Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meyers gave us virtually nothing his freshman year. If that is the comparison, there is no comparison. If you're talking about potential, I think it's simply too early to tell.
Potential is the most important thing right he is still in the NBA love Kofi...but I think Myers was more athletic..just sayin..

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Potential is the most important thing right he is still in the NBA love Kofi...but I think Myers was more athletic..just sayin..
Meyers is an athletic anomaly, so is Kofi. I love that video of Meyers in HS jumping and dunking over a player in perfect position. If using their play at U of I, I would take Kofi 10/10. I also look forward to Kofi having have a long run in the NBA, whether as an All-star, or just a change of pace. The game changes, I just hope he goes to the right coaching staff and situation, so that they can use him to his strengths, and help him improve on any weaknesses. After helping UI to a national championship this year, bubble or not!

Deleted member 8896

D
Meyers Leonard has been in the NBA for 8 seasons and has been a tremendous representative for the University of Illinois. His career earnings have been $50,742,479. Thank you Miles!!
It truly is amazing how much he has made with so little production. I am happy for him but I doubt Miami will try to re-sign him after the season.

Interesting stat:
1987-88 team shot .279 from 3 and only made 39 all year. (23-10) record
1988-89 team shot .425 from 3 and made 118
Was basically the same team missing only 7’ Kujawa Who certainly didn’t affect that

2003-04 team shot .349 and 2004-05 shot .392 from 3 and made 344.

Similar improvement from our .309 3 point % will carry us a long way.

Also note both these were mature teams with no significant contributions from freshman.

The strengths of last year's squad were impressive. When you consider that 3 pt shooting % was 297th in the country, it's all the more testament to how strong they were at everything else. Both Ayo and Trent were below their prior season, and IIRC, Trent had some foot/leg injury he was playing through. It doesn't seem like a huge stretch to think our perimeter game will be better between those two, and contributions from one of the first year guys. I think that's a scenario that gets them a #1 seed in April, even in a tough BIG where there will be some losses.

Deleted member 29907

D
Looking forward to June/July Madness next year! This team is going to be fun to watch.

Lunardi moves us up to a 4 seed in his latest bracketology. He has never been a fan.

sacraig

The desert
Lunardi moves us up to a 4 seed in his latest bracketology. He has never been a fan.

Eh. I think Lunardi is a joke on multiple levels, but honestly we still need to prove something on the court. We haven't exactly been a great or a consistent team over the past 10 years until the conference season last year. If I take off my orange glasses, we look like a team with a very high ceiling but not one that is a sure bet to actually meet it.

Orange glasses back on...

FINAL FOUR, BABY!

Eh. I think Lunardi is a joke on multiple levels, but honestly we still need to prove something on the court. We haven't exactly been a great or a consistent team over the past 10 years until the conference season last year. If I take off my orange glasses, we look like a team with a very high ceiling but not one that is a sure bet to actually meet it.

Orange glasses back on...

FINAL FOUR, BABY!

Last year has a lot more to do with this team than the prior 10, especially since Wood wasn't here for much of that period.

Sure but even last year wasn't perfect. Strong finish but our start was rough. Like I said, high ceiling but definitely still in "prove it" mode.

True, but we were young, starting a freshman and two sophomores, at least at the beginning, so there was bound to be adjustments. We came within an Ayo slip on the floor of a B1G title and were very strong especially in the 2nd half of conference play. Look at our road wins. You want proof, you'll get it. This team is headed to big things.

sacraig

The desert
True, but we were young, starting a freshman and two sophomores, at least at the beginning, so there was bound to be adjustments. We came within an Ayo slip on the floor of a B1G title and were very strong especially in the 2nd half of conference play. Look at our road wins. You want proof, you'll get it. This team is headed to big things.

Again, I am talking about externally. I watched all of last season and have been singing our praises even through the first two BU seasons given the flashes we were seeing. But to an outside observer who isn't jumping up and down over every win and cry... err... drinking over every loss, we still need to prove it as a program.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
Lunardi’s entire career is based on one thing...and he picks a lot on what he assumes will be the best teams based on past performance and reputation. If he filled out a full bracket it would simply have every higher seed advancing. It’s fun to see if your team gets a high seed, but he’s not the one who decides, so his “expertise“ is mostly based on the same obvious criteria almost any of you more learned posters could put together.

What he lacks is an ability to go deeper into a team’s strength and weaknesses, their potential, and assess their chances based on more esoteric elements.

Again, I am talking about externally. I watched all of last season and have been singing our praises even through the first two BU seasons given the flashes we were seeing. But to an outside observer who isn't jumping up and down over every win and cry... err... drinking over every loss, we still need to prove it as a program.
We were 12-6 in conference play. That was huge for the trajectory of the team. I think the problem we had in winning over the hearts and minds of the media at large is that we were 6-1 in conference games decided by 4 points or less, as well as being 5-5 in our last 10 games.
Last year's team showed a lot of heart and toughness in close games. Hopefully these guys continue to defend at the same level, and not hang their head if shots aren't falling. I think with all the guys returning, that won't be a problem. Hopefully they aren't reading their press clippings too much. As fun as last season was, a lot of things fell our way. We were a tipped ball here, and a mid-range jumper there from being 6-12 in the B1G.
The experience of last season should be a big confidence builder and all these guys should be better, but the league is once again going to be second to none. I understand why everyone on this board is so high on what these guys could do. I also understand why some national media members might be reluctant to automatically consider us a Top 10 team. I just hope we get the chance to find out what these guys could really do on the biggest stage.

Sure but even last year wasn't perfect. Strong finish but our start was rough. Like I said, high ceiling but definitely still in "prove it" mode.

The one concern I have is the loss of Feliz in addition to no true space 4 that is ready yet. Feliz just grabbed tough rebounds, etc.... Do we have the toughness when things get tough. Ayo is tough minded, but we need more. I think Williams/Frazier with being battle tested, will bring some. I think Williams will be more confident. We have the talent at guard play and big guy in Kofi/backup in Giorgi B., but a lot will ride on those toughness battles. I think Ayo/Trent are there, but will others step up too.

sacraig

The desert
Lunardi’s entire career is based on one thing...and he picks a lot on what he assumes will be the best teams based on past performance and reputation. If he filled out a full bracket it would simply have every higher seed advancing. It’s fun to see if your team gets a high seed, but he’s not the one who decides, so his “expertise“ is mostly based on the same obvious criteria almost any of you more learned posters could put together.

What he lacks is an ability to go deeper into a team’s strength and weaknesses, their potential, and assess their chances based on more esoteric elements.

As it turns out, it's pretty easy to pick a bracket when you are paid to do it (i.e. don't have a real job to take up your time) and when you can change your answer every 3 days.

We were 12-6 in conference play. That was huge for the trajectory of the team. I think the problem we had in winning over the hearts and minds of the media at large is that we were 6-1 in conference games decided by 4 points or less, as well as being 5-5 in our last 10 games.
Last year's team showed a lot of heart and toughness in close games. Hopefully these guys continue to defend at the same level, and not hang their head if shots aren't falling. I think with all the guys returning, that won't be a problem. Hopefully they aren't reading their press clippings too much. As fun as last season was, a lot of things fell our way. We were a tipped ball here, and a mid-range jumper there from being 6-12 in the B1G.
The experience of last season should be a big confidence builder and all these guys should be better, but the league is once again going to be second to none. I understand why everyone on this board is so high on what these guys could do. I also understand why some national media members might be reluctant to automatically consider us a Top 10 team. I just hope we get the chance to find out what these guys could really do on the biggest stage.

I would add in road wins. We were tough on the road, winning at Wisky, Mich. and PU, among others. That shows toughness and is a barometer for Tourney success. Plus one of our road losses, Rutgers, was the game Ayo missed.

We were actually 13-7 last year in conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.