Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time poster here, but long time follower. I would love to have a paid subscription to watch the practices this year!! I think some of the toughest opponents may be at the Uben! Dear Lord Baby Jesus, please let us have games this year, it will be year 4 or 5 for me and season tickets. I'm getting old...

I'm calling it right now that our biggest surprise this year may just be Hawkins...I shall call him "the forgotten one." Every time I watch video, I am more impressed with the options he provides us. Shoot, pass, put it on the floor, stop and pop, height! And it's not like he played cupcakes from Central Illinois either. He played at a highly competitive national level

First time poster here, but long time follower. I would love to have a paid subscription to watch the practices this year!! I think some of the toughest opponents may be at the Uben! Dear Lord Baby Jesus, please let us have games this year, it will be year 4 or 5 for me and season tickets. I'm getting old...

I'm calling it right now that our biggest surprise this year may just be Hawkins...I shall call him "the forgotten one." Every time I watch video, I am more impressed with the options he provides us. Shoot, pass, put it on the floor, stop and pop, height! And it's not like he played cupcakes from Central Illinois either. He played at a highly competitive national level

The problem is where is he going to see playing time. Unless he leaps over Georgi on the depth chart.

That said, if we fail to land a center freshman next year, I do think senior Georgi and junior Hawkins will be just fine at the 5 in 2021. They both might start over a big freshman recruit like MAC anyways.

EDIT: I was thinking Hamlin. I'm an idiot. Personally, I don't think Hawkins is gonna see the floor much this year.

I know it’s way too early, but I was just re-watching both Miller and Hutcherson’s highlights, and am I crazy in thinking Hutch looks better on film? Both are shooters but Hutch is longer with abetter bounce.

Still thrilled Miller chose the Illini but not sure I see a one or even two and done. Hutcherson looks better on film to me.

I know it’s way too early, but I was just re-watching both Miller and Hutcherson’s highlights, and am I crazy in thinking Hutch looks better on film? Both are shooters but Hutch is longer with abetter bounce.

Still thrilled Miller chose the Illini but not sure I see a one or even two and done. Hutcherson looks better on film to me.
I agree! Hutch has a year of learning the system and gelling with the team. It's going to be so much fun and a lot of armchair coaching going on this year

We don't have many 6'11" guys that can some of these things that are in the Soph - Senior classes

Really think predicting minutes this year is a total guess. We have six guys who haven’t played a BIG game with some really good skills. Just hope one emerges at the four. We can’t play DaMonte at the four against teams with the size of WI. One of Giorgi, BBV, Grandison, or Coleman needs to be better than OK. Really believe Kippers game in the last game against Iowa was huge. He played like a four and need that all year.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Really think predicting minutes this year is a total guess. We have six guys who haven’t played a BIG game with some really good skills. Just hope one emerges at the four. We can’t play DaMonte at the four against teams with the size of WI. One of Giorgi, BBV, Grandison, or Coleman needs to be better than OK. Really believe Kippers game in the last game against Iowa was huge. He played like a four and need that all year.

Agreed, the rotation at that position..going bigger or smaller..will be the most interesting piece of the puzzle for BU & Co. I believe we have the depth to really maximize match ups and dictate both ends of the floor. Really hope to see freshman Giorgi this year.

Obviously Adam Miller wants to be part of a highly successful team, but is this maybe his uneasiness of choosing the Illini? No clear path to starting or stardom as a frosh?

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Obviously Adam Miller wants to be part of a highly successful team, but is this maybe his uneasiness of choosing the Illini? No clear path to starting or stardom as a frosh?

BU has the depth to push the tempo even higher. Miller is going to get plenty of minutes.

illini80

Forgottonia
Idk. I still see Miller as a starter before the end of the season unless he doesn’t get the defense. He is too good of a shooter to be on the bench. Either way he will get his minutes.

Idk. I still see Miller as a starter before the end of the season unless he doesn’t get the defense. He is too good of a shooter to be on the bench. Either way he will get his minutes.

I definitely can see this. What I cannot see is Ayo, Trent, Miller, Curbelo, Hutch, DMW, and Grandison all starting. And I am sure I have read on here how much of a stud each one will be at one point or another.

Good problem to have.

I definitely can see this. What I cannot see is Ayo, Trent, Miller, Curbelo, Hutch, DMW, and Grandison all starting. And I am sure I have read on here how much of a stud each one will be at one point or another.

Good problem to have.
LOL....good observation rtbritt. At least you understand some of what I have said all along. Underwood has been drooling to get an "old" team. Now that he has one, he is not about to give the big minutes to anyone who has not proven to earn those minutes by great skill and effort....on both ends. That will take some time for all the newcomers. That is what makes this a team and personally, I don't care who gets to start. Historically, fans want to see the new guys who are... in general... over-hyped. But there is no better proving ground in the B1G for coaches to learn the facts about their team than the 14 buildings where B1G hoops are played. All of the newcomers will have to earn any starting assignments on the floor on game day...as it should be...and will never earn those assignments on message boards or chat rooms. I don't care if Miller, Curbelo, and Hawkins hit 90% of their shots in practice, they are not starting game 1. That does not mean they won't start game 31, but ya gotta show the coach, not the fans.

Pretty impressive hops for a 6’ player. Thinking we were downsizing from Dre at 6’2” but maybe not noticeable. Now if his quickness makes him a better defensive player than Dre, WOW.

Soulberries

University of Illinois
Pretty impressive hops for a 6’ player. Thinking we were downsizing from Dre at 6’2” but maybe not noticeable. Now if his quickness makes him a better defensive player than Dre, WOW.
Love that Ayo and Kofi are back. Looking forward to see what Jacob and Hutch can bring. But the thought of seeing this guy on the court with our team really excites me. And this tweet doesn’t even showcase what he does best.

For me the surprise much like Kendall Gill was in his class is going to be Hutch in my opinion. Being athletic and shooting over 40% from three over two seasons and 89% from the line. How can he not get time?Especailly at the end of games and a lead. Will be nice having someone that shoots that well at the line to close out games.

Last edited:
For me the surprise much like Kendall Gill was in his class is going to be Hutch in my opinion. Being athletic and shooting over 40% from three over two seasons and 89% from the line. How can he not get time?Especailly at the end of games and a lead. Will be nice having someone that shoots that well at the line to close out games.
Isn't it a nice change going from wondering if we can field a solid player at each position to wondering whether there are enough minutes for all the talent on this team because there is so much depth? This should really allow us to push the pace. All of the returning players could have a bump in play this year, we have transfers that sat out last year that the coaches rave about and an extremely talented freshman class. Dear God, please let this season happen!

One option is a tall shooting team with Ayo, Hutch, Grandy, Cole, and Kofi. Can shoot and not a slow team. Not forecasting just noting options. Speed team with Belo, Trent, Adam, Ayo, and Giorgi. Don’t know who is on all defensive team beyond Kofi, Trent, DaMonte, Ayo and ? Suspect that will be the starters. We will have all sorts of opportunities to question/criticize the lineups, substitutions, etc.

One option is a tall shooting team with Ayo, Hutch, Grandy, Cole, and Kofi. Can shoot and not a slow team. Not forecasting just noting options. Speed team with Belo, Trent, Adam, Ayo, and Giorgi. Don’t know who is on all defensive team beyond Kofi, Trent, DaMonte, Ayo and ? Suspect that will be the starters. We will have all sorts of opportunities to question/criticize the lineups, substitutions, etc.
Last year, the primary three point shooters were Trent, Ayo, and Feliz....and we all wanted Kipper and Damonte but got a mixed bag. Not only are Miller, Curbelo, Hutch, Grandison, BVV, Hawkins, and Lieb all likely better or at least equal, but bring considerable more height and a completely untested lineup to the equation. Add in what we hope is an improved jump shooting threat from Kofi, if it is in fact a real thing, and we just do not have any idea what we will see from this team....or if we will see anything for that matter. But there are certainly tens of thousands of Illini hoop fans praying to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.