Illini Coaching Staff

#1,676      
I want the people responsible for the quality of execution that made Brad Underwood a $3 million dollar coach to have as many fingers in as many pies as possible as Illinois transitions to that system. Gentry can be involved in many things in his current role and I'm extremely glad we have him. He could be involved in more as an assistant. Recruiting is not just landing players, it's knowing which players to land.

Plus he's cheap, and the less you pay him the more you have for others.

I would fully expect Gentry to be involved in which players they need to land to fit this system. And then he will communicate those needs to the guys that are in charge of landing them. There's no evidence that Gentry should be handling any more of a role than he has in the past. You say you want people in positions that helped lead to BU's success, then that's exactly what he is doing with Gentry. Just because a guy is great in one position, doesn't mean he would be equally effective in another.

Underwood had a ton of success at SFA, and the only assistant that came with him to OSU was Boynton. He greatly improved OSU with 2 brand new assistants. The common denominator is obviously BU. In a perfect world, yeah I would love it if there was an assistant that knew BU's system, could recruit, and was gettable. Unfortunately Lamont Evans didn't meet the "gettable" portion of that equation.

#1,678      
If you don't want to keep bashing the staff, why do you keep doing it every chance you get??

And, if you were "all-in" on the Underwood era, you wouldn't keep bashing his hires either. JMO

Exactly! He's one bash away from making my IGNORE list. I just can't take any more of the constant drivel.

#1,681      
Exactly! He's one bash away from making my IGNORE list. I just can't take any more of the constant drivel.

*puts finger to giant red button with "BASH" written on it*

*eyes narrow*

Seriously though, what I, some keyboard jockey who doesn't know jack crap from Jack Krap, thinks about the staff doesn't make a lick of difference. I've made my point as well as it's gonna get made, I'm done.

We have a tremendous head coach, he has assembled his staff, now lets go get 'em.

#1,683      
... And if we don't, if we're playing basketball that looks more influenced by John Groce and Nick Irvin than Brad Underwood, the place to point the finger will be obvious.

Geez man, chin up. Underwood is an alpha dog among alpha dogs. He knows exactly what got him here. I highly doubt he's suddenly going to be influenced by Groce-ball tactics. You may as well start worrying about the SFC roof caving in, cuz it's just as likely.

#1,684      

EJ33

San Francisco
Keys to recruiting Chicago:

1) Win
2) Get players to the NBA
3) Build relationships

#1 and #2 matter a lot more than #3.

#3 without #1 and #2 get you second place finishes.

#1 and #2 are straight from Robert Smith's mouth on the Tay & Jay show.

Honestly, you can take the view that many in-state coaches have been polite when volunteering all manner of reasons for why we couldn't close the deal with their players over the last 10 years.

If they were being honest, the answer to the question "Why didn't X choose Illinois?" is "Because Illinois sucks right now."

Well, that just cuts through all the crap and nails it. :)

Win and look good doing it is the first order of business to be competitive in Chicago. I hope Underwood goes for the "motored up" (Underwood's phrase) high 3 star / 4 star talent before putting all his eggs in the 5 star basket. The recruiting ladder starts with winning with gettable guys.

#1,685      
*puts finger to giant red button with "BASH" written on it*

*eyes narrow*

Seriously though, what I, some keyboard jockey who doesn't know jack crap from Jack Krap, thinks about the staff doesn't make a lick of difference. I've made my point as well as it's gonna get made, I'm done.

We have a tremendous head coach, he has assembled his staff, now lets go get 'em.

I kid, I kid....

Attachments

• not sure if meme.jpg
    not sure if meme.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 248
#1,686      
See, your mistake here is, you've labeled Underwood BOTH an X and O guy AND a recruiter. Clearly, that is an impossibility (see board comments for proof) :D

This staff I believe was put together for the following:

X and O - Underwood, Walker, and Gentry

Recruiting - Underwood, Anitgua, Coleman

#1,687      

Illiniwek06

N of I-80
Rookie mistake. Everyone knows that X/O and recruiting attribute points for coaches are a zero sum game.

cBuaD1f.gif

#1,688      
Fwiw s&c, he didn't try to bring over Boynton from okst. He did try to get Evans but okst basically making him a co head coach couldn't have been foreseen.

#1,689      
If you don't want to keep bashing the staff, why do you keep doing it every chance you get??

And, if you were "all-in" on the Underwood era, you wouldn't keep bashing his hires either. JMO

I will actually defend S&C here. Maybe "all in" wasn't the best phrase to use, but being a supporter of a coach and a program does not mean that you have to blindly be 100% behind every action taken by the coach and/or program. It is OK to criticize, especially since none of us has any power. We are all just opinionated blowhards.

#1,690      

davesworld

Athens
Why can't Gentry leave campus? I know he can't go out on his own to recruit but his title here is different than where he was in his last 2 stops... his job may be similar but his title "assisstant to the head coach" may allow him to travel with BU on recruiting visits... just a thought

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

#1,691      
Why can't Gentry leave campus? I know he can't go out on his own to recruit but his title here is different than where he was in his last 2 stops... his job may be similar but his title "assisstant to the head coach" may allow him to travel with BU on recruiting visits... just a thought

He can't, NCAA regulations.

#1,692      
These are some of the less ridiculous NCAA regulations. It's pretty clear in both football and basketball: coaches coach the players and coaches recruit the players. Those functions cannot be outsourced to parts of the staff where you can hire unlimited numbers of people.

#1,693      

Deleted member 16340

D
It's reasonable to have "keep staff intact" as your starting point, because like you said, if you're buying their past successes, try to get what earned said successes.

But this can only ever be a starting point. Setting aside the competitive marketplace for coaches, no two P5 jobs are the same. You've got different variables to account for that may or may not be need to addressed via how you construct a staff.

So, past performance does not nessarily assure future results

#1,694      

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Only the head coach and the three assistants can recruit off campus.

#1,696      
Orlando making an early appearance on the Calipari 30 for 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This 30 for 30 actually got me to like Coach Cal. Kinda made me feel bad for the guy. He cares about the players' well being and he got Kansas and Duke to start playing the "one and done" game

#1,697      
This 30 for 30 actually got me to like Coach Cal. Kinda made me feel bad for the guy. He cares about the players' well being and he got Kansas and Duke to start playing the "one and done" game

There was no way that 30 for 30 airs if it wasn't painting him in a good light. I'm not sure the ESPN and KY/Calipari connection, but it's there.

Last edited:
#1,700      

I agree. I couldn't help but think, "he may not do it the NCAA way, but as a parent, I know he only has the best interest in the kids."

Now you see why he gets recruits. He is fearless.