Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Hutcherson could be the guy we all overlook. Shooting and athleticism is what we need and he brings it.
I really like to believe the main reason AG decided to head to upstate NY is because Hutcherson was eating his lunch on a daily basis in practice. It would explain a lot. It would also mean "That boy good" as Adam Miller suggested.

I really like to believe the main reason AG decided to head to upstate NY is because Hutcherson was eating his lunch on a daily basis in practice. It would explain a lot. It would also mean "That boy good" as Adam Miller suggested.
Just watching him on film was super impressive to me. Guy played above the rim and he wasn’t even as filled out as he is now. I think when there is a lot of smoke coming out about a guy (miller’s tweet and underwood talking him up to Jon rothstein) it must mean we aren’t seeing how good he’s gonna be. Grandinson to me is gonna be kippers role. Which isn’t a bad thing.

Anyone hear if the Illini are trying to backfill a team to take the place of Arizona, whether its a same/different date?

Did we lose any other games to teams dropping/deferring their hoops season?

Gonzaga (#1) lost 3 Pac12 games scheduled for December, and just announced they will add a game with Baylor (#2) sometime this season, with the date still TBD.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...greement-to-schedule-game-for-2020-21-season/

The NBA bubble thing in Orlando has worked out better than expected, as a result the NCAA is talking about holding some pre season tournaments in the same environment. I've got to believe that Illinois will be in that discussion.

The NBA bubble thing in Orlando has worked out better than expected, as a result the NCAA is talking about holding some pre season tournaments in the same environment. I've got to believe that Illinois will be in that discussion.

Great to hear the U of I is responsible for a Covid saliva test that get's results in 3 hours. From the report I heard, it's supposed to be ready to roll out in two months! That could solve the issues for the teams, staffs and refs. Now very optimistic about a college hoops season.

Getting Bohannon back makes their defense worse IMO. Dude’s a baller and will get big minutes, but he can’t stay with the conference’s better guards. Fran usually sticks him on one-dimensional guards (good luck doing that vs. ILL this year). Hell, even Te’jon Lucas had a couple of his better games against Bohannon. Also I’m predicting Fran will find a way to screw up meshing the 2 alphas on their roster. The world will rejoice.

I hope you are right! Guess I'm not really remembering Bohannon's D that well hopefully his 3pt shooting doesn't make up for those D deficiencies. I'm just assuming having the majority of your starters n depth back would mean they'd have to be improved on D. Hope that is not the case because regardless Iowa suckkkss.

The TBT bubble also worked out well, so 2 out of 2 seems like good odds.
If the current non-conf schedule becomes at risk, 3 round robin bubble tournaments of 4 teams each could yield 9 non-conf games with little risk.
I read somewhere today that the B1G plans to make a decision / provide guidance for fall hoops by early Sept.
Will be interesting to see if ask the players/parents for their input.

Soulberries

University of Illinois
Great to hear the U of I is responsible for a Covid saliva test that get's results in 3 hours. From the report I heard, it's supposed to be ready to roll out in two months! That could solve the issues for the teams, staffs and refs. Now very optimistic about a college hoops season.

The a University has been using the test for a few weeks now. I, myself, have been tested a few times. Results in 4-48 hours. You can download an app which gives you test results when available and monitors your potential exposure. App will deny you access to University buildings if you’ve had a positive test, have been instructed to quarantine, or haven’t had a test in the previous 4 days.

Hasn’t it been reported that BBV can even serve as a small ball 5?

I like to think I read pretty much every free news source about the illini (including some questionable grammatical pieces) and I’ve never seen anyone say BBV could play the 5...

well I guess now I have. It’s good we have even more depth behind Kofi than I previously realized!

Just watching him on film was super impressive to me. Guy played above the rim and he wasn’t even as filled out as he is now. I think when there is a lot of smoke coming out about a guy (miller’s tweet and underwood talking him up to Jon rothstein) it must mean we aren’t seeing how good he’s gonna be. Grandinson to me is gonna be kippers role. Which isn’t a bad thing.
Besides Hutch's athletic abilities what l love is his rainbow soft arch on his shot. With his length and those things he brings the team really need to improve on even as good as the team was as a whole last year.
I remember Tate saying dont be shocked if Hutch starts over Miller or DMW. Kendall Gill just said he was expected to start his junior year then he blew up. Hutch was practicing with Noah Vonleh before he came here. That could be an indicator. I dont think Vonleh would train and give Hutch the advice to come then if he wasnt good. We have no idea but Hutch sounds like he may very well too. I'm not saying he will start over Miller but if he shoots at over 40% like he did over 2 seasons and is our best athlete then setting names and the past aside how can he not get top 5 minutes whether he starts or not given that need for athleticism and very good outside shooting . I loved what I saw and other than possibly AM I personally dont see that in anyone else. He is a vital to help improve on last seasons shooting. I'm confident he and AM will be our best outside shooters. If he is the best athlete he should be good on defense against men his size and position.

Last edited:
Sure would be fun to see Illinois in one of the early season tournaments that Duke, MSU, UNC and Kansas are always in

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

tenor.gif

Listening to coach talk with Katz sounds like the app is something else. The people who invented it will probably make millions. I would be surprised that all BT schools will adopt this app. Not only that you would think the CDC would get this out to all nursing homes, assisted living facilities and hospitals. That is why ILL has one of the best computer and engineering schools in the nation. I wonder why we are not seeing this on national news.

Listening to coach talk with Katz sounds like the app is something else. The people who invented it will probably make millions. I would be surprised that all BT schools will adopt this app. Not only that you would think the CDC would get this out to all nursing homes, assisted living facilities and hospitals. That is why ILL has one of the best computer and engineering schools in the nation. I wonder why we are not seeing this on national news.

I really hate saying this...but it doesn't fit the agenda at this time...sooo much wrong in this country presently...sure hope college hoops has a season, because I think Illini fans will have a lot of fun

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
If that app along with that type of quick test went full scale national over the next few months, with the treatments and vaccines on the horizon, we'll be back in stadiums and other large venues with some restrictions by spring.

Genius is right.

I really hate saying this...but it doesn't fit the agenda at this time...sooo much wrong in this country presently...sure hope college hoops has a season, because I think Illini fans will have a lot of fun

People have to buy in too. Something like contract tracing is only so effective if people get tested, sign off on transferring those results, etc. A lot of the problem of the country right now is many would never do that, their liberties and what not. If it's a fake problem in the minds of millions as is, any solution isn't going to be very helpful.

blackdog

Champaign
The school sent an email saying Monday they did about 10,000 tests which made up 1.2% of all the national tests done that day! I got mine done yesterday at about 430pm and by 6am this morning I had notification from the app saying I was negative and updating my status to enter campus buildings.

They also released an email yesterday with updated penalties by Champaign and Urbana for parties that break social distancing rules. More than 10 people at a gathering not including the people who live in the residence and no masks is a $750 fine for every event. The email today followed up by saying the next two weeks are the most important basically trying to encourage people to wait on parties until everyone has been cleared. Almost going to make the campus like one giant bubble which I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.