Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't find much on him. Needs some strength and weight. Plays for the wolves. Reclass that was going to go to prep school.

Edit: thanks for the link with high school highlights.

If Ayo is back (and Kofi), the players are going to have to sort it out. The team depth will be spectacular, except possibly the 4. Will be interesting to hear practice reports.

We'll have 2 legit BIG centers in Kofi and Giorgi*
I don't know who plays the 4, but obviously the staff trusts DMW for his defense, ball handling, and decision making.
1-3, you almost have too many weapons. Freshman guards make mistakes, but both AC and Miller are going to be legit BIG TEN guards sooner rather than later. Makes me wonder if we see a lot of small ball line-ups early to see how well they work.

In my mind, every one of our guards brings something special to the table, and all of them will get significant minutes --it's just a question of how quickly the freshman adjust and compete.

I love that these guys are coming into an established winning culture. The expectations are being rebuilt to where we have to compete in a very tough conference. If the BIG has six top-25 teams, it's going to be brutal.

*Edit- I assume staff is still working on Giorgi playing the 4, but I think of him more as a 5.

The 4 is the question in my mind. Assuming Grandison will take Kipper’s place as the small 4, who will play the big 4 when Giorgi is playing the 5? BBV and Hawkins are the obvious choices but we haven’t gotten any updates on their readiness. The 4 has been our weakness since Black left but they have recruited the position but we have still to see the results.
In terms of Curbelo it is immaterial rather he starts as he will see a lot of minutes regardless.

Can see BU loving a combination of Lieb and Hawkins as two 4’s and no center. If they can play, very tough matchup. Take the oppositions bigs out of the center and our guards have A freeway to the basket.

If Ayo is back (and Kofi), the players are going to have to sort it out. The team depth will be spectacular, except possibly the 4. Will be interesting to hear practice reports.

We'll have 2 legit BIG centers in Kofi and Giorgi*
I don't know who plays the 4, but obviously the staff trusts DMW for his defense, ball handling, and decision making.
1-3, you almost have too many weapons. Freshman guards make mistakes, but both AC and Miller are going to be legit BIG TEN guards sooner rather than later. Makes me wonder if we see a lot of small ball line-ups early to see how well they work.

In my mind, every one of our guards brings something special to the table, and all of them will get significant minutes --it's just a question of how quickly the freshman adjust and compete.

I love that these guys are coming into an established winning culture. The expectations are being rebuilt to where we have to compete in a very tough conference. If the BIG has six top-25 teams, it's going to be brutal.

*Edit- I assume staff is still working on Giorgi playing the 4, but I think of him more as a 5.
Coleman Hawkins will get playing time. He has played with big time NBA talent and did more than good his own and even standout also. So please don't overlook him! And this Brandon Lieb kid has some talent and a nice outside stroke. Now we need Frenchie Tchiko to sign and we'll be set... BBV and Hawkins can play the 4 very well...

w
Can see BU loving a combination of Lieb and Hawkins as two 4’s and no center. If they can play, very tough matchup. Take the oppositions bigs out of the center and our guards have A freeway to the basket.
WHooo boy.... that would definitely be nice! Because they both are excellent shots from long range. And consistent.

I like what I see with Lieb...moves well, nice touch, feel for the floor, AND 7 ft tall! Welcome aboard the O & B train.
You don't see too many 7 footers get the kind of arc on their shot that this kid gets. Most big guys shoot line drives. He's skinny, but I can't recall the Illini having a 7 footer that didn't end up being a major contributor at some point in their career. You can't teach tall, and boy, does it help. Pretty good get this late in the summer.

You don't see too many 7 footers get the kind of arc on their shot that this kid gets. Most big guys shoot line drives. He's skinny, but I can't recall the Illini having a 7 footer that didn't end up being a major contributor at some point in their career. You can't teach tall, and boy, does it help. Pretty good get this late in the summer.
thats why i loved watching frank the tank shoot it

He was in between ‘20 and ‘21. Don’t think he picks us if he didn’t want to play. What my man concern is Kofi coming back and having to impress scouts with his outside game. I can see him dropping weight and never being dominate down low. It’s not what the nba wants. I hate that about college ball now a days. The testing the water thing always results in a worse player returning because they try to make the changes they were told. So they told Kofi he needs to be able to guard and shoot outside. That’s not the player he is. Just upsets me. Like Ayo shooting so many mid range shots last season to prove he could. I get it for the kids, but more often than not, the player isn’t the same and usually for the worse.

Getting awfully worked up about a hypothetical that hasn't even happened.

Olaf Blab

Dren1

Glenview, IL

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Let's get this young man in the cafeteria!

TautDecisiveGermanspaniel-size_restricted.gif

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Lieb needs to spend some quality time with Fletch, but I'm pretty happy with his footwork, mobility, and aggression around the rim. With Lieb's size, Antigua will have a lot of promising raw material to work with. Could look really good for us as an upperclassman.

Of all the "projects" or "developmental players" in the last 30 years, which player really exceeded expectations and evolved into a first rate player. the proverbial "diamond in the rough?"
Does Mike Davis or Warren Carter count? Egwu?

edit: Robert Archibald?

Last edited:

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
A Dirk Nowitzki clone would be just fine with me!

Status
Not open for further replies.