Illini Coaching Staff

#1,351      

Kramer116

Chicago
Yeah, no way a guy who went 53-1 in conference with Underwood as a full assistant would ever be qualified for the same job here.

If he's gettable as a support staffer and we can add another talented basketball coach to the assistant ranks, fantastic! But Walker, Antigua and Gentry as your staff is a wildly brighter future for the program than say Walker, Antigua and Chuck Martin with no Gentry.

I know everyone disagrees. I know even Underwood might disagree. But SFA's symphony of basketball ain't coming if Underwood just surrounds himself with a bunch of Calipari-bots.

I will now learn my lesson and make that my final post on the matter for this evening. :tape:

You're entitled to your opinion but I'll respectfully disagree.

You bring in assistants who are the best combo of recruiters and coaches.

Say what you want about Antigua and Martin but they are both top recruiters and have been D1 head coaches.

I just get confused by your stances sometimes but hell thats why we are on a message board.

It doesn't even matter because Gentry will be here in a support staff role anyways so pointless to argue about it imo.

#1,352      
Yeah, no way a guy who went 53-1 in conference with Underwood as a full assistant would ever be qualified for the same job here.

If he's gettable as a support staffer and we can add another talented basketball coach to the assistant ranks, fantastic! But Walker, Antigua and Gentry as your staff is a wildly brighter future for the program than say Walker, Antigua and Chuck Martin with no Gentry.

I know everyone disagrees. I know even Underwood might disagree. But SFA's symphony of basketball ain't coming if Underwood just surrounds himself with a bunch of Calipari-bots.

I will now learn my lesson and make that my final post on the matter for this evening. :tape:

This is probably just a different way of saying Walker is clogging up the pipeline.

#1,353      

Why wasn't he a full assistant at OSU instead of a Texas high school coach? I'm guessing that BU wants Antigua, Walker, Martin and Gentry around him.

#1,354      
Just speculation on my part, but if it is Martin (and all signs point to him), we may be waiting until Indiana formally and officially announces their assistants. There may be some contractual/compensation reasons with his former employer.

There is another reason that will be obvious in a few days.

#1,355      
Why wasn't he a full assistant at OSU instead of a Texas high school coach? I'm guessing that BU wants Antigua, Walker, Martin and Gentry around him.

That has always been my position on this. If we trust BU, which I think we should, we should be comfortable that he believes he can run his system with the coaches he chooses. All 3 (if Martin is guy) are seasoned coaches who have coached at the highest levels. It's an extremely exciting group in my estimation.

#1,357      
Why wasn't he a full assistant at OSU instead of a Texas high school coach?

Probably because Underwood knows he needs players, he had a lot of his SFA staff around him, and Gentry was young and didn't have a ton of leverage and would take the job.

Having been the Director of Player Development at a major conference school which was wildly successful turning Travis Ford's talented but garbageball-trained leftovers into the #1 offense in the nation, his leverage is different now.

Why have Joey Biggs and Patrick Schulte been announced and Gentry hasn't? It ain't rocket science, Gentry is looking around for an opportunity for a full assistant gig that would be a better springboard for his future.

It sounds like that search has not borne fruit for him. Though you'll forgive me for not celebrating yet when Evans was also a fait accompli pencil-in for the staff until about 12 hours before he wasn't.

#1,358      
Underwood is a smart, smart guy........

Why hasn't Martin been announced as the 3rd assistant?? Because 4/10-4/13 is a dead period.....no recruiting. BUT.....if he hasn't been hired, he can be making calls/recruiting for Illinois. Guarantee he is recruiting right now. Smart to use this gray area.

#1,359      
As a matter of fact......

Why hasn't Martin been announced as the 3rd assistant?? Because 4/10-4/13 is a dead period.....no recruiting. BUT.....if he hasn't been hired, he can be making calls/recruiting for Illinois. Guarantee he is recruiting right now. Smart to use this gray area.

...probably also the reason Gentry hasn't been announced in his support role. 2 guys able to recruit during a dead period because they aren't employees of Illinois yet.

#1,360      

Deleted member 8213

D
Probably because Underwood knows he needs players, he had a lot of his SFA staff around him, and Gentry was young and didn't have a ton of leverage and would take the job.

Having been the Director of Player Development at a major conference school which was wildly successful turning Travis Ford's talented but garbageball-trained leftovers into the #1 offense in the nation, his leverage is different now.

Why have Joey Biggs and Patrick Schulte been announced and Gentry hasn't? It ain't rocket science, Gentry is looking around for an opportunity for a full assistant gig that would be a better springboard for his future.

It sounds like that search has not borne fruit for him. Though you'll forgive me for not celebrating yet when Evans was also a fait accompli pencil-in for the staff until about 12 hours before he wasn't.

I thought someone posted a picture with his name on the door at Ubben... seems pretty solid.

#1,362      

icengineer

Southern Illinois

...probably also the reason Gentry hasn't been announced in his support role. 2 guys able to recruit during a dead period because they aren't employees of Illinois yet.

Standing O for BU if this is what is truly happening!!:hailtotheorange::clappy:

I'm loving the way these guys are operating!

I thought someone posted a picture with his name (Gentry) on the door at Ubben... seems pretty solid.

Didn't that get taken down immediately after posting? I clicked on the link a few minutes after it was posted but there was no image. Now we may know why.

#1,363      

If this is how it works it's brilliant.

#1,365      

The Galloping Ghost

Washington, DC

I want to live in a world where our coaching staff is smart enough to have pulled this off. Please let this be the case.

#1,368      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
2 guys able to recruit during a dead period because they aren't employees of Illinois yet.

giphy.gif

#1,370      

Bailey

Los Angeles
It's encouraging to see how much the sentiment has shifted on this board into being a-okay with exploiting the gray areas. If you look at old threads, that was a deal breaker for many.

#1,371      

BLloyd2311

Los Angeles
It's encouraging to see how much the sentiment has shifted on this board into being a-okay with exploiting the gray areas. If you look at old threads, that was a deal breaker for many.

Four straight years with no tourney will do that to ya😳.

#1,372      

Well didn't the NCAA tourney kind of tell us, its ok to cheat and cheat big , cause as long as you win no one seems to care that you cheated