't seem like many have.

At first I thought it was no-brainer for these agents to seek certification, but maybe they don't desire signing contracts with potential returnees. I imagine its similar to real estate agents avoiding clients who are "just looking" to see if they find something they like.

Don't forget, that team started 29-0 and was one last-second three-pointer from going undefeated in Big 10 play. It's hard for me to even imagine another team dong that again

And won at Wisconsin and at Michigan State inna year they went to the elite eight and final four, respectively.

After those wins I knew that was a special team.

That
That lineup shown would absolutely lead us to a Big Ten Title. Easily best team on paper not counting the 05 team.

1: Quintin Snider
2: Kendrick Nunn
3: Malcolm Hill
4: Cliff Alexander
5: Nnanna Eqwu

That looked great on paper at one time.

Yeah, lots of teams look great on paper before they actually play any games. Of course, that's the fun part of following recruiting, dreaming about future line-ups and watching them destroy teams in your head :sleep: :)

1: Quintin Snider
2: Kendrick Nunn
3: Malcolm Hill
4: Cliff Alexander
5: Nnanna Eqwu

That looked great on paper at one time.

The whole Cliffmas thing was right before I got to the fully obsessed illini fan level and really started following recruiting..

What were the thoughts on him on here? Without a doubt I know there had to be hype but was it unanimous or did anyone have it right and have concerns about him being "just a dunker"

Bench:
Miller
Damonte
Giorgi
Grandison
Hutcherson
Hawkins
BBV
Hamlin
04-05 would destroy this team. Flyin' Illini would destroy this team.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
What were the thoughts on him on here? Without a doubt I know there had to be hype but was it unanimous or did anyone have it right and have concerns about him being "just a dunker"
Lots of hype. Lots of hope that it would be a watershed moment for recruiting and for establishing a Chicago pipeline. But I think most people were aware that his highlights were very one note. At the minimum, there was a belief that he could be our Sean May. Some called him "Baby Shaq" during those days. Domination through overwhelming power and athleticism (even if skill was lacking).

At least, that's how I remember it.

sacraig

The desert
The whole Cliffmas thing was right before I got to the fully obsessed illini fan level and really started following recruiting..

Cliffmas may have been the first time I dropped an F-bomb in front of my parents. They were in town visiting me at my grad school apartment and my dad and I turned on the commitment ceremony and the rest is history. What a d-bag.

sacraig

The desert
Lots of hype. Lots of hope that it would be a watershed moment for recruiting and for establishing a Chicago pipeline. But I think most people were aware that his highlights were very one note. At the minimum, there was a belief that he could be our Sean May. Some called him "Baby Shaq" during those days. Domination through overwhelming power and athleticism (even if skill was lacking).

At least, that's how I remember it.

Don't forget the flock of "insiders" all saying he was a done deal to Illinois, so a lot of folks went into it thinking he was ours. That made the hat trick all the more painful. By some accounts, it seems the coaching staff even thought they had him in the bag and were surprised by the outcome, which probably relates to why the various "insiders" were wrong even if they were correct in the past. No idea what the pay sites were saying; I refuse to subscribe.

Status
Not open for further replies.