Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought there were 105 candidates to get invites, among which the NBA teams agreed on a more selective group?

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
I thought there were 105 candidates to get invites, among which the NBA teams agreed on a more selective group?
I'm happy to be corrected, but I'm reading that there is an option to whittle the group down to 60-70, but it's not guaranteed to happen. And I wouldn't expect any decision to be made by Aug 3, either way.

He wasnt going to reclass he was going to prep school, however I think with and if kofi does not come back we will be more likely to sell him on the reclass.
Being able to come in and contribute right away is a big deal for some of these kids.
We will see

Best bet to keep Kofi is NCAA to change withdrawal date. But time is running out. If they dont Kofi is gone. If they do extend it then there is a chance he stays.

He wasnt going to reclass he was going to prep school, however I think with and if kofi does not come back we will be more likely to sell him on the reclass.
Being able to come in and contribute right away is a big deal for some of these kids.
We will see
New Hampshire looks to be in good shape. But the prep school played a national schedule. That would screw up playing against better completion if not traveling/need to quarantine 14 days afterwards. Might only play against New England schools? Season delayed? A lot still in flux.

So has there been confirmation from the league how many invites have been sent? I’ve seen conflicting reports.

I think that makes the world of difference. If the NBA sent out 105 invites then the NCAA must make an exception in their rules.

The NCAA deadline is totally arbitrary. Allow the kids to remain in the draft, register for classes, begin attending school/practicing, and if the player ends up being drafted in October then wish them well in their success.

Word broke last week that the NBA had sent a memo to teams informing them of the 105 prospects who received the most votes to be invited to a combine, if one takes place. Adam Zagoria of ZagsBlog.com has a list of those 105 players right here. The expectation is that about 60 or 70 of those players would ultimately attend a combine, either virtually or in-person.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/07...draft combine was,combine, if one takes place.

This still doesn't tell us if all 105 kids got notified. I don't think anybody knows.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Go back & read the posts from that time period. Everyone on here thought Leron was the greatest and had a bright future at a high level in Europe. If you saw him at the TBT he wasnt very good at all. I dont see any way Kofi will get drafted in the first two rounds with the trend in the NBA to have bigs shoot the 3 and be mobile away from the basket. I wish him the best too but think this is a huge mistake for him if he doesnt come back.

I can’t disagree with anything you’ve said, but could it be possible that Kofi is a grest big to have in your “tool kit?” A nice change of style and power to throw at another team in specific situations or with favorable match-ups?

Which doesn’t mean I believe he will be drafted, just that there may be a chance. I still think, as do most of you, that he needs one more year.

The NCAA needs to get rid of this deadline. August 3rd is an arbitrary date in the grand scheme of things and deadlines should be set by the coaches on whether they want to keep a scholarship open (hint: Underwood would for both guys). Players would be required to be enrolled and attend classes, but otherwise should have the freedom to stay or go.

Dan

Admin
Back in the day Adam Zagoria was quite sloppy with his work, but this, this the worst. Taking that initial list of "options to be invited", "potential participants", and just making things up tweeting out NBA Combine invites. The worst.

Deleted member 380722

D
The NCAA needs to get rid of this deadline. August 3rd is an arbitrary date in the grand scheme of things and deadlines should be set by the coaches on whether they want to keep a scholarship open (hint: Underwood would for both guys). Players would be required to be enrolled and attend classes, but otherwise should have the freedom to stay or go.
How would that help any program?

Back in the day Adam Zagoria was quite sloppy with his work, but this, this the worst. Taking that initial list of "options to be invited", "potential participants", and just making things up tweeting out NBA Combine invites. The worst.

To be fair, his initial post referenced Kofi's old highschool coach as a source. Lets not jump to conclusions. For all we know, he reported what he was told.

Dan

Admin
To be fair, his initial post referenced Kofi's old highschool coach as a source. Lets not jump to conclusions. For all we know, he reported what he was told.
The original Monday tweet (still not deleted at this time) referenced "per source".

It's not proper to be a big established twitter 50k+ account and start tweeting out false NBA Draft Combine invites.

It's not proper to be a big established sports person and not understand what that initial potential nba combine article was all about.

Attachments

• asfdsadasfsdf.jpg
    asfdsadasfsdf.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I sure hope the staff has been given better info than the fans and media. What a cluster....

I'm not sure it matters much. Even as murky as all the stay or go issues are, I think the NCAA has an even bigger challenge in figuring out how to facilitate a season at all. You can't keep athletes in a "bubble" and expect them to attend classes. Maintaining the illusion of amateurism and the "student-athlete/student first" concept won't be easy under the current conditions. Something is going to have to be sacrificed. Either the level of instruction and expectations on the student, or their level of involvement in athletics will have to be significantly altered.

If there is basketball this season, it sure isn't likely to be pretty.

illinihawk16

Chicago
So now does this mean Ayo is among the "narrowed" list of potential participants who will actually be attending the combine and not one of the 100+ nominated players? This is confusing

Agreed on the confusion. My current understanding is that Ayo is on the short list and Kofi is not, but it's possible that the Ayo reports were for the 100+ rather than the short list...idk man.

So now does this mean Ayo is among the "narrowed" list of potential participants who will actually be attending the combine and not one of the 100+ nominated players? This is confusing
Ayo did receive an invite. He may even be sneaking into the range to be drafted. Whether or not anyone will "actually be attending the combine" remains to be seen. I hope, for the young men who are staying, that there will be. I think both Illini prospects would benefit greatly from in person workouts. I felt like both guys were developing extremely rapidly last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.