Illini Coaching Staff

Deleted member 336259

D
I am never right but Walker is gone. He has made up his mind that this is personal and will not be back at Illinois next year. I get it that he is in the toughest of all positions by having allegiance to Groce and not wanting to fluff himself up to the Dustin and Paris by not being relieved that he still has a job but c'mon. Listening to all of his interviews, pre & post game since Groce was canned, he has just been giving all praise to JG. He has taken no credit for getting these guys focused to play, no change in schemes....."it is what John did and we are just doing it better" (probably not an exact quote but close enough).....really..... So easy to do everything that JG has been doing and simply say something to the effect of....we are just trying to keep these guys focused on the next game, we will take what the defense gives us and try to capitalize on the defensive end or whatever BS things you want to say but he doesn't. I am probably wrong but that is how I have seen it.

IlliniMed

Lillington, N.C.
I am never right but Walker is gone. He has made up his mind that this is personal and will not be back at Illinois next year. I get it that he is in the toughest of all positions by having allegiance to Groce and not wanting to fluff himself up to the Dustin and Paris by not being relieved that he still has a job but c'mon. Listening to all of his interviews, pre & post game since Groce was canned, he has just been giving all praise to JG. He has taken no credit for getting these guys focused to play, no change in schemes....."it is what John did and we are just doing it better" (probably not an exact quote but close enough).....really..... So easy to do everything that JG has been doing and simply say something to the effect of....we are just trying to keep these guys focused on the next game, we will take what the defense gives us and try to capitalize on the defensive end or whatever BS things you want to say but he doesn't. I am probably wrong but that is how I have seen it.

lol

I'm definitely nervous, we will have to pay him a decent chunk more than the next guy I think, which I hope we do.

ILLINIShox24

Orange Krush '04 & '05
As MadSeason mentioned, I think it's getting awkward simply because Underwood and Walker don't want to upstage the two other assistants that are clearly gone once our NIT run ends. It's easy for either of those guys to take any comments the wrong way at this point, so keep it to a minimum and settle up when it's over.

I don't think Walker is 100% back, but I bet it's closer than we think. Let Ford and Parham exit the building first.

MrOizo

Chicago
As MadSeason mentioned, I think it's getting awkward simply because Underwood and Walker don't want to upstage the two other assistants that are clearly gone once our NIT run ends. It's easy for either of those guys to take any comments the wrong way at this point, so keep it to a minimum and settle up when it's over.

I don't think Walker is 100% back, but I bet it's closer than we think. Let Ford and Parham exit the building first.

There's absolutely no reason for them not to meet and work this out 1 on 1. If that happened or will happen today/tomorrow (which it should), then it's known what's going to happen and is not public.

He stated how much he likes Champaign, that it's the only place his wife and he have known while married, it's the only place his children know. Not factors that can't be overcome, but don't assume that leaving town is easy for him. Put on top of that leaving the players he has coached (now directly) and recruited. It's not easy, it would require some inertia - whether that is a bad interaction with JW, BU, or an insanely positive interaction with Cuonzo. By the way, he'd be switching allegiance to a rival. It's not a neutral move. It's pretty intense in my view to switch from Illinois to Missouri.

Any reason to expect that he has had a very negative or positive experience? If not, isn't it most likely that he'll stay?

Yep.

And the flip side is those other two assistants, who are already going to receive good recommendations from JW will only enhance their professional reputations by how they handle the transition period. JW is a stand up guy and he will assist where he can.

whovous

Washington, DC
There's absolutely no reason for them not to meet and work this out 1 on 1. If that happened or will happen today/tomorrow (which it should), then it's known what's going to happen and is not public.

He stated how much he likes Champaign, that it's the only place his wife and he have known while married, it's the only place his children know. Not factors that can't be overcome, but don't assume that leaving town is easy for him. Put on top of that leaving the players he has coached (now directly) and recruited. It's not easy, it would require some inertia - whether that is a bad interaction with JW, BU, or an insanely positive interaction with Cuonzo. By the way, he'd be switching allegiance to a rival. It's not a neutral move. It's pretty intense in my view to switch from Illinois to Missouri.

Any reason to expect that he has had a very negative or positive experience? If not, isn't it most likely that he'll stay?

Well, he did play for St Louis...

Deleted member 2438

D
if we retain Walker, I think it will be for another year or two at the most. If all goes well and the team comes together next year he will get a large part of the credit and his name will come up for many positions if his desire is to move on. A move at this time would probably move him back a bit in his career path (especially a move to MO).He will make his decision and then everyone involved can move on. Walker is a realist and knows that the change was made for good reason. I think he and his family will be happy and ahead of the game to stay with the ILLINI! :D

MrOizo

Chicago
Well, he did play for St Louis...
Yes agreed, I could certainly see Cuonzo making the connection as fellow STL guys. But neither Missouri or Illinois is in STL. Missouri is closer but we both claim it as territory to recruit.

I will say this - if we lose Walker to STL, do we get zero recruits from there between Missouri and SLU?

Walker has stated that C/U is his home and that matters. OTOH, who knows how he feels about working under Underwood. I would think he could learn some new things, ultimately making himself a more valuable commodity as a head coaching prospect. He seems like someone you can take at his word. So, when he said he wanted to stay, I believed him.

Yes agreed, I could certainly see Cuonzo making the connection as fellow STL guys. But neither Missouri or Illinois is in STL. Missouri is closer but we both claim it as territory to recruit.

I will say this - if we lose Walker to STL, do we get zero recruits from there between Missouri and SLU?

Zero top recruits? Yes.

The only thing about the Underwood hire that really worries me is recruiting. And if he doesn't have someone tied into the Illinois and Midwest area, going against Martin and Ford will be almost impossible.

Last edited:

MrOizo

Chicago

As a counterpoint, why would Walker be upset? JW, by all accounts, was so friendly with Groce that we all were concerned he wouldn't fire him. Groce was kept last year, when someone might have thought it was too early. I'm sure he wants to join a new winner, he just needs to decide if that is Cuonzo, Underwood, or another. Clearly, we chose BU over CM.

I'm also sure that Groce, Ford, and Parham are encouraging him to stick here. They like and trust JW in my opinion, and that could now pay off.

MainelyIllini

uh, Maine
It's a very awkward spot for Walker. It's not just that he was close to Groce, but Ford and Parham are sitting on the bench next to him and are likely gone. Not to mention all of the families are close. IMO Walker is handling this the right way - very humbly and with all credit to Groce - they are still players he recruited and from what we've seen all the same systems

Agreed. These are people's lives we are talking about. There is no easy way around this. Granted these people have chosen a profession where this is a very real risk. My brother in law was an assistant coach at a low major Div. 1 school and got let go when the head coach was fired. That was not an easy transition for him and his family. But that was a swift decision.

Please pardon the comparison, but this is like watching Ford and Parham enduring a long drawn out terminal illness. Typical coaching transitions do not go like this. I think that JWalk is handling this as best as he can given the situation. That goes for Ford and Parham as well.

Let's take a breath here.

I agree we don't know what will happen but we should get some clarity in the next few days especially if we lose on Wednesday night. I'm sure Walker will have a decision shortly after but if he can get a sizeable raise and be BU's main recruiter why not stay since he already has his family set up in C-U.

UofIChE06

Pittsburgh
At the end of the day Walker will do what is best for his career. He isn't going to put himself in a less than optimal position because of his ties to Groce, Ford, or Parham. Does anyone really think being on the staff of Martin at Mizzou or Ford's at SLU better positions Walker for a HC gig? That makes no sense. If the HC job at SLU was open I would be more concerned. He isn't going to take a step backwards in his career. The threat for Walker is likely somewhere like UL or IU that wants to be involved in the StL recruiting scene and will bring him closer to being a HC.

While there will be some sensitivity for the departing assistants, that will not be the primary consideration. The primary consideration is the future of Illini basketball. Waiting until NIT is over may seriously jeopardize the recruiting class. It is not that Whitman wanted to be insensitive to Groce and not let him coach at NIT, but he felt it was better for the program to move quickly before NIT. Same should hold true for assistants.

I'd expect some announcements before NIT is over, especially if our run continues past Wednesday.

Zero top recruits? Yes.

The only thing about the Underwood hire that really worries me is recruiting. And if he doesn't have someone tied into the Illinois and Midwest area, going against Martin and Ford will be almost impossible.

Ford and Martin are going to have to win for that to be a long term problem.

FeelTheLovie

Louisville, KY
Walker didn't sound like he wanted out of CU in his interviews this week. Relax. He's coaching the same team we should be supporting instead of speculating his future.

While there will be some sensitivity for the departing assistants, that will not be the primary consideration. The primary consideration is the future of Illini basketball. Waiting until NIT is over may seriously jeopardize the recruiting class. It is not that Whitman wanted to be insensitive to Groce and not let him coach at NIT, but he felt it was better for the program to move quickly before NIT. Same should hold true for assistants.

I'd expect some announcements before NIT is over, especially if our run continues past Wednesday.

You got that right. Underwood is not purposely going to be a dick. But you better bet he's laser-focused on hitting the ground running with recruiting. We're not paying him $3M/year to sing Kumbaya with Parham and Ford.

What do you expect him to do? Some of these guys have been here 4+ years under Groce, you want Walker to randomly change how our team players in 2 weeks? I'm not saying you couldn't be right but expecting major changes out of a guy who is coaching in some of the most meaningless games of the season is a bit too much. Of course he's going to praise what Groce did, thats simply coach speak. He's handled this situation exactly how you'd expect a half way decent coach/human being would. You could be right, but drawing conclusions based off of how he's acted is the wrong way to do it.

Oh and if you aren't going to quote someone word for word, don't use quotations, since that's the exact reason they exist (sorry a pet peeve of mine.)

Deleted member 175495

D
What part of the process so far...

makes you believe that JW and BU aren't going to handle this the correct way? I don't know if it will work out like we want it to but I do trust that BU and JW are on the same page and it all will be handled as they think it should be. Have some faith. We aren't the same athletic department as we used to be.