Illini Coaching Staff

haasi

New York
Ron "Chin" Coleman joining Illini Basketball staff (April 12th, 2017)
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=1304958#post1304958

Orlando Antigua joining Illini Basketball staff (April 5th, 2017)
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=1302076#post1302076

Jamall Walker staying as Illini assistant coach (March 23rd, 2017)
http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?p=1297896#post1297896

-----------------------------------------------------
So any ideas about assistant coaches? Likelihood of Lamont Evans coming with BU? Either of the other two OK State assistants? A Chicago focused guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
So any ideas about assistant coaches? Likelihood of Lamont Evans coming with BU? Either of the other two OK State assistants? A Chicago focused guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henderson- is Texas High School Coach linked to Marcus Smart recruitment who I don't believe brings anything to table here and probably not coming.

Boyton Jr.- South Carolina alum and worked with Underwood at Stephen F. Austin and USC. A possibility but doesn't bring much to Illini table at first glance

Lamont Evans-Been with Underwood the longest and appears to be the recruiting star of group. I'd put money on him being most likely to join Underwood here.

Chicago recruiter? I don't know, but Underwood is not opposed to going to high school ranks to find right guy

haasi

New York
Walker Evans and Heirman, bringing along Tugs. I like it

It's been reported Underwood will keep Walker on staff. Walker may be courted by other programs and may have mixed emotions due to his loyalty to Groce. Is Walker a lock to stay if asked?

It's been reported Underwood will keep Walker on staff. Walker may be courted by other programs and may have mixed emotions due to his loyalty to Groce. Is Walker a lock to stay if asked?

Whatever next destination Groce goes they won't be able to afford Walker. Our main competition has to be Cuonzo and Mizzou and I have to think that if they had an offer to outdo ours it would have already happened.

Whitman is obviously shrewd enough to know that Walker is a must keep in this scenario and Underwood must agree

Whatever next destination Groce goes they won't be able to afford Walker. Our main competition has to be Cuonzo and Mizzou and I have to think that if they had an offer to outdo ours it would have already happened.

Whitman is obviously shrewd enough to know that Walker is a must keep in this scenario and Underwood must agree

Was Tilmon ever considering Mizzou/Cal? Let's say Mizzou gets Walker would Tilmon follow or go to SLU or NC, etc? I hate speculating on recruits but I'd guess Waker packaged with Tilmon to Mizzou is more wishlist on their part than reality.

Last edited:

Deleted member 10676

D
Was Tilmon ever considering Mizzou/Cal? Let's say Mizzou gets Walker would Tilmon follow or go to SLU or NC, etc? I hate speculating on recruits but I'd guess Waker packaged with Tilmon to Mizzou is more wishlist on their part than reality.

Jeremiah and his mother have said more than once that where Jamall is, that's where Jeremiah will be. I haven't seen anything that says that anything has happened more than Josh and Underwood want Jamall to stay and he's agreeable. But he'd only be human to want to know what Cuonzo and Mizzou are willing to offer and I don't think they'd be talking to him until the NIT is over. I'll be very interested in how Josh words it Monday at the presser. Hope they pay the man and Josh says Walker is on staff and we can all quit worrying. Jamall is also the lead recruiter on Smith, so it would really help there too, if he is signed.

PS - and I would imagine if Jamall's a free agent, SLU might try and get in on the bidding although I doubt they'd be able to match us or Miznoz.

Jeremiah and his mother have said more than once that where Jamall is, that's where Jeremiah will be. I haven't seen anything that says that anything has happened more than Josh and Underwood want Jamall to stay and he's agreeable. But he'd only be human to want to know what Cuonzo and Mizzou are willing to offer and I don't think they'd be talking to him until the NIT is over. I'll be very interested in how Josh words it Monday at the presser. Hope they pay the man and Josh says Walker is on staff and we can all quit worrying. Jamall is also the lead recruiter on Smith, so it would really help there too, if he is signed.

Cuonzo and crew have already reached out to Walker regardless of NIT. The fact that he didn't jump ship speaks volumes

Ford is without the finances

PS - and I would imagine if Jamall's a free agent, SLU might try and get in on the bidding although I doubt they'd be able to match us or Miznoz.

Thanks for the info. I understood Tilmon committed to Illini because of Walker but didn't realize they were coupled. Porter Jr makes sense, because - dad of course. I agree about Walker getting what he can. Hopefully, we pony up!

Henderson- is Texas High School Coach linked to Marcus Smart recruitment who I don't believe brings anything to table here and probably not coming.

Chicago recruiter? I don't know, but Underwood is not opposed to going to high school ranks to find right guy

I actually wouldn't be surprised by Henderson. Keeps a foot in the door in Texas, specifically the Dallas area. Linked to Smart's recruitment because he was his HS coach, along with phil forte. Depends on how much BU wants to prioritize Texas.

If he is not kept, and move to a Chicago guy, a guy fits a similar bill to Henderson is Robert Smith at Simeon. A guy who's won a bunch of state titles, churned through a ton of talent, and has connections. Wouldn't be surprised by that either.

People have to realize that assistants do a lot more than just recruit. I know it's not as glamorous but scouting, game planning and teaching the system just to name a few are all just as important.

There's not a program in America who's staff features three assistants who's specialties are all recruiting.

People have to realize that assistants do a lot more than just recruit. I know it's not as glamorous but scouting, game planning and teaching the system just to name a few are all just as important.

There's not a program in America who's staff features three assistants who's specialties are all recruiting.

Shane is the head coach of one of the best High School Basketball teams in the country. I am positive the guy can do some coaching. Yes, he has top talent there, but they are still high school kids. Getting them to play together requires some good coaching to perform at the national level like they do.

Posted this in another thread:

So, assistant thoughts? NG has reported Walker has one of the 3 spots. Here's Underwood's OSU staff:

Michael Boyton- With Underwood the last 5 years dating back to South Carolina. Imagine he's very likely to be at Illinois.

Lamont Evans- With Underwood 1 year at OSU and also a fellow assistant coach at KSU and South Carolina. Seems like an ace recruiter. I'd say he's likely to stay but doesn't have Illinois ties.

Danny Henderson- With Underwood 1 year at OSU. Seems very tied into the Texas High school scene. Won 4 Texas state championships and was national HS coach of the year. That's big for OSU, but not strategic here. Probably the odd man out? Probably a good hire for whoever the next OSU coach is.

Henderson is not linked to the Smart recruitment since he's only been with Underwood one year. He's one of the best HS coaches ever but his ties to Texas. Don't see him as a fit.

I'm assuming JWalker is a lock as an assistant coach. Whitman wouldn't have coaching today's game if he thought he was off to Missouri under Martin.

Posted this in another thread:

Henderson is not linked to the Smart recruitment since he's only been with Underwood one year. He's one of the best HS coaches ever but his ties to Texas. Don't see him as a fit.

I would be ok if we recruited some players from Texas. The entire staff does not need to have Chicago connections.

If BU thinks he's a valuable coach, I hope he brings him. I want the best staff possible.

I would be ok if we recruited some players from Texas. The entire staff does not need to have Chicago connections.

If BU thinks he's a valuable coach, I hope he brings him. I want the best staff possible.

As Fivestar has said before, on average there are just as many high major kids coming out of TX as IL, so if one coach is tuned in to the TX HS scene that's not a bad thing.

Ha. I really only knew his older brother, and that was like 20 years ago (they went to the local Catholic high school and I did not), but I'll accept the title! :thumb:

One thing I can tell you about the whole Heirman family is that they are rabid Notre Dame fans. Montana Heirman is the brother, named after Joe.