Illini Coaching Staff

#1,051      

illynifan34

That's a winner!!
OH
Just imagine us having players with the caliber of KAT, Noel, etc. drool

He's a good recruiter but Underwood isn't Calipari and Illinois isn't Kentucky, let's not get carried away. This is a great hire but magic doesn't happen in real life.

#1,053      
He's a good recruiter but Underwood isn't Calipari and Illinois isn't Kentucky, let's not get carried away. This is a great hire but magic doesn't happen in real life.

I forget the last time we successfully recruited a top 10 ranked high school player (05 team?), but just that alone can get us very excited for a long long time.

#1,054      

He was a big time recruiter at Pitt and Memphis as well. Yes Kentucky and Calipari helped put him on another level but he is more than capable of being our best recruiter since Jimmy Collins

#1,055      

illinifan87

The Windy City
Antigua is a grand slam. Wanna know if Underwood can recruit? Well... :)

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#1,056      

illinifan87

The Windy City
#1,058      
Whats the chances something is determined "against" Antigua BEFORE UNC in regards to academic investigations?

Ironic I would say....if UNC gets a slap on the wrist for all of their allegations if proven, then Antigua would get what " a raise"?

#1,060      
Obviously Tilmon transferred out of LaLu, but is he still close with Heirman? I know we're all expecting a Chicago guy, but Heirman makes sense on numerous levels.

#1,064      
ILLINOIS hit the Jackpot landing the best recruiter in the nation.

Antiqua- This guy knows all the players 5 star nationwide. Great news.

Word is he is already chasing top talent to fill the gaping hole at center.

I think Antigua will definitely be an upgrade from the staff we had before. But recruiting for Kentucky is different than recruiting at Illinois. Still like to see Ron Coleman added, the combination of Walker, Antigua, and Coleman will be a massive upgrade.

#1,066      

MrOizo

Chicago
I think Antigua will definitely be an upgrade from the staff we had before. But recruiting for Kentucky is different than recruiting at Illinois. Still like to see Ron Coleman added, the combination of Walker, Antigua, and Coleman will be a massive upgrade.
Agree, I assuming that BU and other support staff will teach the system adequately, let the last spot give us a good shot at Chicago. If Chin and Antigua can get us a steady flow of city of Chicago and Chicagoland 50-150 ranked guys, we will be in absolutely great shape. Combine that with Walker locking most of the down state / non STL and some national recruits through Antigua, and we can focus on fit and development for a change.

#1,067      
Let's handicap this bad boy. Lay out your odds for:

Coleman
Heirman
The field

Chin Coleman: 3-1
Shane Heirman: 12-1
Roger Powell: 40-1
Stephen Gentry: 50-1
Dennis Gates: 75-1
Erik Pastrana: 100-1
Mike Mennenga: 150-1
Deon Thomas: 150-1
HRH Lord Jeff Van Gundy: 900-1
Someone not yet mentioned: 300-1

In other words, I think it will end up being one of the people we've discussed, and I'm almost positive it will be Chin Coleman. UNLESS it becomes crystal clear that adding Heirman lands us Brian Bowen, Tilmon, and Mark Smith (domino effect: Tilmon played with Bowen and under Heirman, so maybe the increased comfort level draws him back in; if Tilmon comes and another major talent joins the class, maybe that's enough to tip the scales in Smith's recruitment).

Crazy that one plausible scenario has us landing a top-5 class with two 5-stars and another possible NBA talent in Smith, while the other (unfortunately more) plausible scenario has us hunting for late decommitments and JUCO transfers to fill an empty boat. Well, it's crazy that we can have the discussion on April 6th.

#1,068      
One thing: adding Chin Coleman to the staff probably makes us prohibitive favorites to land Ayo Dosunmu. He'd fit well in Underwood's system.

#1,074      
Whatever you may think of Martin's coaching abilities, beating him for the few recruits that generally come out of St Louis is going to be a very tough task...no matter who is on the staff

Well he has the Mattoon connection now, so there is that....I like our chances with both Walker and Antigua! Now add say Coleman/Heirman....we are set!

#1,075      
Forgot about all the STL talent that has come here recruited by Walker.... Goodwin, Smith, Tilmon... Wait a minute....

I'm not saying that Walker is the savior and greatest recruiter in the STL region, but based on all accounts, he is well liked and respected in the region by both players and coaches. If you officially announce him as an assistant, and then soon after fire him because a kid had a change of heart after a coaching change, then I can pretty much guarantee that those coaches will remember.

As for having to recruit against Martin and Ford, so what that it's gonna be hard? It's not like recruiting Chicago has been, or will be, a walk in the park, and I don't see anyone wanting to give up on that. We haven't really been getting the top talent out of Chicago recently, either.

I'm not saying that St. Louis is the key to the Final Four. I'm just saying, let's maybe not burn any bridges before Coach Underwood has even coached one game for us. Plus, you never know what kind of talent may come out of the two regions in the future.