Illini Football 2016

I graduated in 1970, and the 1969 football season was until that point at least the worst in Illini history. We lost every game, including Northwestern, when Northwestern was the doormat of the conference.

But I went to every game--and I still have my Block I ticket to prove it.

If I lived closer now, I'd do a lot more games. While we were still in state, we found a way to attend a game per year.

This year I wanted to go to Penn State but it didn't work out. Lucky me. But I am going to the basketball game next week, and I'm planning on taking my grandson to the football game at Rutgers next fall. (Shouldn't some travel agency buy a block of tickets together?)

Am I a fan? My PA license plate is "ILLIINI.

But look, there are those who would get rid of sports altogether if they could. The "revenue sports" are what keeps the who interscholastic program going. Anyone hoping to change ice hockey from a club sport to varsity should remember that. And anyone wanting to keep a top notch football/basketball program going needs to realize that.

If the stands are full, that tells the administration that sports are important to students and alumni. Empty stands? It doesn't matter to students and alumni. There's no need to keep it.

And if there's no income coming in, that sends the message that it's not a revenue sport, it's an expense sport. With the financial pressures on the university as a whole, is that the message you want to send to the powers that be?

Add to that, potential recruits watch games on TV, and if the picture shows empty seats, does that encourage them to come to Illinois. No, a potential recruit makes his decision based on more than how many butts are in the bleachers, but if it comes down to the wire and they see a fan base that fills the stands and believes in its team (even if unreasonably), it gives them a reason to believe in the team. And who wants to play in front of empty stands. Would you?

However, students need to get good seats. If the Orange Krush can get 1,200 good seats in the Assembly Hall, can't we get good seats for the students? Put Block I in the main stands again, East Block AND West Block.

And not to beat a dead horse--well, dammit, he's not really completely dead, to quote Miracle Max--but Chief Illiniwek. He doesn't matter to everybody, and if he doesn't matter to you, realize he does make a difference in spirit, and spirit makes a game fun to go to, even if you're losing. Remember, you don't know losing like I know losing. Yeah, Ohio State may have a better football team, but all they have it something with a nut for a head. We had the Chief. Nobody else had the Chief. We knew we were special.:chief:

All that said, we are ILLINI and we're as much of team as the guys on the field are. If you do go to a game, don't leave early. If you don't want the team to give up even when behind, you don't either. Support the team. Support the players. Support the sport.

If I can go to the basketball game at Penn State next week and sit in the middle of the season pass holder section, you can go to a game in the Assembly Hall or Memorial Stadium. :thumb:

Please do stay home. Note there are 105 members of this team that work hard day in and day out. They play for themselves, teammates and their school. I have 2 high school students visiting the campus this weekend who love everything this University has to offer on and off the fields. As stated above boycotting the games and bragging about it does no good for the guys and girls on the field. The Block I seems to be filled regardless of the win/loss climate and you attending games. Winning is fun and some day it will return with or without you. Life is not all about winning. We just moved up to the 8th rated public university in the country! Wilson and others have made some mistakes in the sports program but the only thing this state has left is the ILLINI! I will continue to support and be positive to the program. I enjoyed the atmosphere at every home game last year win or loose. Quit with the negative energy and get over it!

unimaroon

Baja Ontario
Doak1960 The words in the song "We're loyal to you Illinois..", like the last five words of our National Anthem, are not just phrases of convenience for some of us. :shield:

If you are a fan and you want the program to improve you will go to the games rain or shine and support the team with positive energy and noise.

Recruits attend games and get turned off when they see empty seats and losers in the stands booing all day long.

Create positive energy and positive things happen. If you don't know this, then you have some learning to do.

Besides, life is too short to skip a few autumn Saturdays of tail-gating with friends and family and watching some college football, win or lose. You only get so many of these.

I'll be rooting for wins and a successful season and a Cubit extension which he will have earned with 7+ wins. Rooting for any other result is pathetic.

We're gonna have a deep and veteran defensive line next season, and an improved offense. We're gonna be in a lot of games. It's up to us as fans to create a winning atmosphere and cheer for the team to succeed all 4 quarters. Trust me, it matters. Ask any former player.

At this point, win 7+ games/season and I'm happy. Beat an occasional good opponent and compete in most games admirably. That makes going to the games fun.

If you are a fan and you want the program to improve you will go to the games rain or shine and support the team with positive energy and noise.

Recruits attend games and get turned off when they see empty seats and losers in the stands booing all day long.

Create positive energy and positive things happen. If you don't know this, then you have some learning to do.

Besides, life is too short to skip a few autumn Saturdays of tail-gating with friends and family and watching some college football, win or lose. You only get so many of these.

I'll be rooting for wins and a successful season and a Cubit extension which he will have earned with 7+ wins. Rooting for any other result is pathetic.

We're gonna have a deep and veteran defensive line next season, and an improved offense. We're gonna be in a lot of games. It's up to us as fans to create a winning atmosphere and cheer for the team to succeed all 4 quarters. Trust me, it matters. Ask any former player.

At this point, win 7+ games/season and I'm happy. Beat an occasional good opponent and compete in most games admirably. That makes going to the games fun.

Well said. The fans were instrumental in winning the Nebraska game. It goes beyond the players. Think about the band, cheerleaders, dance, ushers, servers. Kids working part time in the concessions. Do it for the family of ILLINI!

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
I ended up renewing (prior to Cubit's firing), but I moved right across the aisle to 107 and a few rows back and I'm saving $180 for my 2 seats. I'll be putting that money I saved towards a donation to the IFund given today's news.

If it is Lovie what are we thinking his first year looks like?

2016 Illini Football Schedule
Sep 03____Murray State
Sep 10____North Carolina
Sep 17____Western Michigan
Sep 24_______Bye Week___
Oct 01____@ Nebraska
Oct 08____Purdue
Oct 15____@ Rutgers
Oct 22____@ Michigan
Oct 29____Minnesota (Homecoming)
Nov 05____Michigan State
Nov 12____@ Wisconsin
Nov 19____Iowa
Nov 26____@ Northwestern

Fillory

4th Floor Grainger
If it is Lovie what are we thinking his first year looks like?

2016 Illini Football Schedule
Sep 03__W__Murray State
Sep 10__L__North Carolina
Sep 17__W__Western Michigan
Sep 24_______Bye Week___
Oct 01_W__@ Nebraska
Oct 08__L__Purdue
Oct 15__W__@ Rutgers
Oct 22_L___@ Michigan
Oct 29__L__Minnesota (Homecoming)
Nov 05__L__Michigan State
Nov 12__L__@ Wisconsin
Nov 19__L__Iowa
Nov 26__W__@ Northwestern

I'm not enthusiastic for a team post coach firing. Hiring the right coach is about the season after next, not this one.

I'm not enthusiastic for a team post coach firing. Hiring the right coach is about the season after next, not this one.

Exactly. Football isn't fixed overnight. We don't have the horses in the barn right now.

Exactly. Football isn't fixed overnight. We don't have the horses in the barn right now.

Understood, but it's not like we were a total failure last season. We finished 5-7 and were somewhat competitive. I don't think it's unrealistic to say this team is bowl eligible under Lovie.

Stevegarbs

Mokena, IL
1f80d5c9f49924892947b8ae56184754.jpg

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
I was thinking this was going to be a 4-8 team next season under Cubit. I could see that being upgraded to 6-6 with Lovie as HC with the right staff. Would be nice to get a surprise bowl game in season 1 and then hopefully making a splash the next season assuming we'd have a pretty stellar recruiting class lined up.

Ransom Stoddard

Ordained Dudeist Priest
Bloomington, IL
I was thinking this was going to be a 4-8 team next season under Cubit. I could see that being upgraded to 6-6 with Lovie as HC with the right staff. Would be nice to get a surprise bowl game in season 1 and then hopefully making a splash the next season assuming we'd have a pretty stellar recruiting class lined up.

I get your line of thinking, but I'm thinking 4-5 wins this year, because we just don't have the personnel yet. 2017 could be 6-7 wins, and then hopefully 2018 is when we see stuff really start to happen once Smith starts getting his guys on the field and has had time to really coach up TB and BC's recruits.

Hopefully we get some meaningful transfers along the way to help.

I thought we were a 4-8 team under Cubit. I think we'll still be a 4-8 team under Smith. The difference will be that we'll have some continuity in the future and that any success this year can be built upon for the years going forward. It's the start of something instead of the sputtering end to something that should have ended two or three years ago.

Anyone remember how much single game tickets were? Wondering if the IFUND family pack is the way to go, even though we would miss several.

Anyone remember how much single game tickets were? Wondering if the IFUND family pack is the way to go, even though we would miss several.

If you only miss a few, I think that the PR impact of the season ticket purchase is the way to go. Realistically, the team won't be much better this year, no matter how good the coaching. But saying to the Athletic Dept and the world at large that the Illinois faithful are excited and engaged again is worth a lot.

I agree. Gotta convince my husband. :) I've got an 11yo who has never been to a game at Memorial Stadium and I had already promised we would do it this year. But with teenagers, realistically, we aren't going to be able to make the drive from IN all the time.

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
Can't speak for all tickets, but I know the season tickets our family get are well worth the price. We can only get to about 5 of the games each year, but it's cheaper to buy the season tickets than it is to buy 5 sets of single game tickets. Plus, it gives me two or three extra games that I can give to friends with kids.

Fillory

4th Floor Grainger
Not to be super gloom and doom, but we can't expect to be super competitive this season. Heck, if we had miraculously hired Nick Saban, we still are limited by our players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fillory

4th Floor Grainger
Yup. Saban went 6-6 in year 1 at Bama. This will take time.

The thing to look for this season is execution both offensively and defensively. That is to say "How many dumb penalties does the team take?" or "How well does the team play down in the fourth?"

Those are things tied to coaching. If the Illini can finish 6-6 next year with better execution, that's essentially the best result we can expect year one.