Illini Coaching Staff

#1,551      
When it comes to the Irvins, I have to admit, this board is a hoot.

You just don't find that combination of perceived ownership of a program while totally dismissing it anywhere else.

Like, Texas high school football coaches are WAY worse about UT football, but they really care and are invested in it every single day just in a meddlesome and demanding way. There are lots of big programs in tight-knit communities like that.

The Irvins treat Illinois Basketball like a toy they're bored with, but won't let anyone else play with either.

Their trolling defeats me. I am successfully trolled.

#1,552      
I think there's also the element of winning and producing players that go to the next level. What were you expecting Nick Irvin to say?

We got to crawl before we can walk. Hoping we'll soon be running with the new system and elite recruiters.

We are still waiting to hear from Nick. ;) I agree with you though. Winning does cure most, if not all.

#1,553      
Some people were suggesting that Gentry be brought on to be the third assistant to help implement the system. I know Chuck Martin would've been viewed as a better hire, but I can't complain. We got a coach that will hopefully do well in Chicago and the tactician on the support staff. I don't see any reason to be anything but ecstatic about the future of the program under the new staff.

#1,559      

illinifan87

The Windy City
@TheMacIrvinFire: @EvanDaniels just reported Ron "Chin" Coleman will be added to Brad Underwood staff! Great Hire!!!! #Illini #BigTen

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#1,562      
Sweet "Chin" Music!

Attachments

• sweet-chin-music-o.gif
    sweet-chin-music-o.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 521
#1,564      

illinifan87

The Windy City
Ok, then why is everybody already acting like the Irvins have peed all over the olive branch? Wait and see what happens at least.
It's completely fair to be ticked at how Chicago, and in particular the Irvin's, operate.

Underwood is playing the game. Doesn't mean I have to like the game. But hey, if it gets us players, so be it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#1,565      
I'm not sure why there is so much negativity about the hire. Bradley is a dumpster fire and he convinced a 4* player in Josh Cunningham to sign with them, in addition to several other Chicagoland players.

I could care less about the Irvins or any of the other supposed power brokers up there. At the same time, I think it's foolish to ignore a city of 10M people 2 hours up the road from us.

We aren't Duke or Kansas or Kentucky, so we aren't going to waltz in and get the Jabari Parkers or Anthony Davis no matter who we hire. we also aren't going to get these types of players from outside Chicago. Seems to me that it's a good idea to have an assistant with the contacts to make sure the 4* players don't keep going out of state as well.

#1,569      
The article as a whole seems much more positive than the portion of the quote Piper tweeted from Irvin. This is some nice PR and I hope most of Chicago feels the same way that Mike Irvin does.

Very positive and a very good hire regardless of how some feel. He is tremendously connected and respected in Chicago and now (finally) has a great product (IL) to sell the kids and coaches.

Watch and see what happens. I think we'll be pleased.

#1,570      
Very positive and a very good hire regardless of how some feel. He is tremendously connected and respected in Chicago and now (finally) has a great product (IL) to sell the kids and coaches.

Watch and see what happens. I think we'll be pleased.

This is the attitude to come away with. I think it's going to be super fun to watch these kids over the next couple years. Glad to see the staff positions get filled.

Last edited:
#1,571      

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL
Good article. I love how they have adopted Jimmy Collins as a Chicagoan. I guess playing for the Bulls makes you a lifer in Chi-Town!

#1,572      

illinifan87

The Windy City
From Piper's article:

"I think he is one of the best assistants out here that they could have offered the job to. He definitely knows the landscape of Chicago. He definitely knows the backroads to get to everyone in Chicago. I think that will be a strong Chicago presence," Irvin said.

We all know this is how Chicago operates, but just hearing this straight from Irvin, especially the 'backroads' part, the arrogance.

Kinda like how we all know how hot dogs are made, but seeing it makes it worse.

#1,573      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
The article as a whole seems much more positive than the portion of the quote Piper tweeted from Irvin. This is some nice PR and I hope most of Chicago feels the same way that Mike Irvin does.

Agree, this is pretty positive.

Also - speaking personally - like 60% of my CPL/Irvin shtick is tongue-in-cheek. There's one thing that will smooth over all of this, and it's winning. It's just not as complicated or as smoke-filled-roomy as we make it.

#1,574      
Agree, this is pretty positive.

Also - speaking personally - like 60% of my CPL/Irvin shtick is tongue-in-cheek. There's one thing that will smooth over all of this, and it's winning. It's just not as complicated or as smoke-filled-roomy as we make it.

No it really isn't that complicated. The Irvins want to produce talent that goes to the highest levels. If Illinois is a spot that can provide a reasonable amount of that, I believe the Chin, Chitown and State pride will become much more of a thing.

Lou and Jimmy created a Chitown/Illinois against the country feel, but backed it up with really good teams. If Underwood can come out of the box with an NCAA quality team that plays offense like his previous teams have? Floodgates will open

#1,575      
Lets not be naïve or foolish here Illini fans. This hire is monsterous for the future of the Illini and getting us back to the glory days. You have to have the top talent in the state to win and history shows the one and dones are from Chicago....not Peoria or even Stl. This is now a formable coaching staff this going to do damage on the recruiting trail in the next 3 years. If you want to hang with and beat the big boys you have to be willing to play the games with the politics it takes to get it done. This is the first coach I can remember that knows how to play the games these days. I see that it is ridiculous to have the seal of approval from Champaign. It absolutely necessary to seal the borders and prevent teams from robbing the best state talent from the Illini. THis is first time I have felt like we have a legitimate chance to land AYO now. This was a huge hire! This is exciting bc this is what we needed to man up and talent up. Athletes will be coming to Champaign and this is going to be a top 10 program again within 3-5 years. We have a plan that is being executes perfectly now. OH....and MIZZ.....TILMON.....HE GONE!!! KU bound.