Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice video. AceWolf's swagger jumps out. He's got NBA athleticism and oozes confidence. No doubt he can be a go to guy once he knows what he's doing, which probably won't take long.
Hawkins looks like a shooter (don't they all in highlights?) Nice stroke. Not sure he's fast enough to be an elite defender, but his length should bother guys.
Curbelo looks like a guy who makes others better. You can see the gears moving constantly as he picks his spots.

Great class --very happy with it. Guys will need some time to develop, but we're at a point where we have depth.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Looks a lot like Kaminski to me.

Man, that would be a great comp.

If Lieb can get to 235-240 by his junior year and still shoot....he will be awesome. Going up against Kofi for a year in practice will get him ready to bang in the B1G!

I actually think we have a chance to be elite defensively next year and may need to improve on offense as the season progresses (assuming no Ayo). Trent, Damonte, Kofi, and Adam are all likely above average defenders in the Big Ten. I’m still not sure who our go-to guy is going to be on offense this year. I think we’ll get our best wins next season (a lot like this past season) when we hold our opponents under ~65.
I think Trent is the go-to guy. He was in his freshman year and has the advantage of a much better team behind him. Having Kofi as a weapon down low and other shooters makes it very difficult to isolate on one man and the defense may determine the shooter but Trent will be the pivot.

Does this tell us anything about Kofi? Can afford a project if he will cover next year. Or we don’t have any other options.
I doubt it. I think we needed another big in the system regardless. I think it signals that we have given up on finding a better 13th option this late in the year and we are preparing for the future, sort of like the 2 sitouts last year. Now if they think 11 & 12 are open & they have plans for those or not, no idea. If they are convinced Ayo is gone, it still gives them some room if an opportunity comes up. Some of the bigs like Mac seem much more likely if Kofi was leaving... so that might be a zero sum game,

Man, that would be a great comp.

If Lieb can get to 235-240 by his junior year and still shoot....he will be awesome. Going up against Kofi for a year in practice will get him ready to bang in the B1G!
I’m with you on the first half, but I picture him going up against Kofi as sending him to a gun fight with a butter knife. Not sure he learns much other than the importance of getting to 250 if he wants to play under the basket.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I’m with you on the first half, but I picture him going up against Kofi as sending him to a gun fight with a butter knife. Not sure he learns much other than the importance of getting to 250 if he wants to play under the basket.

Well, obviously he's not physically ready for that battle yet. However, it's been mentioned by numerous big time players that playing against bigger, older, more experienced competition was critical to their development.

a place like Illinois with its proud history, coupled with its closeness to talent-rich Chicago, suggests Underwood has the firepower at his disposal to make Illinois a real force, not just next season, but for years to come.

Remember when folks regularly trotted out sleeping giant? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice ... ah, hell, who am I kidding? I'm in every time.

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
Yes, there were quite a few players that went to the Prolific games when they were in CU.
I saw Prolific play a couple full games last winter against some very good competition. Coleman was probably third best player but he seldom got the ball as part of their offense. He seemed to be content to play defense, rebound and get an occasional open three. Lots of upside in my opinion.

I saw Prolific play a couple full games last winter against some very good competition. Coleman was probably third best player but he seldom got the ball as part of their offense. He seemed to be content to play defense, rebound and get an occasional open three. Lots of upside in my opinion.
Sounds like Giorgi’s HS experience. Similar freshman year would be ok.

I think Trent is the go-to guy. He was in his freshman year and has the advantage of a much better team behind him. Having Kofi as a weapon down low and other shooters makes it very difficult to isolate on one man and the defense may determine the shooter but Trent will be the pivot.
If Kofi is in Champaign, I think he is the focal point on offense. We saw flashes last season of what he could be. If he makes any kind of Sophomore jump, he is going to be a mismatch against every team in the country. He could be a force of nature in the post. I’m not sure anyone else on the roster will consistently create as many problems for a defense as he will.

If Kofi is in Champaign, I think he is the focal point on offense. We saw flashes last season of what he could be. If he makes any kind of Sophomore jump, he is going to be a mismatch against every team in the country. He could be a force of nature in the post. I’m not sure anyone else on the roster will consistently create as many problems for a defense as he will.

I always start thinking about sophomore years Caleb Swanigan at Purdue a few years back. Totally dominant big man. Except Kofis got him by about 3” and 30 lbs.

Fairly similar freshman year stats. Swanigan averaged 19 pts and 12 rebounds Sophomore year

Last edited:
How:alma-mater:does Lieb he compare to Tisdale at the same stage. Weber threatened to pull the offer from Tisdale after he committed after his level of effort dropped during his high school season.

Brandon Lieb averaged 13.5 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks per game as a senior for Deerfield HS (Class 3A). He was listed 6-11 205; ranked 2 stars, the 467th best prospect, and the 80th best center by 247 composite. Rivals had him 7-0 2005, unranked and 3 stars. Hudl has a nice highlights video:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10450671/5e74fda7e985870d2cbdb473

Mike Tisdale averaged 28.6 points, 14 rebounds, and five blocks as a senior for Riverton HS (Class 2A). He was listed 6-11 205 by Rivals; ranked 3 stars and the 125th best prospect. In 247's dubious retroactive composite he is listed 6-11 205, 4 stars, ranked the 103rd best prospect, and the 10th best center. Here is highlight video:

Would take a second Tisdale anytime. Honorable mention all BIG in soph, jr, and sr seasons. They do look like similar HS players although Tisdale’s stats considerably higher. Also shot .404 from 3pt in sr yr at UI. Will never be a Kofi but opponents won’t have a Kofi either.

DReq

Always Illini
Central Illinois
Brandon Lieb averaged 13.5 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks per game as a senior for Deerfield HS (Class 3A). He was listed 6-11 205; ranked 2 stars, the 467th best prospect, and the 80th best center by 247 composite. Rivals had him 7-0 2005, unranked and 3 stars. Hudl has a nice highlights video:

I don't think even Fletch can put 1800 pounds on that frame. Should block up the lane very well...

His highlights look better than Meyers Leonard's in my opinion. He certainly looks stronger than Nick Smith. His skills around the basket look solid & I like the idea of him practicing against Kofi for a year.

There is always hyperbole around new commits. I agree he seems to have a high celing imho due to his coordination, bball skills,. If he outs in the work I agree he can be a nice stretch 4 that Wisky seems to develop. I see more coordination and fluidity than Tisdale at same stage.

**Don't compare to Leonard. Meyers should of been a MCAA, he started for the Nike USA bball world summit game, 13th pick in NBA.

Great to hear comments from Bardo on various topics especially him thinking Ayo returns alobg with Kofi.

Also glad to hear his admiration for Coach Hebson as he personally matured and became a father. As a student Bardo spoke to a group of about 20 studebts following his final four run. I was disappointed to hear him say he was not a fan of his coach going into his senior year. Can't recall the reason but I think Bardo felt like he was held back as a player. May be some truth to that, as Bardo was an anomaly back then as a 6'6 pg who could hit the 3 and do some things inside and transistion. Just those aspects never fully developed for NBA.

TMC999

Not Iowa
Would take a second Tisdale anytime. Honorable mention all BIG in soph, jr, and sr seasons. They do look like similar HS players although Tisdale’s stats considerably higher. Also shot .404 from 3pt in sr yr at UI. Will never be a Kofi but opponents won’t have a Kofi either.
Chainsaw 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.