Illini Coaching Staff

#1,576      
I am baffled by some of the negativity on this hire. This is a rock solid hire. Instant credibility and access to top recruits in Chicagoland, elite HS programs, and ultra successful AAU teams. Chin will get loads of Chicago blue chippers on campus and it will ultimately be up to BU to close on the ones that he wants. Chin may not be the desired big name out there but as the 3rd assistant and a tag team partner to Antigua - Holy Crap! This is going to be very interesting to say the least. Great Hire!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,578      
I am baffled by some of the negativity on this hire. This is a rock solid hire. Instant credibility and access to top recruits in Chicagoland, elite HS programs, and ultra successful AAU teams. Chin will get loads of Chicago blue chippers on campus and it will ultimately be up to BU to close on the ones that he wants. Chin may not be the desired big name out there but as the 3rd assistant and a tag team partner to Antigua - Holy Crap! This is going to be very interesting to say the least. Great Hire!!!

Exactly! His job is to build relationships with Chicago area kids and funnel them to check out the program. Underwood and his style of play (plus winning obviously) will close the deal. And the style of play is what every kids wants to play. A complete 180 shift from the previous years.

This is a well architected and thought out plan. A strategic plan we have not seen in sometime. That's why some are having a hard time grasping it.

#1,579      

Ubermensch

BOOM! Feed my ego.
I am baffled by some of the negativity on this hire. This is a rock solid hire. Instant credibility and access to top recruits in Chicagoland, elite HS programs, and ultra successful AAU teams. Paris Parham will get loads of Chicago blue chippers on campus and it will ultimately be up to BU to close on the ones that he wants. Paris Parham may not be the desired big name out there but as the 3rd assistant and a tag team partner to Antigua - Holy Crap! This is going to be very interesting to say the least. Great Hire!!!

As noted elsewhere, we've seen this movie before.

#1,580      

PhillyIllini

Los Angeles
As noted elsewhere, we've seen this movie before.

First of all, Chin and Parham could have completely different demeanors, thus resulting in polar opposite experiences with recruits.

Second, Chin has a background that spans both the CPL and AAU circuit in Chicago. Parham only had the CPL coaching experience, and was there for a shorter time than Chin. Not to mention that Chin is directly connected to the Irvins.

If JW and Coach Brad Underwood had been making shifty decisions and giving reason to doubt I'd be all for some hesitancy, but the fact of the matter is they haven't. Take the negativity and put it on a shelf until they do.

#1,581      
Really happy with this staff.

Those complaining would likely complain if they got stuck with Kate Upton instead of Candace Swanepoel. Or George Clooney instead of Ryan Goesling.

#1,582      

89illinigrad

Chicago
Good article. I love how they have adopted Jimmy Collins as a Chicagoan. I guess playing for the Bulls makes you a lifer in Chi-Town!
He also worked as a probation officer in Chicago from 1977-1983 before taking the UofI asst job.

That is part of the reason he knew his way around Chicago.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

#1,583      

illiniCA

DC Area
Is it safe to say gentry is basically a 4th assistant coach?

#1,585      
Evan Daniels‏ @EvanDaniels
Brad Underwood is hiring UIC's Ron "Chin" Coleman as an assistant coach, per a source. Coleman has very strong recruiting ties in Illinois.

2h
Blake.‏ @_BlakeAaron
Fair to say that Underwood put a heavy emphasis on recruiting for his staff?

Evan Daniels‏ @EvanDaniels
Replying to @_BlakeAaron
Fair to say. Put together a good one
4:19 PM · Apr 12, 2017

#1,587      
I like the staff. Going to be a good recruiting staff. Will be interesting to see what areas they target and who they target. Also like gentry helping with the x and o

#1,588      

MrOizo

Chicago
I'm very happy with the staff all around. No complaints from me. Nicely done.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#1,589      

I'm not complaining about the hire, but there was some talk of a "big name" coming aboard. This doesn't seem like that, so perhaps that is why some people are underwhelmed.

#1,591      
Why? What's Illinois done for them that it's time they start helping Illinois?

Agree. Too funny reading some of these posts about what (now) Chin, the Irvin's and Chicago hoops owe :chief:

This is a great hire to anyone with any knowledge of the Chicago HS/AAU recruiting scene. Reminder - Illinois BB hasn't been relevant in a loooong time. Get out of the 217 every once in a while. Jeez.

:shield:

#1,592      
Love the hires!! Just curious, but does anybody have access to the real amount we paid for the three AC's plus Gentry? Probably wasn't cheap but I wonder if they knocked on the door of $1M per year for the three AC's alone.

#1,593      

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
In that Scout article, Mike Irvin said he's had conversations [plural] with Coach Underwood. Wasn't it like a big deal just yesterday that Underwood had apparently not contacted any Chicago coaches?

Well, which one is it?

#1,597      

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I certainly hope so. Dee was the last big name UI got out of Chicago, if I am remembering right. Nothing would make me happier than Chicago talent looking at UI seriously again.

Dee was from Maywood, so still not Chicago. I almost can't remember the last REALLY big name Chicago recruit we landed it's been so long...

#1,598      

mattcoldagelli

The Transfer Portal
In that Scout article, Mike Irvin said he's had conversations [plural] with Coach Underwood. Wasn't it like a big deal just yesterday that Underwood had apparently not contacted any Chicago coaches?

Well, which one is it?

Could've been while he was at Oklahoma State.

#1,600      
Dee was from Maywood, so still not Chicago. I almost can't remember the last REALLY big name Chicago recruit we landed it's been so long...

Although he didn't turn out, Myke Henry was a four star ranked #39 by Rivals and from the CPL. Pretty big recruit at the time. 2011.