Illini Basketball 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
It looks like the non-con games are already assigned a network (for the most part). Any idea when we will know the network schedule for conference games?
I’m hoping we don’t have too many games relegated to BTN2Go.
Correction I think I meant BTN+

altenberger22

South Carolina
*** 20-6 A Tie for 1st in Big Ten ***

4-2 Non-conference (Losses to Duke/Baylor)
16-4 Conference (Losses @Rutgers, @MSU, @Wisconsin and one random)

First half of the Big Ten schedule (9-1) looks easier than second half (7-3). I didn't look closely --- are they planning a Big 10 Tourney? And I wonder where pro/college sports rank in terms of vaccine availability.

There are single-plays every season. This isn't anything new.
Thats just the problem. In a normal season stop playing the cupcakes and build a quality non conference schedule like this year. That way you have time to play every team twice in the league and start the conference season earlier like they have been. Makes complete sense.

Illinois Basketball Schedule-

Illinois vs Baylor (Jimmy V Classic in Indianapolis), Wednesday, December 2nd, 9:00pm CT, ESPN

We could realistically open up B10 play 10-0 as we don’t face MSU/Iowa/Wisconsin until Game 11. Also we only play those teams a total of 4 times as Wisconsin is the only home/away matchup.

Ohio St. is the only other home/away matchup I’m worried about. Seems our schedule is pretty favorable.

*** 20-6 A Tie for 1st in Big Ten ***

4-2 Non-conference (Losses to Duke/Baylor)
16-4 Conference (Losses @Rutgers, @MSU, @Wisconsin and one random)

First half of the Big Ten schedule (9-1) looks easier than second half (7-3). I didn't look closely --- are they planning a Big 10 Tourney? And I wonder where pro/college sports rank in terms of vaccine availability.
No way every team plays full strength all season, including ours. Feed me crow if that's not the case.

altenberger22

South Carolina
No way every team plays full strength all season, including ours. Feed me crow if that's not the case.
100% accurate, as I first stated in my earlier November post. Cases in the US are now at an all-time high.

But for prediction purposes, it's easier to assume all games are played -- rather than attempting to speculate which ones will be cancelled. Covid will certainly wreak havoc on the 2020-21 college basketball season! We could go 26-0 or 22-0 in the regular season and then lose Kofi and Ayo for 20 days in March/April and get eliminated in Round 1 of the tourney. Several high profile teams are going to be really frustrated I'm sure.

JJB

Chicago, IL
Thats just the problem. In a normal season stop playing the cupcakes and build a quality non conference schedule like this year. That way you have time to play every team twice in the league and start the conference season earlier like they have been. Makes complete sense.

The NCAA doesn't even permit that under their rules this year. Teams get a max of 27 games, and even that total can only happen through the use MTE games.

Will they come out with a poster of any sort of the schedule????? That you can order.

So in terms of starters and bench guys....hear what I think it will look like. Obv could change as we haven't seen a couple of these guys yet.
PG:Trent (30 min a game) Backup-curbelo (20 min)
SG:Adam (25 min a game) Backup-Grandison (5-10 min)
SF:Ayo (he will play any of the three-(38-40 min when we get into the more difficult games) Backup-Hutch (injured, should be back at some point)
PF: Monte (25 min) Giorgi (20-25 min) Coleman (5 min) BBV injured, should be back soon
C: Kofi (33 min) Giorgi will also play center. Hamlin and Lieb most likely won't play much.

Can't wait. Less than a week til we finally get to see them on the floor. This team has a chance to do something really special. Let's enjoy this season, going to be the start of something very special here.

I-L-L

Last edited:
So in terms of starters and bench guys....hear what I think it will look like. Obv could change as we haven't seen a couple of these guys yet.
PG:Trent (30 min a game) Backup-curbelo (20 min)
SG:Adam (25 min a game) Backup-Grandison (5-10 min)
SF:Ayo (he will play any of the three-(38-40 min when we get into the more difficult games) Backup-Hutch (injured, should be back at some point)
PF: Monte (25 min) Giorgi (20-25 min) Coleman (5 min) BBV injured, should be back soon
C: Kofi (33 min) Giorgi will also play center. Hamlin and Lieb most likely won't play much.

Can't wait. Less than a week til we finally get to see them on the floor. This team has a chance to do something really special. Let's enjoy this season, going to be the start of something very special here.

I-L-L
When we see the practice videos, we see a lot of Cole and not much of Jacob. Not sure that is of any value but somehow getting the vibe that we may see more of Cole than most are projecting. If he can play defense he certainly offers an offensive talent.
Really don’t see Jacob at 1-3 as time will be split between Ayo, Trent, Adam, and Belo. Maybe even some DaMonte depending on matchups but will cover high scoring threes.
just not counting on Hutch and BBV if not available until December. Unless there is a Covid problem just not time available in a tough schedule.

When we see the practice videos, we see a lot of Cole and not much of Jacob. Not sure that is of any value but somehow getting the vibe that we may see more of Cole than most are projecting. If he can play defense he certainly offers an offensive talent.
Really don’t see Jacob at 1-3 as time will be split between Ayo, Trent, Adam, and Belo. Maybe even some DaMonte depending on matchups but will cover high scoring threes.
just not counting on Hutch and BBV if not available until December. Unless there is a Covid problem just not time available in a tough schedule.
We might see hutch as a medical redshirt? Obviously I want him to contribute since we will be good, but it would also be nice to have him for an extra year.

free year this year. Don’t waste it on this year, use it on another year if he needs it.
Is this true? For example I thought that the free year would NOT apply to Lieb, so he’ll still likely redshirt (since he wasn’t in the NCAA last season...). I’m not clear in the rule and if players like Jacob that were on a roster but not eligible to play last season would get that free year.

illini80

Forgottonia
Is this true? For example I thought that the free year would NOT apply to Lieb, so he’ll still likely redshirt (since he wasn’t in the NCAA last season...). I’m not clear in the rule and if players like Jacob that were on a roster but not eligible to play last season would get that free year.
True for all fall and winter sports.

Yes. Anyone who plays a fall or winter sport will not have this season count against their eligibility. They don't want anyone opting out of the season simply due to fear of game/season cancellations.

Lieb will be in uniform and likely to get some minutes in blowouts, or in the event of a rash of injuries or illnesses.

https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.