Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish him the best and I’m sure he will make the right decision for him.

Lots of pressure on those people and no matter what they decide they will be roundly criticized by some.
Not sure there is a right decision with all the uncertainty. NBA season in jeopardy, will G league happen, NCAA season, if no college season = no chance to improve draft stock, then NBA draft next year is based on this year anyway?...this could easily turn into a no-win situation.

The kids shouldn’t be criticized for any decision regarding this mess, but you’re right someone will.

I have a senior in high school & a senior at Wilmington this year...just a strange time for everyone, especially a kid like Ayo making a significant life decision.

Not sure there is a right decision with all the uncertainty. NBA season in jeopardy, will G league happen, NCAA season, if no college season = no chance to improve draft stock, then NBA draft next year is based on this year anyway?...this could easily turn into a no-win situation.

The kids shouldn’t be criticized for any decision regarding this mess, but you’re right someone will.

I have a senior in high school & a senior at Wilmington this year...just a strange time for everyone, especially a kid like Ayo making a significant life decision.

if there is no season for the nba, would draft picks still be paid? If so, I think you have to go. You don’t run the risk of getting cut so your contract if there is no season is essentially guaranteed and you have all your time to work on getting better.

ILFaninFL

Nature Coast in Florida
if there is no season for the nba, would draft picks still be paid? If so, I think you have to go. You don’t run the risk of getting cut so your contract if there is no season is essentially guaranteed and you have all your time to work on getting better.
The NBA is a business. I would be surprised if they didn't mitigate their exposure by either tying compensation to the number of games the team played or slow played signing. What would be the point if they can't even get them in to practice yet?

I have no doubt that Ayo's agent would push back, but good luck. They are already bleeding money and I doubt they want to make it worse.

I'm not an expert on this (any lawyers want to go through the CBA for us?!?), but I know that players are technically paid per game already. That's why if a player gets suspended they lose that game's pay (99% sure), since they're not missing it due to injury, personal reasons, etc. This is also why player's taxes are a nightmare, since they technically earn each game's income in the state that they're playing (so players on the Houston Rockets get half-ish of their paychecks with no state income tax, some with CA state income tax, etc.). All this is to say, I'm guessing there is already language in the CBA that prevents owners from having to pay players for games that are cancelled due to [insert disaster], so I would think players don't have any guarantees, even if they already have a contract.

Are you an attorney or do you just play one on TV? JK

I’m unfamiliar with the specifics in NBA contracts, but keep in mind not all money is necessarily earned on gameday. There can be signing bonuses, roster bonuses, etc that pay out incrementally. Force Majeure likely wouldn’t apply to those payments because the money has already been earned.

In a normal year there may not be a difference to the players between guaranteed future earnings, and an amortized bonus. This year is obviously not a normal year though.

What if he is just going home for a month before he comes back for the start of school? Does the team have to stay on campus for workouts in July?

My new projected starting lineup is Curbelo, Frazier, Miller, Monte, Giorgi

Is the rest of the team on campus? Less Ayo, of course.

On Kofi.. the IllWBB ig says official summer workouts start in 5 days. So would the men be following. Therefore maybe he is just visiting home before official workouts start.

Is the rest of the team on campus? Less Ayo, of course.

Would love to have Kofi back obviously. Most concerned about rebounding/low post defense. However, I could imagine a lineup of this below which offensively could be really, really good. Again, D will be an issue. However, it gives a chance for Hawkins/Verdonk to possibly get playing time too.

Lineup/backup

Curbelo (27 mpg)(turn the keys over to elite, playmaking, distributing point guard)/backup of Frazier/Hutch - 13 mpg left
Frazier (27 mpg)/Hutch/Miller/Monte (13 mpg left)
Miller (25 mpg)/Hutch/Monte/Grandison - 15 mpg left
Grandison (25 mpg)/Monte/Hawkins/Verdonk - 15 mpg left - I think a little of Monte and around 10ish for Hawkins
Giorgi (27 based on backups)/Verdonk/Hamlin/ - 13 mpg - Verdonk for 9 minutes and Hamlin for a few for rebounding/defense.

Basically after starting lineup and minus Center lineup, I count 56 minutes for mainly Monte', Hutch' and some Hawkins as backup minutes sprinkle a little Verdonk at the 4. I think Hutch/Monte will get around 20 mpg each and that leaves about 15-16 mpg for Hawkins and a little more for Verdonk.

I really like our spacing and shooting (ironic change) for offense this year. However, rebounding and post d is going to be a big issue. Shot blocking will be limited unless Hamlin has picked up game more and/or developed a little more offensively. I think Verdonk could play some 5 at least bulk wise. I saw he lost weight and is supposed to be more mobile. If he is less robotic, then I think we may have a surprise and he could help immensely and play a lot at the 4 to help with rebounding. Monte is a heck of a rebounder and for that reason will play a lot of minutes to help with rebounding at the 3 and 4. I think his shooting will be more consistent at he was at end of year and his senior year (last hurrah). We will also be losing Dre's rebounding to help with small ball outside of Kofi lineups.

Probably will not make the tourney, but could be a threat too if our offense is so good (shooting, spacing, high iq players).

Otherwise, if we lose both Kofi/Ayo, in 2021, we should be really good by developing Curbelo, Miller, Grandison, Hutch and maybe someone like Verdonk, a senior Giorgi and depends on recrutis coming in. Hope Jones commits to provide size and hopefully Mac Etienne joins too....

Would love to have Kofi back obviously. Most concerned about rebounding/low post defense. However, I could imagine a lineup of this below which offensively could be really, really good. Again, D will be an issue. However, it gives a chance for Hawkins/Verdonk to possibly get playing time too.

Lineup/backup

Curbelo (27 mpg)(turn the keys over to elite, playmaking, distributing point guard)/backup of Frazier/Hutch - 13 mpg left
Frazier (27 mpg)/Hutch/Miller/Monte (13 mpg left)
Miller (25 mpg)/Hutch/Monte/Grandison - 15 mpg left
Grandison (25 mpg)/Monte/Hawkins/Verdonk - 15 mpg left - I think a little of Monte and around 10ish for Hawkins
Giorgi (27 based on backups)/Verdonk/Hamlin/ - 13 mpg - Verdonk for 9 minutes and Hamlin for a few for rebounding/defense.

Basically after starting lineup and minus Center lineup, I count 56 minutes for mainly Monte', Hutch' and some Hawkins as backup minutes sprinkle a little Verdonk at the 4. I think Hutch/Monte will get around 20 mpg each and that leaves about 15-16 mpg for Hawkins and a little more for Verdonk.

I really like our spacing and shooting (ironic change) for offense this year. However, rebounding and post d is going to be a big issue. Shot blocking will be limited unless Hamlin has picked up game more and/or developed a little more offensively. I think Verdonk could play some 5 at least bulk wise. I saw he lost weight and is supposed to be more mobile. If he is less robotic, then I think we may have a surprise and he could help immensely and play a lot at the 4 to help with rebounding. Monte is a heck of a rebounder and for that reason will play a lot of minutes to help with rebounding at the 3 and 4. I think his shooting will be more consistent at he was at end of year and his senior year (last hurrah). We will also be losing Dre's rebounding to help with small ball outside of Kofi lineups.

Probably will not make the tourney, but could be a threat too if our offense is so good (shooting, spacing, high iq players).

Otherwise, if we lose both Kofi/Ayo, in 2021, we should be really good by developing Curbelo, Miller, Grandison, Hutch and maybe someone like Verdonk, a senior Giorgi and depends on recrutis coming in. Hope Jones commits to provide size and hopefully Mac Etienne joins too....
If Kofi leaves, Giorgi needs more help defensively and on the boards than Grandison and DaMonte can give him with their size. Going to need Verdonk, Jermaine or Coleman to step up big time.

If Kofi leaves, Giorgi needs more help defensively and on the boards than Grandison and DaMonte can give him with their size. Going to need Verdonk, Jermaine or Coleman to step up big time.

BBV has to be good

I agree, but I don't think Jermaine is going to be ready enough and Giorgi is much of a 4. There may be times to play both DaMonte and Grandison at same time if going small ball. Hawkins may need to contribute a little more quickly. I think Verdonk has a chance, but the fluidity is my concern. However, if he can step up, that could alleviate a lot of concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.