Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Gary Payton was an elite defender too as I'd DMW. That doesnt mean you want him guarding 6"10 250lb Micah Potter, 6'7" 270lb EJ Liddell, Trayce Jackson Davis 6'9" 245, Or Joey Hauset at 6'9" 220. That is not good for us and we are lucky to have Kofi and others on the way. They also should provide outside shooting to improve on our teams 29% from three.

No one is actually suggesting this. He has been the best option in many cases even though he's "out of position".

BLUF..we all know DMW is an excellent defender and we know it's not ideal for him to play against 4s all year. Can we all agree on that?

We have 7 very good options at the 1-3 for 120 minutes....counting Hutch and Grand at 3. DMW will likely get 15 to 25 min each game to contribute. Wishing DMW a great Senior year!

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
But I've heard BU repeatedly say that Frazier and DMW are elite defenders!

Haha, I kid, kind of. I really do think both guys are really good defender who can make all-defensive teams if we continue to have success. I also love BU, but man does he like to put it on thick when he talks about our guys.

I'll argue that DMFW and Trent are elite B1G defenders over as many beers as we can consume!! :LOL:

How can you see if they got any "votes" for the All B1G defensive team?

BillyBob1

Champaign
Am I missing something? I can only find Illinois playing PSU once last year. Stevens had 13 pts and 9 rebs, while DMW had 0 pts, 4 rebs and 4 asts. I’m sure he wasn’t on Stevens the whole game, but I remember in a crucial stretch he held Stevens in check. I don’t want to see DMW at the 4 all the time, but I think we’ll see him there for stretches against matchups that make sense and he’ll do just fine.

wasn’t Stevens in foul trouble too?

2019-2020 BIG Defensive Win Shares(games)
1. Xavier Tillman- 2.7
2. Jalen Smith-2.4
3. Daniel Oturu-2.2
4. K. Wesson-2.2
5. Harper, jr-1.9
6. Lamar Stevens-1.9
10. Kofi-1.7*
Only Illini in top 20

We won because we played good team D and were tied 1st in the B1G (1st alone in O Rebs) in rebounding margin with MSU at +7.5. Those things keep you in games, especially on the road where we were so good with 5 conference road wins in a very tough B1G (PU, Mich, N'Western, PSU and Wisky).

Still think they have to be in that top tier. That offense is too good and everyone being a year older plus getting back Bohannon should make their Defense better than last year.
My theory is that Bohannon will be looking to make up for lost time, and jack up a bunch of threes. They will forget about feeding the big guy. Iowa will be less efficient and end up hating each other in the process. (This theory is based exclusively on the beliefs of an observer with a pretty severe bias and absolutely no insider information... but wild speculation confirms it.)

My theory is that Bohannon will be looking to make up for lost time, and jack up a bunch of threes. They will forget about feeding the big guy. Iowa will be less efficient and end up hating each other in the process. (This theory is based exclusively on the beliefs of an observer with a pretty severe bias and absolutely no insider information... but wild speculation confirms it.)
The boy does like to shoot. In the last year that he played (2018-19) he put up 206 threes. Trent was our top guy last year at 165.

As close to factual as we get.

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
Still think they have to be in that top tier. That offense is too good and everyone being a year older plus getting back Bohannon should make their Defense better than last year.
Getting Bohannon back makes their defense worse IMO. Dude’s a baller and will get big minutes, but he can’t stay with the conference’s better guards. Fran usually sticks him on one-dimensional guards (good luck doing that vs. ILL this year). Hell, even Te’jon Lucas had a couple of his better games against Bohannon. Also I’m predicting Fran will find a way to screw up meshing the 2 alphas on their roster. The world will rejoice.

So if we are doing a depth chart.
PG-Ayo, Curbelo, Frazier, Underwood
SG- Frazier, Miller, Hutcherson, Ayo
SF- Williams, Miller, Hutcherson, Ayo
PF- giorgi, grandinson, BBV, Hawkins, Griffith
C. Kofi, giorgi, Hamlin, lieb

So if we are doing a depth chart.
PG-Ayo, Curbelo, Frazier, Underwood
SG- Frazier, Miller, Hutcherson, Ayo
SF- Williams, Miller, Hutcherson, Ayo
PF- giorgi, grandinson, BBV, Hawkins, Griffith
C. Kofi, giorgi, Hamlin, lieb
Think they have said Hutch can play 1-3.
Williams would be included at PF
Would guess Grandison could also play SF.
Curbelo and Kofi are the only 1 position players (and maybe Hamlin).
Not positionless but semi positionless.

Hasn’t it been reported that BBV can even serve as a small ball 5?

Underwood was even saying the 4 for Hutch. I think Monte starts at the 4. Giorgi off the bench. Miller or Hutch at the 3

Status
Not open for further replies.