Illini Basketball Staff Extensions Announced

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Yeah. Texas May be the one program that worries me, but I think Shaka is out this year so Texas is likely a non-factor at this point

one other point: I think Illinois is probably a better job than Texas, but the money at Texas is basically unbeatable. That’s what scares me

Texas has unlimited money, a state that is pumping out a lot of baseball talent in the past 10-15 years, and a conference that is fluid besides Kansas. Beilein is likely going to be a top target for them. They'll also make a phone call to Chris Beard (UT connections) in hopes he's willing to leave TTU. I don't have any concern that Underwood would have interest in jumping ship to Texas (or that Texas would have him in their top candidates).

Texas has unlimited money, a state that is pumping out a lot of baseball talent in the past 10-15 years, and a conference that is fluid besides Kansas. Beilein is likely going to be a top target for them. They'll also make a phone call to Chris Beard (UT connections) in hopes he's willing to leave TTU. I don't have any concern that Underwood would have interest in jumping ship to Texas (or that Texas would have him in their top candidates).
Beard isn't interested in the UT job.

Somebody mentioned Providence or St Johns. Providence coach not going anywhere and this was Anderson's first year at St Johns. Texas, back in picture for tourney bid. But if i was AD at Texas and was going to hire a new coach i would do it this year tourney or no tourney and go after, Belein.

Texas may have unlimited money, but Beard became the 4th highest paid coach in the country by AAV when he signed his extension after the title game last April (~$4.6M per year).

I have a former student and player that is very close to BU....he has made the comment on several occasions that Illinois was BU's dream job, he's happy here, and will be at Illinois as long as they want him.....now having said that who knows if another school throws a lot of $$$$ at him that could change....but according to my former player it's not likely to happen

Yeah. Texas May be the one program that worries me, but I think Shaka is out this year so Texas is likely a non-factor at this point

one other point: I think Illinois is probably a better job than Texas, but the money at Texas is basically unbeatable. That’s what scares me
Don't be scared. No way Wood leaves for Texas, or probably anywhere.

UT will never come after Brad-ever. Even if they did, he's not going anywhere voluntarily.

They had already expressed interest and began lurking before this new contract was publicly announced.

BU did not want to leave but made it known he wanted to be compensated accordingly.

Oklahoma State screwed around and didn't pay him what he was worth, and BU hit the road. Whitman wasn't going to let that happen.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
For the record, I don't expect the staff-AD to be in total lockstep 24-7. That's delusional, IMO. But it's pretty disconcerting when there were very clearly ruffled feathers amongst staff. We don't need no dadgum monkey wrenches mucking things up. If big boosters got involved, more power to them.

Whitman is doubling down on the coach hire success he has with BU as the Lovey hire is a bit more iffy at this point.

It is well timed as he has beat all the possible end-of-year offers that will be swirling about.

The only thing that would worry me East Coast wise is if Jeff Capel would find a way to take over for Coach K at Duke.

I could see OA wanting and getting the Pitt job.

Thats a school much the same as the ones I mentioned as far as locale etc...didn't name all the similiar ones. I don't see Capel getting Duke however, I see more of one of his current asst....dare I say one from chicago possibly.

Lovey hire is a bit more iffy at this point.

In terms of success, I think Lovey looks pretty good right now. Remember basketball has had it's long run of prominence, no one, and I mean no one can say that about ILLINI football.

Lovey got us back to a bowl, is getting some recruits, and is turning around the fanbase somewhat. I would say he has had as big a mountain to climb if not higher than BU has had.

Above 500 record since 2000, Football (4), 2 were 7-6 btw, I just think Lovey has had a bigger overall task. Underwood seems this way because most ILLINI fans are more basketball fans (rabid) than football.

In terms of success, I think Lovey looks pretty good right now. Remember basketball has had it's long run of prominence, no one, and I mean no one can say that about ILLINI football.

Lovey got us back to a bowl, is getting some recruits, and is turning around the fanbase somewhat. I would say he has had as big a mountain to climb if not higher than BU has had.

Above 500 record since 2000, Football (4), 2 were 7-6 btw, I just think Lovey has had a bigger overall task. Underwood seems this way because most ILLINI fans are more basketball fans (rabid) than football.

Still, iffy.

Basketball school first, second, and third. Growing football would be great, but the two revenue sports are apples and oranges here. Basketball is and always will be an easier sport to grow quickly, but Lovie is at what should be the precipice of the initial push towards whatever you want to label success. BU still on the upswing. Football had much farther to go, and hasn't had sustained success (in my eyes) since like the 50s, so basically never (I'll conceed the 80s just to avoid arguments). Basketball was a premier program for over 20 years, top 20 all time. That's a lot easier for anyone to deal with, especially at UIUC.

Glad to see Whitman take charge, I would've liked to see the season play out, but we wont have another Self issue with Whitman. I'd imagine should Lovie catch similar success, he will be rewarded as well.

Basketball school first, second, and third. Growing football would be great, but the two revenue sports are apples and oranges here. Basketball is and always will be an easier sport to grow quickly, but Lovie is at what should be the precipice of the initial push towards whatever you want to label success. BU still on the upswing. Football had much farther to go, and hasn't had sustained success (in my eyes) since like the 50s, so basically never (I'll conceed the 80s just to avoid arguments). Basketball was a premier program for over 20 years, top 20 all time. That's a lot easier for anyone to deal with, especially at UIUC.

Glad to see Whitman take charge, I would've liked to see the season play out, but we wont have another Self issue with Whitman. I'd imagine should Lovie catch similar success, he will be rewarded as well.
Letting the season play out might have been the easiest way to lose assistants.

I have a former student and player that is very close to BU....he has made the comment on several occasions that Illinois was BU's dream job, he's happy here, and will be at Illinois as long as they want him.....now having said that who knows if another school throws a lot of $$$$ at him that could change....but according to my former player it's not likely to happen

I don't doubt any of that, but you should watch his press conference coming to Oklahoma State. He said all the right things there as well.

With the extension, I think it's plain that both sides are putting their best foot forward and in good faith. We're treating him like a top coach, and we've got a lot of great guys elevating the program with BU at the helm. Hopefully the best is yet to come, but seeing it come together has been a lot of fun already.

I don't doubt any of that, but you should watch his press conference coming to Oklahoma State. He said all the right things there as well.

With the extension, I think it's plain that both sides are putting their best foot forward and in good faith. We're treating him like a top coach, and we've got a lot of great guys elevating the program with BU at the helm. Hopefully the best is yet to come, but seeing it come together has been a lot of fun already.

How many years was he at Ok State??

He knew he could never win a championship at OKST. He said behind closed doors after his interview here...this is a basketball place that you can win championships at. He knew OKST isn’t committed to basketball and that’s why he almost walked out of one of his last meetings with OKST AD because he felt disrespected by his comments about giving him a raise

Except, at SFA, they asked him his dream job. Back then it was UI. Never was Ok State his dream job. Any one of us on this board (if we coached) wouldn’t leave UI, as it would be our dream job also.

Except, at SFA, they asked him his dream job. Back then it was UI. Never was Ok State his dream job. Any one of us on this board (if we coached) wouldn’t leave UI, as it would be our dream job also.
For the most part that is true. However, if I am making 3 million at UI, and UNC comes offering 6 million a year, many of "us" are likely gone. I'm not saying I would definitely be gone. I don't make 3 million a year, so I haven't lived that lifestyle, and I'm sure people making that want more, but I know I could live realllllly well on that 3 mil.

Either way, we know for lots of people, money talks. Money can change dreams.

He knew he could never win a championship at OKST. He said behind closed doors after his interview here...this is a basketball place that you can win championships at. He knew OKST isn’t committed to basketball and that’s why he almost walked out of one of his last meetings with OKST AD because he felt disrespected by his comments about giving him a raise
If you followed the events at OKST, it is the poster child for how things can spin quickly out of control. The OKST AD overpaid Ford big time with a small buyout. When he dumped Ford his hand were tied as far as giving BU a fair starting salary but "we will take care of you". When he couldn't, BU felt taken advantage of (this is why BTN money is such a wild card). Whitman pounced but when you look at the time line, JW must have had some earlier inkling that BU was unhappy as it happened wayyyyy toooooo quickly. The OKST AD has a bullet hole in each foot and Josh Whitman's mom didn't raise no fools.