Illini Coaching Staff

#1,701      
I agree. I couldn't help but think, "he may not do it the NCAA way, but as a parent, I know he only has the best interest in the kids."

Now you see why he gets recruits. He is fearless.

Fearless. Does not throw the kids under the bus in public but takes it all on himself. Drives kids driven to make the league to get there. A little on the nuts side, but I think it plays with Alpha Male players. I was impressed...

#1,702      
Fearless. Does not throw the kids under the bus in public but takes it all on himself. Drives kids driven to make the league to get there. A little on the nuts side, but I think it plays with Alpha Male players. I was impressed...

When two of the players (I think Anthony Davis and John Wall) were talking about how no school that was recruiting them at the time besides Calipari had the head coach come in their neighborhood, because of how bad it was, it just showed that he would do what it takes.

The thing with Cal is that he knows EVERYONE, and he knows which people to contact to get to certain players. (i.e. World Wide Wes for D Rose)

If Orlando can take that similar approach and bring it to the Illini, I am all for it. Walk that grey line carefully. Be fearless and bold. You don't win the top recruits by doing it like everyone else.

I never really had an opinion about Cal, but I was definitely impressed as well after watching that last night. In case you guys couldn't tell...

#1,703      
Yeah...I was surprised when DRose said recruiters didn't go to his house or neighborhood except Cal. I guess Weber didn't really go in that neighborhood either. With last night's show, I can see why kids want to play for Cal. Hell, I felt like I wanted to play for Cal. I can't blame the kids at all. Hope Mark Smith wasn't watching

#1,704      
Yeah...I was surprised when DRose said recruiters didn't go to his house or neighborhood except Cal.

What DRose left out was that recruiters also didn't tell him to take the SAT in Detroit except Cal. :D

#1,705      

Deleted member 10676

D
Yeah...I was surprised when DRose said recruiters didn't go to his house or neighborhood except Cal. I guess Weber didn't really go in that neighborhood either. With last night's show, I can see why kids want to play for Cal. Hell, I felt like I wanted to play for Cal. I can't blame the kids at all. Hope Mark Smith wasn't watching

If you know or know of Englewood, you wouldn't be very surprised.

#1,706      
What DRose left out was that recruiters also didn't tell him to take the SAT in Detroit except Cal. :D

lol..I love how they kinda skirted away from that. They made sure to address the fact that the UMass issue was Camby's fault. However, the Memphis DRose issue didn't lay a blame. They just said that the NCAA failed to prove that there were ineligibility issues.

#1,707      
lol..I love how they kinda skirted away from that. They made sure to address the fact that the UMass issue was Camby's fault. However, the Memphis DRose issue didn't lay a blame. They just said that the NCAA failed to prove that there were ineligibility issues.

To be fair, Camby said multiple times that Cal had no idea and that he could have stopped it but he didn't.

With the D Rose situation, well, yeah that one you just hope they don't find out. No matter what school he was going too, he wasn't taking his own SAT, whatever coach that took him would have had to of been ok with that.

#1,708      
I still don't completely buy his "I do what's best for my players, not what's best for me."

The way Cal runs his programs, what's good for his players IS what's good for him. Usually the NCAA system puts those things in conflict.

Cal is no saint, but he looks out for his guys in a way a lot of coaches who get many more plaudits do not.

#1,712      

sacraig

The desert
Honestly, I question how much Cal even has to play in the gray areas to get his players anymore. At this point with the one and done rule, everyone knows these players are not there to get an education. They are there to bide their time until they can be drafted into the NBA. Cal has such a reputation for helping them to just that and has had such a run of success that his job is practically done for him, especially when he can have his former players who are successful talk about how they really love him.

All he should really have to do now is relatively simple: go into their homes, get to know them a bit, talk about how his goal is to get them to the league as fast as possible so they can achieve their true potential, point to his many successes in that regard, and then go make another Final Four. It's a program that nearly recruits itself, and he is going to win more than enough recruiting battles for 5 star players that way to fill a roster, even when some of them ultimately choose other paths.

Honestly, that's just sort of how the game is played these days with the one and done rule. I'd be fine seeing Illinois ultimately reach the point where we are a revolving door for those one and done types.

#1,713      
Honestly, I question how much Cal even has to play in the gray areas to get his players anymore. At this point with the one and done rule, everyone knows these players are not there to get an education. They are there to bide their time until they can be drafted into the NBA. Cal has such a reputation for helping them to just that and has had such a run of success that his job is practically done for him, especially when he can have his former players who are successful talk about how they really love him.

All he should really have to do now is relatively simple: go into their homes, get to know them a bit, talk about how his goal is to get them to the league as fast as possible so they can achieve their true potential, point to his many successes in that regard, and then go make another Final Four. It's a program that nearly recruits itself, and he is going to win more than enough recruiting battles for 5 star players that way to fill a roster, even when some of them ultimately choose other paths.

Honestly, that's just sort of how the game is played these days with the one and done rule. I'd be fine seeing Illinois ultimately reach the point where we are a revolving door for those one and done types.

Agree with this entire post. Just to add that his former players and even guys like Lebron, Drake and other mega stars are always hanging around Lexington meeting the players and UK + Cal is a self recruiting machine.

#1,714      

Tevo

Wilmette, IL

Do they still have rules about players graduating to maintain your scholarship numbers? Or is that rule long gone? Does Kentucky even have Senior Night anymore?

#1,716      

davesworld

Athens
#1,717      
I get the concern, and i can understand where it comes from. Does it matter that those words are coming from Irvin this time? I think it is better in that regard. The comments are so very similar but the speaker has changed

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I don't think it makes much difference. No one really speaks for everyone and there is really no "winning over Chicago." Any hire will be popular with some and not with others. It's a new world compared to the time when Jimmy Collins was the guy that everyone liked and there was a solid Chicago connection. Now there is an internet, texting, expanded AAU and high school travel and more money in the basketball world at stake. There have been huge changes that just make the world a smaller place for kids. We could hire every assistant and a head coach from Chicago and still not be able to pick and choose from Chicago talent. We would still lose talent to Duke and Kansas or Kentucky or Louisville sometimes or even most of the time. Illinois is not walking up to a recruit as the "big boy" in the room. There is no awe for most of the kids at this point- they've been thrown into the fire and treated like celebrities in many cases. They understand that the whole world is available to them and they can choose anywhere. The recruiting game is completely different from the 80's or 90's even. Hiring an assistant that knows Chicago is important practically for the staff and important symbolically in many ways too. But the actual tangible impact on recruits is more limited than some people seem to want to make it. We needed a Chicago guy- we got one. Done.