Illini basketball ticket sales & deals

Innocent in intent? Absolutely.
Unfortunate when taken completely out of context? Definitely.
Hilarious when taken completely out of context? Yes. But I'm probably just a terrible person.

By making that list, Dan really couldn't have said it any better. It had all the ingredients for a successful promotion, and it really should be a non-story. And it absolutely would be a non-story if we were playing anyone else.
I probably have about as dirty of a mind as anyone, and jump at any opportunity I get to make controversial jokes. When I received this email originally, I didn't even think twice about it. I do think it was completely innocent. It wasn't until I saw the deadspin article that I even considered this being a dig at PSU. I think it was just a series of unfortunate coincidences. Very unfortunate, however.

Things that I learned from reading some of the posts in this thread:

1. The University of Illinois has LOTS of fans who are professional marketers, because they critique every promotion that DIA tries.

2. Pederasty is apparently best practiced in front of 16000 people and a national tv audience.

3. I can no longer call any of my children my valentine, let alone hug them after one of the greatest triumphs of my career, because it's apparently creepy.

4. I will never understand the need to seek out the negative.

The fact that many people find it disturbing makes it disturbing. But let's not forget that the reason ANYBODY would think it is disturbing would 100% be because PSU covered up pedophilia for a decade or two.

It's on them. For us, it's an innocent picture. It's their fault that something innocent and joyous can get twisted in our minds to something grotesque and disturbing.

I say we move on and let's find the distastful part of this ad to be PSU's response to THEIR problem, not our ad department's (probably) inadvertent juxtaposition of the pic with PSU visiting.

Things that I learned from reading some of the posts in this thread:

1. The University of Illinois has LOTS of fans who are professional marketers, because they critique every promotion that DIA tries.

2. Pederasty is apparently best practiced in front of 16000 people and a national tv audience.

3. I can no longer call any of my children my valentine, let alone hug them after one of the greatest triumphs of my career, because it's apparently creepy.

Isn't this a sad truth? When I was kid, my dad gave me a valentine, and it wasn't creppy. People get soooooo sensitive and get worried about being misconceived. There are creepy people out there, but the truth of the matter most people aren't. This wasn't creepy to me, no matter who our opponent is.

The fact that many people find it disturbing makes it disturbing. But let's not forget that the reason ANYBODY would think it is disturbing would 100% be because PSU covered up pedophilia for a decade or two.

It's on them. For us, it's an innocent picture. It's their fault that something innocent and joyous can get twisted in our minds to something grotesque and disturbing.

I say we move on and let's find the distastful part of this ad to be PSU's response to THEIR problem, not our ad department's (probably) inadvertent juxtaposition of the pic with PSU visiting.
+10000. You nailed it. Its on PSU, not us. Next story.....

Um, because it's an adorable picture of John Groce and his son, whom he loves, and today is about celebrating love? It's a good idea because it's a great photo; child abuse is the farthest thing from my mind when I see this ad. It's ridiculous that multiple media outlets have blown up about this.
Agreed. I liked the photo so much I made it my avatar. Never ever thought about it being misconstrued.

Clearly somebody tipped these websites off; it's not like the editor of Deadspin gets e-mails from the U of I ticket office. Oh well. It is what it is...that picture is adorable.
Actually, Will Leitch started Deadspin is a UI grad and big Illini fan. He grew up in Mattoon. I don't think he's involved at Deadspin anymore though.

No, I vehemently disagree. It was a very bad decision. To us die-hard Illini fans who know exactly what that picture is and the story behind it, sure, we get it. I still don't like it, but I at least understand it.

To every single other person who doesn't know the story behind that photo it looks really terrible and makes the UI look painfully stupid.

Just an awful decision. Great picture, terrible usage.
As if people who don't know the story behind the post basketball game scene in the picture are on the UI email list for up coming Illini games. :laugh:

Agree - I am so disturbed reading these comments. There is nothing wrong w/a father hugging his child - shirt or no shirt. It's really sad that people think this way, or are so jaded, that's the first way people react.

Agree - I am so disturbed reading these comments. There is nothing wrong w/a father hugging his child - shirt or no shirt. It's really sad that people think this way, or are so jaded, that's the first way people react.
agree w/ u and DCIF. It is so nice that we have a group of "creepiness police" out there warning us of this issue.

I find you guys who think this is weird to be weird
+10000. Nothing weird or strange about this picture. They were clearly making the point that your friend, kid, parent etc. could be your valentine & go to a game together. A dad is hugging his son. Get a grip people.

This was a great pic that should be just that. To cheapen it by using for some hokey VD promotion just shows another example of poor marketing decisions by athletic dept.

Would it be weird if it were not Penn State? I dont know why we have to tip toe around Penn State because they had a scandal, cant play certain songs at OUR football stadium and now we have to censor what photos WE use in OUR advertisment? If PSU ran this ad it might be worth talking about.

Banned
Traverse City, MI
Why is this thread on here?

If anyone thinks any part of this ad relates to a football coordinator at PSU that molested young men is completely out of their mind, and should start using common sense instead of just following every story they see from the media.

I'm not trying to offend any of my fellow Illinois fans, but c'mon man! If we consider ourselves higher beings, we should start thinking for ourselves!!

I agree that this article is a total reach. I assume it was meant as a somewhat humorous observation about the juxtaposition of the valentine image with Coach Groce holding his son, but the situation at PSU was not remotely a subject for humor and linking it to our picture is totally inappropriate.

Founder, Kipper Fan Club
As if people who don't know the story behind the post basketball game scene in the picture are on the UI email list for up coming Illini games. :laugh:
Hey, that's a great point. All we need to do now is hope national media outlets don't find this picture and start pointing out what a terrible decision it was.

Wait...

And I quote: ":laugh:"

Founder, Kipper Fan Club

We aren't. And neither are the people pointing out the awkward promotion on national sites like Deadspin and Yahoo.

Missing the point entirely.

Missing the point entirely. Illini fans aren't seeking it out. It's being pointed out by national media like Deadspin and Yahoo.

It's not about how we perceive it. We know what it is and what was intended. It's a great picture. It doesn't mean it was a good idea to use it in that context. The people in marketing at UI need to have an awareness of what they are sending out to the public and in this case, as innocent as we know the image is, they completely dropped the ball. In this world you cannot simply worry about what you like. You have to imagine how the outside world will perceive it. You have to anticipate feedback both positive and negative. Ball = dropped

Hey, that's a great point. All we need to do now is hope national media outlets don't find this picture and start pointing out what a terrible decision it was.

Wait...

And I quote: ":laugh:"
So then national Media outlets should actually do some research before they talk about something for which they don't have all the facts.

Oh wait that would be actual journalism and require them to do some reporting.

nm.

We aren't. And neither are the people pointing out the awkward promotion on national sites like Deadspin and Yahoo.

No, but the people at Deadspin and Yahoo are of a profession that sadly enough promotes negative ideas, incidents, and more often than not does it by spreading incorrect and untruthful information before finding out the truth behind matters. And yes, I was in journalism once...left it because I couldn't stand the common practices of the profession and the tendency of my peers to strive to turn everything into a news worthy item by twisting facts and highlighting the most negative incidents taking place.

He is only in your opinion...

At this point, I fear you too are missing his point entirely...

Missing the point entirely. Illini fans aren't seeking it out. It's being pointed out by national media like Deadspin and Yahoo.

It's not about how we perceive it. We know what it is and what was intended. It's a great picture. It doesn't mean it was a good idea to use it in that context. The people in marketing at UI need to have an awareness of what they are sending out to the public and in this case, as innocent as we know the image is, they completely dropped the ball. In this world you cannot simply worry about what you like. You have to imagine how the outside world will perceive it. You have to anticipate feedback both positive and negative. Ball = dropped
I agree with you, CHL, in that everyone should error on the side of caution when it comes to emailing, texting, posting, marketing anything...anticipating how it could be perceived by others.

But still, at some point you also have to realize that there are people out there who are literally looking for anything to raise a red flag about...and if you tried to compensate for their sensitivity, then nobody could do anything. To most people I have talked to, this is being blown WAY out of proportion and taken completely out of context by those in the media who make a living out of making a scene of things. To me, that is what's wrong and the idiots in the media are the ones who should be lambasted over this.

So then national Media outlets should actually do some research before they talk about something for which they don't have all the facts.

Oh wait that would be actual journalism and require them to do some reporting.

nm.
Exactly...whose ever heard of such a thing in this day and age where we plop computers in front of fools and tell them to "write something that will grab peoples attention" or plop microphones in front of fools faces like Tony Cornheiser, Michael Wilbon, Dave Lebatard, Jay Mariotti, etc, and let them spout their own biased opinions as if they are fact...when in reality, all they are doing is stiring the pot with controversy hoping that it will generate a response to their blog, column, website, etc.

It amazes me when people just read something or hear something in the media and never look at the media and ask "did you research this at all", "are there even facts involved...is this actually true and to what extent", "what is your motive in publishing this", etc.

98% of the stuff published nowadays would be classified as fiction if we were to actually hold the media accountable for the slop it slings around.

This is such a non issue. Don't know why people give it any attention at all. Those of you crying about the negativity of the ad have twisted it so far out of context it's beyond belief.