Austin Hutcherson
Jermaine Hamlin
Brandon Lieb
Kofi Cockburn

Last edited:
Welcome to the Illini Basketball & College Basketball 2020-2021 thread

2020 Emerald Coach Classic
Illinois vs Florida (Fri., Nov. 27th)
Illinois vs Iowa State or Oregon (Sun., Nov. 29th)

Arizona at Illinois (Sat., Dec. 12th)

Roster
Ayo Dosunmu
Trent Frazier
Andre Curbelo
Adam Miller
Jacob Grandison
Coleman Hawkins
Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk
Giorgi Bezhanishvili
Da'Monte Williams
Austin Hutcherson
Jermaine Hamlin
Brandon Lieb
Kofi Cockburn

The bookends on that roster really make this something special. Ready to see history get made!

Roster
Ayo Dosunmu
Trent Frazier
Andre Curbelo
Adam Miller
Jacob Grandison
Coleman Hawkins
Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk
Giorgi Bezhanishvili
Da'Monte Williams
Austin Hutcherson
Jermaine Hamlin
Brandon Lieb
Kofi Cockburn
The pre-season scrimmages will be something....

OK now the roster can be updated and also the schedule (tentative at best). With this roster they can schedule two games a nite.

Ayo Dosunmu - all BIG freshman team
Trent Frazier - all BIG freshman team
Andre Curbelo
Adam Miller - future all BIG freshman team
Jacob Grandison
Coleman Hawkins
Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk
Giorgi Bezhanishvili - Freshman scoring record holder
Da'Monte Williams - potential all BIG defensive POY 2021
Austin Hutcherson
Jermaine Hamlin
Brandon Lieb
Kofi Cockburn - Freshman POY

Too bad we didn’t hire that ace recruiter coach who went to Mizzu.

Not long ago we were wishing for a good point guard. Now we have four. This will for sure give Leon an opportunity to red shirt. Imagine what practice will be like. Welcome back to Ayo and King Kofi.

Illinois is currently +4500 on Bovada to win the national title. Couldn’t find big ten title odds.

Illini_1979

Oregon

Roster
Ayo Dosunmu
Trent Frazier
Andre Curbelo
Adam Miller
Jacob Grandison
Coleman Hawkins
Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk
Giorgi Bezhanishvili
Da'Monte Williams
Austin Hutcherson
Jermaine Hamlin
Brandon Lieb
Kofi Cockburn
Hey Dan, don't mean to be picky but it's the Emerald Coast Classic...

Reactions: Dan
What if you bet on a team to win and the NCAA tournament gets canceled again? Do you get your money back?

Can you bet on whether the NCAA tournament takes place?
For those not as familiar with betting odds that’s $100 bet wins $4500

What an amazing gift these young men have given us. We lost march madness just as we seemed to be emerging as a team to be reckoned with, we’ve lost so much of our summer sports, and football is going to be much different, if it plays at all, and yet we have some hope.

My hope is that basketball will be more likely to occur than football. Basketball is a smaller group, both in terms of players and staff. As enjoyable as the TBT was, I think it also served a useful purpose in that it demonstrated how basketball can be done. I think basketball, in some form or fashion, will occur. I’m not so sure about football, and not so sure about crowds at basketball, but I think we will see something enjoyable, at least on TV.

This team is going to be special. I think this team compares favorably with the other great teams I recall (’84, ’89, ‘01 and ’05). In particular, this team looks extremely deep. Unlike some of our other recent great teams, it looks to me like this team will not be purely “positionless,” and yet there is enough overlap that BU will have many matchup options, and conversely be able to create matchup issues for the other team. I’m sure he really looks forward to this season.

One of the things I love about BU is that he will change up his scheme to fit his personnel, as we saw with last year’s defense. I look for him to do this masterfully this coming year. We need to go up-tempo. Not only does this play to our strength with depth, allowing our guys to be in better shape at the end of the game, but also creates more possessions to share, and that will help in team chemistry. Ayo and Kofi need to see the ball with the choice they have made, and yet there are others that deserve it. (This is why Demonte is going to see so valuable when he is on the floor, and I get the idea maybe Curbelo as well)

It is easier for positionless teams to go up tempo, but I think our guys will be able to do this with well defined positions. Kofi and Georgi both run the floor well for big guys (and maybe Hamlin as well). I would split them at the 5, and the same with Trent and Curbelo at the 1, and it might be good to let Ayo see some time at the 1 for the next level. Then BU has tons of levers to pull at the 2-4. Hopefully with all the options we can play a tough full court pressure D and still have fresh legs on the floor at the end of the game.

I think Kofi will compare well with any big on these teams. In terms of an assassin, Ayo compares well, with obviously a lot of greats in this category on these teams. I think Damonte will be a great glue guy (e.g. the Rev and Bardo). What this team will need is other credible scoring options to appear that takes the pressure off of Ayo and Kofi, and Trent is at the top of the list there but you have to wonder how good Miller can be in his freshman year, and also the two guys that have sat out last year.

What if you bet on a team to win and the NCAA tournament gets canceled again? Do you get your money back?

Can you bet on whether the NCAA tournament takes place?
That is a good question. I would certainly be upset if I bet, the tourney doesn’t happen, and it’s counted as a loss. But typically, those are counted as “no action” and money is returned to everyone.

Those early 2000s Bill Self Illinois teams were really deep. When Brian Cook was a frosh timeframe.

Those were some deep rosters. But that’s much harder to do in this day and age where players jump ship as soon as they are not happy with their minutes. We have a great blend of talented starters and young players with the ability to Develop into something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.