Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

The way I see it, Ayo returning seems to be worth a consensus ~20 spots in the preseason polls. National CBB pundits like Rothstein seem to have us ranked in the mid-30s without Ayo and breaking the top 10 with him. Illini fans on this board seem to think we’re around 25 without him and a potential FF team with him. I think that’s testament to how important of a player he was last season. Most teams won’t jump from out of the polls to “consensus top 10 team” with the return of just one player.

B-ILL

Working From Home

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I'm stocking up on extra popcorn for the DMFW playing time hand wringing. Just insert "Hutch" for Tevian Jones.
Wait for it.

PT is going to be of absolutely flawless diamond..... platinum level value if Ayo returns and any of Hutch, Grandison, BBV, or The Freshmen take off.

Hutcherson 175 lbs +20 = 195
Grandison. 200 lbs + 20 = 220
BU said they had added 20 lbs but don’t believe it is Hutch that is Kipper replacement but Grandy.
Hope Hutch more like a Bardo. Mean type not duplicate although that would be nice.

From a @Goode-for-3 post in the recruiting thread: " Austin Hutcherson shot 44.3% from 3 on 122 attempts and 39.2% on 166 attempts in his 2 years at Wesleyan."

That stat, combined with these highlights (albeit against lesser competition) and Underwood's confirmation of "best athlete" confirms that Hutcherson is going to end up being Kipper Nichols 2.0... :D

FYI, here's a link to those shooting stats (so you don't have to just take my word on it): https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Austin-Hutcherson/Summary/129138

What’s super encouraging is Hutch’s shooting form, it’s pure, it’s a jumper, doesn’t shoot from his waist and can get his own shot off the dribble. We haven’t had that in a long time, with Miller, hutch and Trent we open a lot for Kofi. Very very encouraging.

The way I see it, Ayo returning seems to be worth a consensus ~20 spots in the preseason polls. National CBB pundits like Rothstein seem to have us ranked in the mid-30s without Ayo and breaking the top 10 with him. Illini fans on this board seem to think we’re around 25 without him and a potential FF team with him. I think that’s testament to how important of a player he was last season. Most teams won’t jump from out of the polls to “consensus top 10 team” with the return of just one player.
Ayo was 1st team All B1G, so he's far from an ordinary player. Plus his major clutchness (my word), make him special.

Both back, we top 8 in the country to start.
Is that a prediction or are you saying they are for sure? Or then a third, you are saying if it does happen you are predicting we are top 8? Or are you saying the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42? Because I'm just lost on lost here apparently.

Hutcherson 175 lbs +20 = 195
Grandison. 200 lbs + 20 = 220
BU said they had added 20 lbs but don’t believe it is Hutch that is Kipper replacement but Grandy.
Hope Hutch more like a Bardo. Mean type not duplicate although that would be nice.

I agree with your assessment. I would love for some information regarding Hutcherson/Grandison from an insider. The potential/functionality of these two intrigues me, but I’d like to know if practice reports support Underwood’s “coach speak.” We all know that coach throws around the word elite quite loosely.

I agree with your assessment. I would love for some information regarding Hutcherson/Grandison from an insider. The potential/functionality of these two intrigues me, but I’d like to know if practice reports support Underwood’s “coach speak.” We all know that coach throws around the word elite quite loosely.

Alex Legion was "elite" in practice....once hit 15 three's in a row in practice.;)

Thinking of Illini big man poll. Would you guys consider Brian Cook and Marcus Griffin a 4 or 5? Ik Archibald was a 5.

I believe it has been said that Hutcherson will play the 1-3 and Grandison the 2-4. Don't remember where I saw that but I think it's a reasonable assumption. Roster makeup would push both to the bigger end of those ranges. Of course it depends how positionless we are at the 1-4.

If you dig through the logs you'll find someone saying that in practice Grandison was showing enough talent/ability in practice to have been a starter on the 2019-20 roster if he had been eligible. I was doing a deep dive into past posts last week and I cant remember if I saw it in the discussion about Alan Griffin leaving or something from back in February mid season... I definitely read someone talking about watching a practice and saying that Jacob was ready to start though.

texillwek

🔶🔹🔸🔷
@Goode-for-3
I believe it was Ryan Baker recently on Saturday Sports Talk telling Steve/Loren that one of the two two transfers sitting out this season is an absolute lock to start next year. He's been playing "lights out" in practices and is a dead-eye from long range. He refused to divulge which of the two it was.
Believe from info here that it is Grandison. If he is a starter, probably at the four. With Alan or DaMonte at the three, we still have good rebounding but still problem defending against large four. Seems much more practical to me with Kofi at the five, but Giorgi needs some size to help him when Kofi is out. Maybe Verdonk playing with Giorgi as a duo. Believe next years team will be a much different personality. May have excellent shooting with Alan, Miller, Trent, Hutch, Grandison and improved DaMonte and Giorgi but defense will still determine playing time.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Thinking of Illini big man poll.

giphy-downsized.gif

What does “start” mean to everyone? They’re on the court at tip-off, and that’s it, no other stipulation? Does it mean log majority of minutes at a given position? Just curious what definition of “starter” is before it’s debated.

What does “start” mean to everyone? They’re on the court at tip-off, and that’s it, no other stipulation? Does it mean log majority of minutes at a given position? Just curious what definition of “starter” is before it’s debated.
I believe the most important 5 on the floor are the last ones

Status
Not open for further replies.