Illini Coaching Staff

#1,526      
We don't.

Very much so.

Holy Geez- Everybody around here squawks about wanting a Chicago guy and getting somebody that is connected there. Chin is. He knows his way around Chicago. No one should be worried about recruiting with him, Walker and Antigua on the staff.

#1,529      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I keep waiting for the other Illini shoe to drop. Sudden change of heart. Ends up back at UK with Cal. Jerrance finally decides he wants to be a head coach at a mid-major, so Bill replaces him with Orlando. Goes fishing, falls off the boat. Goes hunting, gets eaten by Bigfoot. Something bad is going to happen.
Me, too. I feel the same way about Lovie. I guess I'm just not yet ready to accept that we can attract so much competence after so many years of ineptness.

#1,533      
Everybody around here squawks about wanting a Chicago guy and getting somebody that is connected there.

Not only have I never done that, I feel like that's gone out of fashion around here generally.

No one should be worried about recruiting with him, Walker and Antigua on the staff.

If the talent starts flowing in, and Underwood and Gentry can get them playing beautiful basketball, I will joyfully admit the error of my thinking. But we're gonna get that answer real quick.

#1,534      
Everyone's goal in life should be to find someone they love the way S&C loves Lamont Evans.

It's a fine bit. And I do think he's very good. But it is true that he was planned to be a member of the staff and that it was a bizarre, unpredictable and super unlucky turn of events that took him away as well as Boynton as a potential backup plan.

So to those worried that we're due some karmic injustice, fear not.

#1,535      

sacraig

The desert
This is really the gist of it.

Smith (or perhaps Liddell) for Walker, and Ayo for Coleman. If those guys aren't delivered by the time next offseason rolls around, we should be going back to the drawing board on this staff.

If you hire guys to get you players, they have to get you players.

Just like with Walker, I think it is really giving BU and JW zero credit to assume they made these hires solely to land one or two specific recruits.

If that was the goal, why not just go the Cuonzo route and hire a one-and-done's parent?

#1,536      
The cynic in me thinks that these coaches in Chicago see an open position at Illinois as just a pile of money to be had. And when they suggest someone it's just about getting that money up to the Chi.

#1,539      

Deleted member 10676

D
Just like with Walker, I think it is really giving BU and JW zero credit to assume they made these hires solely to land one or two specific recruits.

If that was the goal, why not just go the Cuonzo route and hire a one-and-done's parent?

Agree, you can't hire an assistant and tell him he better get a top 20 player or else. There's going to be a ton of schools in on Ayo. And none of them have an assistant who can guarantee they'll bring Ayo.

#1,543      
The quote doesn't scream, "That's the guy we were hoping for!".

I think there's also the element of winning and producing players that go to the next level. What were you expecting Nick Irvin to say?

We got to crawl before we can walk. Hoping we'll soon be running with the new system and elite recruiters.

#1,545      
How often does it happen that a new Coach doesn't bring any of his assistant from prior positions with him. Hopefully the new staff can gel quickly.

#1,549      

illinifan87

The Windy City
On one hand, it's great to hear this from Irvin. Seems like the Coleman hire will resonate well in Chicago.

On the other hand, this seal of approval garbage is ridiculous.

Now Underwood needs to apply some pressure to these coaches. He gave you all what you wanted so it's about damn time you pony up and start helping out Illinois.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#1,550      

Deleted member 10676

D
On one hand, it's great to hear this from Irvin. Seems like the Coleman hire will resonate well in Chicago.

On the other hand, this seal of approval garbage is ridiculous.

Now Underwood needs to apply some pressure to these coaches. He gave you all what you wanted so it's about damn time you pony up and start helping out Illinois.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Why? What's Illinois done for them that it's time they start helping Illinois?