Illini Coaching Staff

This! If there was an assistant to be concerned over it was Boyton. The other two were less important. Boyton is the only one that came from SFA and the only one that really knew BU's full system. Given the resources available UI should be able to attract the caliber asst that is able to learn a good bit of the system over the next 4-5 months.

This.... there are lots of coaches that know BU"s offense & defense! And not because they have worked for him but because they have coached against him! This is the most ridiculous thread I've read on here in a long time - wow

This.... there are lots of coaches that know BU"s offense & defense!

I know the offense and have learned it from BU at coaches clinics. Maybe time to put my name into the hat!

Also as a bonus someone tell guenther I'd never leave!

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Does anyone think it is possible that the OSU assistants are upset about how BU left the program? As "out of the blue" as it was to everyone but Whitman and BU, I see this as a possibility. Not that I agree or disagree either way. I know we will find a solid assistant.

Maybe

illynifan34

That's a winner!!
OH
Here's how I see it. Evans chose to work for someone that's never been a head coach before over someone he's seen firsthand be a head coach. I think it is safe to assume he wants to be a head coach some day. He thinks working for someone that's never done the job is a bettter path to that than coming to Illinois and working for someone who has done it. That's not concerning to anyone else? Underwood wanted Evans with him at Illinois and he was unable to get him to come help him build our program. Now he's going to fall back to a second or third option, I don't think I'm crazy for thinking that's a concern.

One name I'm surprised hasn't come up yet that could make a lot of sense: Jeff Van Gundy.

Deleted member 8213

D
Here's how I see it. Evans chose to work for someone that's never been a head coach before over someone he's seen firsthand be a head coach. I think it is safe to assume he wants to be a head coach some day. He thinks working for someone that's never done the job is a bettter path to that than coming to Illinois and working for someone who has done it. That's not concerning to anyone else? Underwood wanted Evans with him at Illinois and he was unable to get him to come help him build our program. Now he's going to fall back to a second or third option, I don't think I'm crazy for thinking that's a concern.

Yeah... its either all that BS you said or else he decided he likes it in Stillwater and didn't want to move again after 1 year. So what.

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
I just heard that Brad Underwood's favorite ball boy decided to stay on at OSU. Oh the humanity!

Funny coincidence... my wife used to be a ball girl (or something to that effect) at Western Illinois when Underwood was an assistant there. She was in grade school at the time. I know we're not supposed to leak our sources but she's my one degree of separation from the coaching staff.

You're probably crazy for thinking that's a concern. I suspect OSU's AD has painted himself into a corner. The only guy he could go to was Boynton. If Boynton wanted to keep Evans he can probably get the AD to pay w/e he can afford. If Evan's takes a big chunk out of their pool you have to wonder what they'll do to fill out the rest of their staff. I could care less about OSU though.

Underwood is a proven coach. He's not new. He and Josh are going to work to put together a quality staff; hell it might be a major upgrade from what we saw at OSU. Maybe he's looking at creating a pipeline. There's a bunch of different ways he could go. For now, let's trust in some competent folks to do their job and wait and see what our staff looks like.

The sky isn't falling. I realize we've been abused by our athletic department for decades and people can't be asked to change overnight, but we have a GOOD athletic department now. That doesn't mean there won't be up's and down's but let's try and be a positive for our school. This fan base needs to chill out. Best new hire in the nation and we still have panic in the forums. What's it gonna take people?

Let's wait until this time next year and compare program trends for OSU and the Illini.

Deleted member 8213

D
If he weighed Stillwater vs career advancement and saw Stillwater as a better option we're in big trouble.

Lol are you for real? That is the most ridiculous leap of logic I've seen in quite some time.

If he weighed Stillwater vs career advancement and saw Stillwater as a better option we're in big trouble.

You're jumping to a ton of conclusions. Here is an idea, he had the opportunity to be the lead assistant at the University he is already at, and stay on the same recruits - versus being the second assistant at a brand new school for the second time in two years. Not every decision to leave schools is as easy as is fans make it seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm. Are we even sure Coach Underwood wanted Evans... that an offer was extended? Perhaps BU saw an opportunity to improve his staff at Illinois and Evans saw that writing was on the wall.

JJB

Chicago, IL
Here's how I see it. Evans chose to work for someone that's never been a head coach before over someone he's seen firsthand be a head coach. I think it is safe to assume he wants to be a head coach some day. He thinks working for someone that's never done the job is a bettter path to that than coming to Illinois and working for someone who has done it. That's not concerning to anyone else?

I think it's easier to sell success as Associate Head Coach to a unproven HC than it is to sell as an assistant to a proven HC. Look, it could be salary. It could be personality conflict. It could be he doesn't want to uproot his family again. It could be that the recruits he is in on at OSU have him set up for a future track record of success (see his handiwork at South Carolina).

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
Ummm. Are we even sure Coach Underwood wanted Evans... that an offer was extended? Perhaps BU saw an opportunity to improve his staff at Illinois and Evans saw that writing was on the wall.

I'd assume some kind of offer was made or there were communications, but he's still one name on a HUGE list of potential assistants. I honestly like the fact that we've slowed down and are taking some time to find the last couple assistant coaches. It was pressing to find a head coach as soon as possible, now that guy is taking time to ensure his staff is set to help him succeed in player development and recruiting. Not every good assistant is coming to Illinois and there are plenty left to be pursued. BU is a great basketball mind and I'm sure our staff will be as good as it would've with Evans.

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal

He took a raise and a title of Associate Head Coach. To your point, if he wants to become a head coach someday, Boynton and Holder might've just sped up that timeline.

zpfled

Logan Square, Chicago
Based on your username and "dysfuntion" in your post, you seem to like replacing "i" with "y". Maybe you should replace your pessimism with a wait-and-see approach.

I love a good spelling burn

That's just crazy talk! Obviously Evans was the key to this whole deal and now we will never have an offense!

Illinois will be fine losing evans

but lets not get it twisted he is a great recruiter. If you can sign Dozier and thornwell at South Carolina and make it to a final four you can recruit. I really wish him and Boynton were in Champaign because they are quality coaches. I just think now it puts a little pressure for coach to get some good recruiters in here.

Feeling like Erik Pastrana is very likely at this point. Young and unproven, but was an assistant at SFU under Underwood all three years and was a grad assistant under Frank Martin at KSU when Underwood was on that staff. Pastrana was offered a support role last year at Oklahoma St, but opted to stay at SFU initially and then eventually moved on to FIU (didn't want to take a step down from assistant to DOBO or Special Asst. to HC). Frank Martin is a family friend. Also, Pastrana played HS at Wellington - same school as Trent Frazier.