Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to ascertain how much our orange lens are affecting our judgement of the talent on this team I took the starters from 1988-89 and 2004-05 and made a lineup. Result was Dee, Deron, Ayo, Nick, and Kofi. No one else made the second team. I am sure others will have different opinions and our frosh might be considered very differently by time they leave. Hopefully the rest will be considered differently by the end of the season. (Did think Nick Anderson would be great as the 4th guard.)
I would absolutely put Kendall Gill or Kenny Battle in that lineup over Dee.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I totally agree on Kofi. If he plays with confidence and aggression on offense, he could very well become the most dominant center in the country.

I’m cherry-picking this portion of your post, but in a good way...I hope. Pure speculation/conjecture, but Kofi must see the same thing you are suggesting. It’s not like all the talk about his improvement after only a few years of organized play; his upside and learning curve; not to mention being FOTY in the best conference in the country, is news to him. I truly believe he is going to come back with the sole purpose of dominating. The great thing is, he has the ability and we have the staff to ensure that happens...not to mention Ayo and a very good to great roster of teammates.

Ayo is a great player and will make a difference but it is Kofi that will give us a consistently tough defense. No amount of skill replaces 7’ and 290#’s of athletic power.

billybaroo

Pebble Beach, CA
I would absolutely put Kendall Gill or Kenny Battle in that lineup over Dee.
I loved Dee, but have to agree, especially when you consider Dee was a shooting guard (mostly). At the very least, I'd put Kendall in over Ayo. He wasn't the closer that Ayo is, but was a more complete basketball player when he left the program. Kendall was a top 5 draft pick for a reason. :)

I loved Dee, but have to agree, especially when you consider Dee was a shooting guard (mostly). At the very least, I'd put Kendall in over Ayo. He wasn't the closer that Ayo is, but was a more complete basketball player when he left the program. Kendall was a top 5 draft pick for a reason. :)
Kendall was a consensus second team All-American and the #5 pick in the 1990 NBA draft, whereas Ayo currently is a fringe 2nd rounder. Let's see where Ayo is in a year; right now he is quite a ways away from what Kendall achieved at Illinois.

altenberger22

South Carolina
A very interesting exercise and I agree it's totally subjective. Ayo could potentially crack the starting line-up with a superior junior season. However, I'm going with a starting 5 of:
G - Dee Brown
G - Deron Williams
G - Kendall Gill
F - Nick Anderson
C - Kofi Cockburn

We'd win 6 national titles out of every 10 played with this team. Nearly unstoppable!

billybaroo

Pebble Beach, CA
Also, no mention of Brian Cook for these all time rosters? I think he deserves to be in the conversation.
Nothing against Cookie, but I think the OP was pulling strictly from the 89, 05, and current rosters only.

What is everyone expectations now as far as loss total? 3-5? 5-7? Given how tough the conference will be, and that we will have a handful of tough non conference games, I’m thinking 7 or 8 losses going into the BTT. 2 non conference L’s and 5-6 conference L’s. Which could be drinking kool aid

A very interesting exercise and I agree it's totally subjective. Ayo could potentially crack the starting line-up with a superior junior season. However, I'm going with a starting 5 of:
G - Dee Brown
G - Deron Williams
G - Kendall Gill
F - Nick Anderson
C - Kofi Cockburn

We'd win 6 national titles out of every 10 played with this team. Nearly unstoppable!

I love Dee, but with Deron to run the point I think it has to be:

1) Deron
2) Kendal
3) Nick
4) Kenny (no way he does not start)
5) Kofi

Then give me these three off the bench:

6) Kenny Norman
7) Eddie Johnson
8) DerIck Harper

that gives you 2 points (Deron and Derick)
2 shooting guards (Kendal and Nick)
2 small forwards (Eddie and Kenny)
2 power forwards (Kenny and Kenny)
2 Centers (Kofi and Norman)

Side note, I would of loved to have Lucas Johnson on the 2005 team. He would have gotten under the skin of May and made him lose his mind.

I know it is never “right” to say this but Sean Pruitt was on the 2005 team. When Augustine got his second foul, I would have put Pruitt In with one goal. Break Mays arm, I mean really hard foul. Sean was not going to play anyways so why not make the refs pucker up. If Sean got ejected so what?

The dome would have been wild and the refs would have changed at that moment what May was allowed to get away with. There were 45,000 crazy Illinois fans. I know it is wrong to think that way, but we needed the one sided interior officiating to change and that would have done it.

Side note, I would of loved to have Lucas Johnson on the 2005 team. He would have gotten under the skin of May and made him lose his mind.

I know it is never “right” to say this but Sean Pruitt was on the 2005 team. When Augustine got his second foul, I would have put Pruitt In with one goal. Break Mays arm, I mean really hard foul. Sean was not going to play anyways so why not make the refs pucker up. If Sean got ejected so what?

The dome would have been wild and the refs would have changed at that moment what May was allowed to get away with. There were 45,000 crazy Illinois fans. I know it is wrong to think that way, but we needed the one sided interior officiating to change and that would have done it.
Great idea about Pruitt on May.

And Lucas was always a hefty thorn in the side of our opponents, and was always a motivator for our guys. Really fun to watch.
Does he have kids who play? Grandkids?!

sacraig

The desert
UNDEFEATED.

giphy.gif

Kofi...I truly believe he is going to come back with the sole purpose of dominating.

This may sound a bit strange, but I think the way for Kofi to dominate is to do less individually. Sure, he could work on his post play and positioning, but I think the way he dominates is to use his head more, draw players to him, see weaknesses in the opponent's D, and pass. I'd love if he got a touch nearly every time we're in the half-court.

I can't tell you how many times I watched him last season and thought how much deadlier he'd be if he could recognize when he's attracting too much attention and found a cutter or open man. Not trying to second guess his development in any way --he's been VERY efficient, tough around the bakset, and good with the ball generally. Just saying I think his arc to the NBA will take better recognition and passing.

I hope Dee’s lack of NBA career isn’t causing anyone to forget what an amazing player he was for the Illini. No way I leave him off the all-time starting lineup.

All true, but Dee isn't the only legendary PG that's worn the uniform. FWLIW, Deron is the only PG I'd take over HRF, and I don't want to show even a little disrespect to either. Just shows what a tough choice it is and how good we've had it as fans. All of them are deserving players.

This may sound a bit strange, but I think the way for Kofi to dominate is to do less individually. Sure, he could work on his post play and positioning, but I think the way he dominates is to use his head more, draw players to him, see weaknesses in the opponent's D, and pass. I'd love if he got a touch nearly every time we're in the half-court.

I can't tell you how many times I watched him last season and thought how much deadlier he'd be if he could recognize when he's attracting too much attention and found a cutter or open man. Not trying to second guess his development in any way --he's been VERY efficient, tough around the bakset, and good with the ball generally. Just saying I think his arc to the NBA will take better recognition and passing.

Agreed. I think this is where Kofi develops this year.

Comparisons are fun ... but its not fair to compare this group before the season begins to the 89 & 05 groups after their seasons ... March Kofi was way better than Nov Kofi. a better comparison would at similar points in the season. In Aug 1988: had just had two disappointing tourney finishes - Austin Peay in 87 and Villanova in 88 (we were 3 seed, had large lead, and missed 6 or 7 1-1s to blow it, shooting under 50% FT). Both 89 and 05 had high expectations going into seasons (Top 10) but both had questions and issues to be on top. Big 10 was stacked in 89. There were teams nationally just as good of returners, recruits, ... What is consistent between 89, 05 & 21 is all the articles (Tate was younger then) emphasized how hard they worked, how hungry they were, the intensity, and chemistry/working together from April-Nov and then in season Nov-April. I recall 1988 articles on Gill's workouts, Battle's ... they sound pretty similar in intensity to Ayo & Co 2020, last season and upcoming season. 89 & 05 had the opportunity to be special and they made it happen. 21 team has that chance, at this point that's all they and we can ask for.

Good post. I also remember hearing that Dee, Deron and Luther shot something like 1,000 three point shots in a time span to get better at shooting so that they could make a run ... uh, 2021 squad, TAKE NOTE! Seriously, if our three point shooting improved a bit (which isn't that crazy with a junior Ayo, Frazier bouncing back a bit, Williams continuing to gain confidence and the new guys), this team would be SO scary to run into.

altenberger22

South Carolina
Good post. I also remember hearing that Dee, Deron and Luther shot something like 1,000 three point shots in a time span to get better at shooting so that they could make a run ... uh, 2021 squad, TAKE NOTE! Seriously, if our three point shooting improved a bit (which isn't that crazy with a junior Ayo, Frazier bouncing back a bit, Williams continuing to gain confidence and the new guys), this team would be SO scary to run into.
I seem to recall a Robbie Hummel interview years ago in which he said that figure (for him) was 1,000 shots per day during the off-season.

G - Dee Brown
G - Deron Williams
G - Kendall Gill
F - Nick Anderson
C - Kofi Cockburn

So do you think kofi is better than Myers Leonard?

Agree. Nobody is going to feed Kofi in the post in today’s nba. He should focus on awareness/passing, screening and rolling to the rim, help defense/blocking shots, and grabbing every rebound in sight. A reliable jumper 18-20 feet as well. All doable.

Meyers gave us virtually nothing his freshman year. If that is the comparison, there is no comparison. If you're talking about potential, I think it's simply too early to tell.
Per my memory there is no comparison as college players, Kofi is superior. Actually think Augustine was also.

Status
Not open for further replies.