Illini Coaching Staff

#1,026      
but he has a lot more to sell at UI than he did at Bradley and UIC. If he can get Chicago kids/parents/coaches to give Underwood a chance, winning and style of play will win them over. We will see if he is as connected to Irvin's/Slaughter, etc as people have mentioned. This is a far, far better staff than what Groce had. I expect good things. Maybe I am crazy.

Exactly selling Bradley is tough. Small enrollment, small campus, not a college town. Its a good school if you're looking for a good education, but to play basketball....not so much.

#1,027      
If we are going to go after a UIC assistant that has Chicago ties for the 3rd assistant role, why not give Deon Thomas a look? He was at UIC as an assistant, played at Simeon (albeit awhile ago) and could speak to being an Illini...

This could be a dumb suggestion, but was just curious.

Deon just got out of coaching so seems unlikely he'd want the job.

#1,029      

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
Antigua will have the duty of coaching/developing our bigs, according to the article above. I wonder if that was also his role at UK with Anthony Davis, Noel, Cousins, etc.

#1,030      

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
Wow! Really needed some good news after reading all the Tilmon chatter. Big thanks to Underwood and Whitman for making this happen!

#1,031      
All I know about "chin" Coleman is that there isn't a major college asst basketball coach who has stronger ties to the Irvin's and the Chicago AAU scene than he - primarily because he was a coach for their AAU TEAMS for years. Secondly, he was very successful at infiltrating Chicagoland talent in his short time at Nebraska which is the closest he has ever been to a P5 asst. coaching job. (If I recall he got quite a few 3/4* recruits on CAmpus and he was on their support staff). I'm sure there might be better overall choices but if you want Chicagoland talent -he is more than capable at getting some of the best.

#1,032      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
Wow! Really needed some good news after reading all the Tilmon chatter. Big thanks to Underwood and Whitman for making this happen!

And the timing of all this makes it seem like an intentional stealing of the headline; controlling the narrative. Maybe it's a coincidence, but I like my conspiracy theory better.

#1,033      
Antigua will have the duty of coaching/developing our bigs, according to the article above. I wonder if that was also his role at UK with Anthony Davis, Noel, Cousins, etc.

Love the Antigua pedigree, recruiting resume for sure....interesting that Tilmon would not want to be "Stuck" with a potential coach that will be working with BIGS and has that history....maybe Kiir is the better fit?

Time will tell!

#1,037      
Officially official

And Fletch is back on staff

Am I the only one that thinks this staff is starting to actually look/feel like we are serious and a Top 10 type of a program with retentions/new hires?

10 years of misery....the Kool Aid is tasting good right now!

:chief:

#1,038      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
Love the Antigua pedigree, recruiting resume for sure....interesting that Tilmon would not want to be "Stuck" with a potential coach that will be working with BIGS and has that history....maybe Kiir is the better fit?

Time will tell!

Apparently, the price wasn't right Bob ;)

#1,039      

TownieMatt

CU Expat
Chicago
Am I the only one that thinks this staff is starting to actually look/feel like we are serious and a Top 10 type of a program with retentions/new hires?

10 years of misery....the Kool Aid is tasting good right now!

:chief:

After today, I'm hitting the Kool Aid hard tonight. #LoyaltyAfterDark

#1,040      
ILLINOIS hit the Jackpot landing the best recruiter in the nation.

Antiqua- This guy knows all the players 5 star nationwide. Great news.

Word is he is already chasing top talent to fill the gaping hole at center.

#1,042      

Larken24

Florida
I want to ask my fellow Illini fans, did we ever have this much excitement for Illini Basketball this early into a new coaching season like we are now? I don't recall us being this excited early in Groce's tenure but this feels AWESOME!!!

#1,043      
Ron Coleman would be a great hire. Yes he has ties to the Irvins, but he also has paid his coaching dues with several DI jobs. He also has ties to Whitney Young where he served as an asst coach for about 5 years. Illinois has done well with Simeon, having a coach with ties to Mac Irvin, Morgan Park, and Whitney Young alone will serve use well.

#1,044      

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
This is fantastic news!! Big Boy Brad bringing Big Boy Basketball back to Chambana!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,045      

MrOizo

Chicago
I am perfectly good with Chin Coleman to wrap the assistants. I want Jimmy's and Joe's. And more Jimmy's. And more Joe's.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#1,050      

sacraig

The desert
Today is the day where a whole bunch of Kool Aid splashed out of our cup, but when we looked in it again, it was fuller than before!

An apt metaphor.

giphy.gif