Illini Basketball Staff Extensions Announced

BU could go to a bigger program like UNC or something eventually, but why would he? We are willing to pay at the top, he can still get great talent here, and he is in the best conference in college basketball. He certainly isn't an NBA coach, so I think he stays he as long as he performs well.

Deleted member 4333

D
giphy.gif

I know there is always "coach speak" but BU really seems like he wants to be here long term. An $8 million buyout breeds some security as well.
That $8 million buyout has to be one of the larger in the P5 conferences. That would be about 10% of a lot of athletic departments budgets. A buyout of this size is a very smart move by Wittman when you consider that $150,000 was the buyout that Guenther had for Self.

Deleted member 4960

D
Congratulations coach! Now let’s go get a Big Ten Championship, Big Ten Tourney champ and Sweet Sixteen appearance!

It cannot be overstated how quickly (2 1/2 years) BU and his staff have turned this around. It's really quite remarkable given where the previous regime left it.
Funny you say that. Last year many were going on about us having the most losses ever and I kept saying were super young, so the future is bright! Glad the future is hear and it's so bright :cool:

JJE

Bethalto, IL
Very good move by Whitman. I was ready to dump BU after the Missouri game. I was wrong for not letting the season play out. There is a slight risk here because of the previous two years. However, he has earned a lot of respect this year. My thought was he might look really appealing to a big school like Texas or Kansas if they were forced to dump Self.
Props to Whitman for making the move to eliminate the conversation before it became a conversation.

Very good move by Whitman. I was ready to dump BU after the Missouri game. I was wrong for not letting the season play out. There is a slight risk here because of the previous two years. However, he has earned a lot of respect this year. My thought was he might look really appealing to a big school like Texas or Kansas if they were forced to dump Self.
Props to Whitman for making the move to eliminate the conversation before it became a conversation.
You realize that the flip side of firing BU after a loss that none of us liked is to give Bruce Weber a 15 year extension after Wake Forest, a game all of us loved.

Anyone more in the know than I have an idea how the new assistant salaries compare with the schools we want them to compare with?

Anyone more in the know than I have an idea how the new assistant salaries compare with the schools we want them to compare with?

I don't think specifics have not been released yet. It is more than what they were making below though.

"In May of 2018, it was announced that the contract extensions through April 2020: in men's basketball, Orlando Antigua ($350,000), Jamall Walker ($275,000), Ron Coleman Jr. ($225,000) and head strength coach Adam Fletcher ($160,000)"

Hmmmm....maybe Texas was calling?

Know someone who is a pretty big booster for Texas.

They were interested in quite a few people. BU being one of them.

He told me that the top 5 in order were Chris Beard, Underwood, Jamie Dixon, Kelvin Sampson and Anthony Grant.

They will probably wind up giving Shaka another year and letting the buyout go down a bit.

I don't think specifics have not been released yet. It is more than what they were making below though.

"In May of 2018, it was announced that the contract extensions through April 2020: in men's basketball, Orlando Antigua ($350,000), Jamall Walker ($275,000), Ron Coleman Jr. ($225,000) and head strength coach Adam Fletcher ($160,000)"
On court assistant salary pool was increased by more than 25%...so it jumps to over 1 million total...think you’d see OA close to $500,000