Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
We got two years out of Ayo. As much as I had hoped. He had a great year. Never got March, but good for him.
Not ready for Kofi to be gone. We are not a team that can absorb a loss like him yet.

Many here keep talking about how great this will be for the program. I am not there. Once we start loosing players to the NBA and still can compete at the top of the Big Ten, alright. But we are not there yet. We are still a program where one player can make or break a team. So no, I am not exited for Kofi yet.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we are "there" yet. But in order to get there, you have to be able to show that your program has put people in the league. Personally, I don't want to be a one-and-done program (would prefer the 2 to 3 year guys), but being the sort that regularly puts people in the league after any number of years is how you get more players with those ambitions and the skills to back it up. You have to start somewhere, and we were never going to realistically start back-filling that kind of talent without first showing some success (though you could probably argue that we have some pretty good back fill for Ayo with Miller and Curbelo).

As big of a deal as Ayo is, I personally think a Kofi departure will have the bigger negative impact on our 20/21 prospects. Miller and Curbelo can probably make up for a lot of (but obviously not likely all) of what we lose in Ayo, but we have no one seemingly ready to step in for Kofi.

sacraig

The desert
Good Luck to them. Both could use another year, Kofi especially, but what do I know. I'll certainly be watching to see how this works out, but I'm guessing that 'the G league trap' which Ramrod discussed above is going to be a real thing.

I think the COVID-19 situation looms very large here. There is a very real possibility that we have no or a truncated NCAA basketball season, meaning that the scales are likely weighted more heavily toward leaving than they might otherwise be. If you could guarantee a full, normal NCAA season coming up, I think there is a case to be made, especially for Kofi, to stay for another year. But what happens if he decides to do that and we end up having no season? Or half of a season? There is a better chance of having a G-League season than an NCAA season, IMO, so even choosing between G-League and a lost NCAA season seems pretty obvious. That's the possibility these guys unfortunately have to consider.

I think the COVID-19 situation looms very large here. There is a very real possibility that we have no or a truncated NCAA basketball season, meaning that the scales are likely weighted more heavily toward leaving than they might otherwise be. If you could guarantee a full, normal NCAA season coming up, I think there is a case to be made, especially for Kofi, to stay for another year. But what happens if he decides to do that and we end up having no season? Or half of a season? There is a better chance of having a G-League season than an NCAA season, IMO, so even choosing between G-League and a lost NCAA season seems pretty obvious. That's the possibility these guys unfortunately have to consider.
Yeah, I think it's time to fix a drink and wait for next Monday to come and go. And once next Monday comes and goes, assume that nothing is really settled, deadline or no.

What a mess.

I find it very hard to believe that less than 70 guys received invites if both Kofi and Garza have gotten invites. NCAA needs to push back the deadline to decide until a combine date is determined or else there will be a lot of guys getting burned when they end up not getting drafted.

I find it very hard to believe that less than 70 guys received invites if both Kofi and Garza have gotten invites. NCAA needs to push back the deadline to decide until a combine date is determined or else there will be a lot of guys getting burned when they end up not getting drafted.
What makes it even more ridiculous is that the players will be allowed to hire agents without losing their eligibility beginning in January.

Seen on the Peoria news that fall sports for several Illinois and Wisconsin colleges have been cancelled.The Miami Marlins also had 13 positive Covid cases.Id be very surprised if there's a basketball season this year.
Hard to fathom a sports season of any sort this year that can’t create some sort of bubble like the NBA or MLS.

Yet European soccer has gone on without a hiccup over the last 2 months....

TMC999

Not Iowa
I don't think anyone has ever used the words decency and NCAA in the same sentence...
I think what you’d see is all the Louisville, UNC, and Kansas players retain their eligibility, and our kids would lose it. It only makes sense...

Losing both Ayo and Kofi gives a new coaching challenge to BU. Finishing in the top half Of BIG with tournament bid will prove difficult.

The NCAA can't really push it back further than another week because kids have to register and start classes anyway if they are going to stay.

giphy.gif

Good for my guys. Go get your bread fam 💪

Does an invite change things? Surely they both believed they were among the top 105 players in the country before the invite? Unfortunately, that's at minimum, 45 guys who won't get drafted.

This is an unprecedented year, but I thought the usual process was to get draft feedback from some committee, and make an informed decision based on that. Going off a combine invite seems a bit reckless with your career. Is the consensus here that an invite means they're staying in the draft? The mock drafts aren't showing them a lot of love.

Whatever they decide, I'll be rooting 100% for them.

Does an invite change things? Surely they both believed they were among the top 105 players in the country before the invite? Unfortunately, that's at minimum, 45 guys who won't get drafted.

This is an unprecedented year, but I thought the usual process was to get draft feedback from some committee, and make an informed decision based on that. Going off a combine invite seems a bit reckless with your career. Is the consensus here that an invite means they're staying in the draft? The mock drafts aren't showing them a lot of love.

Well said as usual, Calvin. I just don't get what Kofi is thinking here. I have yet to see a mock draft listing him as being drafted, but will always root for them both.

It was stated before, but I think it’s worth stating again: With everything going on, I think the thought is, there might not be a college basketball season at all. Why deal with school and practice if you can instead jump pro somewhere now, even if it’s not the NBA and get paid.

Selfishly, I don’t want Kofi to leave specifically because he changes our team in more ways than Ayo. But the best decision for him given the current climate is probably to go pro.

It was stated before, but I think it’s worth stating again: With everything going on, I think the thought is, there might not be a college basketball season at all. Why deal with school and practice if you can instead jump pro somewhere now, even if it’s not the NBA and get paid.

Selfishly, I don’t want Kofi to leave specifically because he changes our team in more ways than Ayo. But the best decision for him given the current climate is probably to go pro.
How's that working out for Leron Black? I know times are different, but the theory is the same. He never should have left when there was work for him to do to get better.

How's that working out for Leron Black? I know times are different, but the theory is the same. He never should have left when there was work for him to do to get better.
He was never going to make an NBA roster anyway. He’s too small to be a 4 and too slow to be a 3. Not to mention, he’s just really not that talented (for an NBA guy). He was getting married and expecting a child, so leaving a year early to get paid worked out pretty well. He’s still playing ball.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
The NCAA can't really push it back further than another week because kids have to register and start classes anyway if they are going to stay.
I know that there have been several cases where kids showed up 2 weeks into the semester and were still eligible. Still, it does not appear that the NBA will be ready by the end of August anyway.

It's not just the times that are different... You are comparing a 6'7" PF who was never a legitimate NBA (or even a high level European) prospect to a 7' 300 lb leviathan, who will almost certainly play in the NBA at some point. College is not the only place you can play and get better. lf you are good enough, they will find you wherever you are.
It's quite possible that there will be no college basketball next year. Under the circumstances, his only chance to play in competitive games sometime in the next 12 months, may be to keep his options open as a pro.
He is such a unique prospect. I still think he has a chance to get drafted.

Good stuff Calvin, also back in April, 42 International players registered for the draft. I don't know how many have opted out, but if all are staying in, that "won't get drafted" number increases to 87. That seems like a terribly high number of kids that could be disappointed plus no option to return to college. G league can take on some but nowhere near that number. Does anybody know what the International options are if kids go undrafted??

If it was mentioned before, I apologize. Is this invite to the showcase for US college players only, or does it consist of internationals as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.