Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

altgeld88

Arlington, Virginia
Yeah "it happens," but it seems like it never happens for us, only against us. Everybody else can occasionally catch lightning in a bottle. We have to be the best team in the country to get to the final four. In some odd way, this seems like the year when ability and destiny will finally align for the Illini.

Have said that, to answer a question above, my definition of success is winning the big 10. I'd like to say also to restore the home court advantage that we have had, but we need a crowd for that, and that might be too much to ask.
I agree with you: winning the BT. That's really difficult, and a huge success.

"It happens" to others, too. In fact, it happens to most every program. Look at poor Purdue. I have a friend from OSU who still tortures himself over the '92 regional final they lost to Michigan and all the early round games in other years that they should have won in his opinion. My buddy who played in the ACC? He can rattle off 15-20 seasons since he graduated when his team flamed out and "shoulda gone farther." That's why he said that when they finally won the NC it took all the stars aligning.

We've got a solid coach who is recruiting well. Whether we win an NC is really a crap shoot IMO. I just want to be excited for us in March, and in the mix.

I'm diggin the exuberance on the board. It's warranted. So I'm drinking the orange Kool-Aid and allowing myself delusions of grandeur I haven't had for 15 years.

So this is a serious question, where's the "break point" between satisfaction and disappointment for everybody? Obviously the most realistic heartbreak is NO SEASON. Followed closely by the nut punch we had in March... no tourney. Assuming we have a season and march madness, we gotta be a lock assuming - Ayo and Kofi don't both go down for the season in an exhibition game. So where's the break point for everybody?

first round loss
second round loss
sweet sixteen
elite eight
final four
title game loss

I think I would be satisfied with a sweet 16 and a hard fought loss to a title contender. Say we're a four seed - entirely possible. If we lose to a one seed in the sweet 16 would you say you're disappointed in the season?

I was gonna be happy with round of 32 last year and thought with the right matchup the high bar was sweet 16.

This year I think elite 8 is the line for me.

Flight#33

Flight#33
Alan Griffin must have a crystal ball of his own. He made a great decision, i loved watching him last year, but the minutes will be hard to come by on this roster. Good Luck AG .
I they all get to play this season

I love DMFW as much as most of us,
I won’t say all because some of you are off the charts in that regard, and I know BU loves him too.

He needs to be able to hit an unguarded three with regularity; otherwise, I could see his role diminish. Too many weapons on this team now with all the additions.

He showed us he’s capable at the end of last season! Or, the pace needs to pick up when he’s in and attack before defense is set.

He just needs to do enough on offense to keep defense honest.

Alan Griffin must have a crystal ball of his own. He made a great decision, i loved watching him last year, but the minutes will be hard to come by on this roster. Good Luck AG .
I they all get to play this season
I wonder if he’s ever discussed his decision in an interview. Just curious.

He was one of my favorite players last year. Imagine the lineup with him instead of Lieb (who could’ve still committed as part of 2021 class).

Trent (Sr)
Ayo (Jr)
Griffin (Jr)
Williams (Sr)
Kofi (So)

Curbello (Fr)
Miller (Fr)
Hutcherson (rSo)
Hawkins (Fr)
Giorgi (Jr)

BBV (So)
Grandison (rSo)
Hamlin (So)

Mix and match to your liking, but the 2nd squad is probably better than any Groce starting lineup.

Point being is this team is loaded but would’ve been even better with Griffin, imo.

I'm diggin the exuberance on the board. It's warranted. So I'm drinking the orange Kool-Aid and allowing myself delusions of grandeur I haven't had for 15 years.

So this is a serious question, where's the "break point" between satisfaction and disappointment for everybody? Obviously the most realistic heartbreak is NO SEASON. Followed closely by the nut punch we had in March... no tourney. Assuming we have a season and march madness, we gotta be a lock assuming - Ayo and Kofi don't both go down for the season in an exhibition game. So where's the break point for everybody?

first round loss
second round loss
sweet sixteen
elite eight
final four
title game loss

I think I would be satisfied with a sweet 16 and a hard fought loss to a title contender. Say we're a four seed - entirely possible. If we lose to a one seed in the sweet 16 would you say you're disappointed in the season?
*Assuming there is a season*

I’d like to finish top 2 in regular season conference (Unless it’s Iowa at #1)
Make the BTT championship game, win or lose
And make the sweet 16 in the big dance

Anything remotely along those lines would be good enough for me, even if we have the ability to achieve more than that.

I love DMFW as much as most of us,
I won’t say all because some of you are off the charts in that regard, and I know BU loves him too.

He needs to be able to hit an unguarded three with regularity; otherwise, I could see his role diminish. Too many weapons on this team now with all the additions.

He showed us he’s capable at the end of last season! Or, the pace needs to pick up when he’s in and attack before defense is set.

He just needs to do enough on offense to keep defense honest.

Having so many more weapons makes it easier to keep DMW in his role. His offensive struggles stuck out more at the beginning of last year because no one else could shoot.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
DMFW and Trent are elite B1G defenders. Elite. They will set the tone on that end...and everyone else will have to match their defensive intensity.

A four guard lineup will see Curbelo and Miller in and out of the starting lineups depending on how they progress, as well as match ups. Same with Giorgi and Grandison if the match up calls for more size.

No doubt BU is licking his chops at the lineup possibilities! Now we have to hope for them to gel and play together.....which may just be a given because it's now a team full of winners.

Alan Griffin saw the writing on the wall the same as Mark Smith did. His offensive output was against some weak foes, his defense and blocking out technique needed a lot of help. Two redshirt players and Miller were ready to take his lunch money so to speak.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Alan Griffin saw the writing on the wall the same as Mark Smith did. His offensive output was against some weak foes, his defense and blocking out technique needed a lot of help. Two redshirt players and Miller were ready to take his lunch money so to speak.

From BU's comments on practice from last year....maybe Hutch and Grandy were taking it every day!

Frank Williams said to Joey Range when they played Galesburg in HS about him and that Thompson kid who both went to Iowa, "I'm glad y'all are going to Iowa cause y'all don't play no defense." Iowa continues to play weak defense to this day. Whereas Da'Monte, Trent, Ayo and Kofi are all plus if not elite defenders. I like our chances a lot.

Last season, Feliz was the "glue" guy...nothing profound there. But who will be that guy who can get the tough hoops when everyone is looking at the other guy cause no one can get it into the net? Who will be the glue guy who can grab the ball when 6 others are leaping/scrapping/digging for it? Who will get a steal when down 3 in the final minute? Who the heck will be the "GLUE" GUY? If we had Feliz, we would all know. But we don't. Gotta be a "glue" guy to win it all and that roster spot, and his minutes, is vacant. We all hope someone claims it.

Ayo on the scoring part, Miller too. Da'Monte on the leaping/scrapping/digging part.

Heard an interview with Curbelo where he stated a goal of FOY in BIG. Certain that Miller would have a similar goal and you have two transfers eligible that were stars at their previous schools. Then they are competing with five guys who all started games on a very successful team last year. Surely the reason Griffin left was his desire to be the guy and it wasn’t going to happen. Not trying to say this is a problem, just saying it requires some footwork on the coaches part. Last year was a great example of coaching vs talent in that the same talent that lost to Miami, Mizzu, and Arizona were a completely different team against Iowa. Remember also a interview with Deron where at the end of the 2004 season the Team realized that they could really be special and they were. My point is the chemistry is not automatic with talent but must also be developed and the greater the talent the more difficult it is. Think this is where BU’s emphasis on character comes into play.

Underwood's leadership and Ayo's leadership will carry the day. I'm confident this team will be a tight knit unit.

I am not a big fan of either MS or AG because they are no longer Illini. I am also not a fan of making up reasons why they left. I don't think we know the whole story, but I am quite confident that neither was afraid of the competition.

I mentioned this in the main 20-21 thread, but it's relevant here. Look at Kansas last year. Toward the end of the year they weren't starting more than one guy over 6'5, and that's the consensus #1 overall team. Conclusion: in today's game you don't need a traditional PF if you have a dominant big like Azubuike or Kofi. Also, this team is built like a championship roster.

I'm totally with you on this -- we'll be really good with any of D Will, Grandison (assuming hype = reality), or even Giorgi at the four. My point is that if either of those two live up to the hype as big guys that can shoot it well from deep, that gives us a whole new dimension on both offense or defense. It gives us more flexibility to dictate matchups or respond to matchup issues from opposing teams. That said, Grandison appears to fill this role too, based on what we've heard so far.

Again, I still can't believe we're in a position where these are the nits we're picking. Somebody pinch me, I'm not sure this is real.

Status
Not open for further replies.