Illini Coaching Staff

#1,331      
He absolutely has to have the last word. It just derails any other conversation.

On this point I rule myself guilty as charged. My apologies if anyone thinks I've tried to shout them down, and know that nothing could be further from the truth. I'm just a sucker for screed-on-screed action. I'm gonna work on decaf posting though, I promise. ;)

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Indiana has filled out its coaching staff. Martin is not one of them.

Neither is Rob Judson. Just sayin'

#1,333      
On this point I rule myself guilty as charged. My apologies if anyone thinks I've tried to shout them down, and know that nothing could be further from the truth. I'm just a sucker for screed-on-screed action. I'm gonna work on decaf posting though, I promise. ;)

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Neither is Rob Judson. Just sayin'

Welcome back to the fun...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,336      

sacraig

The desert

Ha! I, for one, am at least glad you weren't perma-banned (even though I was the one arguing with you at the time).

Last edited:
#1,337      
My take = Illinois is remaining in the doldrums of college basketball (in at least the short term).

Our recruiting is far from over in 2017 and I believe we have an even greater chance to make a splash with the 2018 class. So I think your take is premature, JMO.

#1,338      

Smacko

Lexington, KY
Martin would be a great hire. Dude is an established recruiter. Him and Orlando could really do some damage. Think of the upgrade we would be getting from Ford and Parham to Orlando and Martin....HUGE improvement.

#1,339      
Martin would be a great hire. Dude is an established recruiter. Him and Orlando could really do some damage. Think of the upgrade we would be getting from Ford and Parham to Orlando and Martin....HUGE improvement.

May have to upgrade that assistant's salary pool in order to get Martin.:)

#1,340      
Just speculation on my part, but if it is Martin (and all signs point to him), we may be waiting until Indiana formally and officially announces their assistants. There may be some contractual/compensation reasons with his former employer.

#1,341      
Maybe this has already been pointed out. If so, I apologize. I did not know much about Chuck Martin so I started doing some research. Martin is from Dodge City and graduated High School in 1989. Underwoods first coaching job was at Dodge City Community College in 1988. I would think it is reasonable to think that Martin and Underwood have known each other for close to 30 years.

#1,342      
Maybe this has already been pointed out. If so, I apologize. I did not know much about Chuck Martin so I started doing some research. Martin is from Dodge City and graduated High School in 1989. Underwoods first coaching job was at Dodge City Community College in 1988. I would think it is reasonable to think that Martin and Underwood have known each other for close to 30 years.

Never underestimate the level of your sneakiness^^^^:thumb:

#1,343      
Sorry to get off track, but who is Stephen Gentry, and, more importantly, why does it seem that so many people on here are super excited for him?

#1,346      
Sorry to get off track, but who is Stephen Gentry, and, more importantly, why does it seem that so many people on here are super excited for him?

What I've heard is that he's Underwood's X's and O's guy, a big influence on the system and gameplanning in his career so far. And as "Director of Player Development" he was obviously intimately involved in installing that system that went so well at Oklahoma State.

You'd like a guy like that to be involved on the recruiting side as well, or more specifically the talent evaluation and scouting as someone who really understands what the system needs, but a non-assistant staffer can have an informal role that way.

With Boynton and Evans at OSU, Gentry is an absolute must-have. You give him the 3rd assistant spot if that's what it takes.

#1,347      

Kramer116

Chicago
What I've heard is that he's Underwood's X's and O's guy, a big influence on the system and gameplanning in his career so far. And as "Director of Player Development" he was obviously intimately involved in installing that system that went so well at Oklahoma State.

You'd like a guy like that to be involved on the recruiting side as well, or more specifically the talent evaluation and scouting as someone who really understands what the system needs, but a non-assistant staffer can have an informal role that way.

With Boynton and Evans at OSU, Gentry is an absolute must-have. You give him the 3rd assistant spot if that's what it takes.

No way as 3rd assistant.

He will be part of the support staff.

#1,348      
No way as 3rd assistant.

He will be part of the support staff.

Yeah, no way a guy who went 53-1 in conference with Underwood as a full assistant would ever be qualified for the same job here.

If he's gettable as a support staffer and we can add another talented basketball coach to the assistant ranks, fantastic! But Walker, Antigua and Gentry as your staff is a wildly brighter future for the program than say Walker, Antigua and Chuck Martin with no Gentry.

I know everyone disagrees. I know even Underwood might disagree. But SFA's symphony of basketball ain't coming if Underwood just surrounds himself with a bunch of Calipari-bots.

I will now learn my lesson and make that my final post on the matter for this evening. :tape:

#1,349      

Not a chance. Underwood is the brains behind his system, not Gentry. That third assistant's job is going to someone more deserving and more important to the program long term, IMO.

#1,350      
Not a chance. Underwood is the brains behind his system, not Gentry. That third assistant's job is going to someone more deserving and more important to the program long term, IMO.

I do not know about not a chance, but I hope not.

We are not going to outsmart Izzo, Beilein, and other B1G programs with the X's and O's wizardry of our 3rd assistant. We need talent, and need it fast IMO.