Illini Football 2017

EfremWinters84

S. Carolina
Jeremy Werner is on the radio right now throwing cold water on the delusional optimism about the OL and QB. Talking about practice today he's saying things like "the quarterbacks are running for their lives" and "quarterbacks are struggling with accuracy." None of this should be a surprise.
More cold water......

The ESPN college football analysts last night said that Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers and Kansas are the four worst teams in the Power 5. (Guess that's not much of an Insider's take.)

2-10 is my guess. I just don't think Crouch can throw an accurate 20-yard post over the middle.

More cold water......

The ESPN college football analysts last night said that Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers and Kansas are the four worst teams in the Power 5. (Guess that's not much of an Insider's take.)

2-10 is my guess. I just don't think Crouch can throw an accurate 20-yard post over the middle.

I think he can do it, IF a running game is established. If it's continually 2nd or 3rd and long, that's going to be trouble. Running game includes swing passes, bubbles to Dudek, screens, etc.

Great Rivals article on our linebackers, also not behind any paywall. I would like to see Phillips step up and beat out Hansen but it seems like Hansen has secured a starting spot and Phillips is competing with Jones :illinois:

https://illinois.rivals.com/news/illini-preview-series-linebackers

Well that was very encouraging. I'm not expecting that much improvement record-wise, but that article speaks to where I am looking for improvement this year -- overall talent.

Eh, journalists. They'd paid to say outrageous things. Clicks and magazine sales... it if they're wrong, who remembers? I saw something of long ago that Lovie is something like the 63rd best coach in college football. In other words, more than half D1 football coaches are better than him. Do you buy that?

Because someone made a list you don't agree with, that means that Werner is saying these things for click bait? That screams logical fallacy to me.

We always tend to overestimate our teams preseason, and he is trying his best to set realistic expectations so the fan base isn't enraged/disappointed in a couple months.

If he was just saying it as a shock statement, I don't think he would have his current pinned tweet on his twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, journalists. They'd paid to say outrageous things. Clicks and magazine sales... it if they're wrong, who remembers? I saw something of long ago that Lovie is something like the 63rd best coach in college football. In other words, more than half D1 football coaches are better than him. Do you buy that?

Until Lovie proves its on the field and in recruiting, 63 is probably a fair ranking. If we are being honest with ourselves, that might even be a little high for now.

Regarding journalists, I wish someone had the time and inclination to track their predictions and records. Throw it back at them when they get all high and mighty.

I see Crouch as O'Toole. Frankly, Lunt was a disappointment. Overall QB play will improve. Reduce the three and outs, sustain drives, finish with a touchdown, a field goal, or a good punt leaving the opposition deep in their territory and I'll be happy.

The won-lost record will be whatever it is. Wouldn't it be nice if Northwestern came to Memorial Field and we were looking for win #6? :)

I see Crouch as O'Toole. Frankly, Lunt was a disappointment. Overall QB play will improve. Reduce the three and outs, sustain drives, finish with a touchdown, a field goal, or a good punt leaving the opposition deep in their territory and I'll be happy.

The won-lost record will be whatever it is. Wouldn't it be nice if Northwestern came to Memorial Field and we were looking for win #6? :)

I would argue O'Toole was a better QB for us, though maybe thats what you were saying.

He definitely had a better B1G career than Lunt. Once we went against better Dline's Lunt didnt have forever in the pocket to make a play. Crouch will hopefully extend plays enough to make up for poor passing.

breadman

Herndon, VA
More cold water......

As far as Crouch improving, I am expecting the coaching staff to help improve his passing. Then again, they didn't exactly improve Lunt's running.

That other ESPN estimate is bulletin board material. Put it on the board.....YESSSS!

Deleted member 29907

D
More cold water......

Gee, with fans like this who needs other teams' fans to criticize us...

He did have a completion rate of 56% last year. AND, you do realize we had zero receivers who could separate last year. I vote we get behind him and give him a chance.

That, and the fact that with the cuts at ESPN, i am guessing there is ZERO intelligence in their research and reporting. It was already suspect before then.

Deleted member 29907

D
I would argue O'Toole was a better QB for us, though maybe thats what you were saying.

He definitely had a better B1G career than Lunt. Once we went against better Dline's Lunt didnt have forever in the pocket to make a play. Crouch will hopefully extend plays enough to make up for poor passing.

O'Toole was better and Crouch is a similar mold. O'Toole at least made the Defense have to think and not just pin their ears back - rush at Lunt, and let him fall at first touch.

Deleted member 29907

D
Until Lovie proves its on the field and in recruiting, 63 is probably a fair ranking. If we are being honest with ourselves, that might even be a little high for now.

Regarding journalists, I wish someone had the time and inclination to track their predictions and records. Throw it back at them when they get all high and mighty.

Are you judging Lovie or the team? My take is its too early to tell - so the ranking really is not fair with one year's body of work. I am not sure how anyone could be judged in that regard given the team he inherited and then the QB injuries. Most college teams (past the top elite 10 or so) could not afford to lose a starting QB and fair very well, let alone have to get down to third string.

Agree. I'm sure Crouch main objective will be 1) eliminate turnover or minimize 2) take what defense gives you, and control ball , with run, short pass. Don't see Lovie asking him to carry the load, let the defense work, but when you get ball, less 3 and outs, and position football.
The offense won't have to score a lot, just don't leave defense on feild all day.:illinois:

Last edited:
Agree. I'm sure Crouch main objective will be 1) eliminate turnover or minimize 2) take what defense gives you, and control ball , with run, short pass. Don't see Lovie asking him to carry the load, let the defense work, but when you get ball, less 3 and outs, and position football.
The offense won't have to score a lot, just don't leave defense on feild all day.:illinois:

I totally agree with the objectives you listed with Crouch running the show. Control the ball with the run and short passing game.

Looking at it through that lens, I don't think the success of the offense hinges so much on Crouch's performance, but the OL's ability to provide the consistent run blocking that is needed for a ball control offense. Unless Crouch comes out of nowhere and shocks us all, I'll be looking for improvement in the run blocking this year and in the future as the key to taking the next step in the offense.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Gee, with fans like this who needs other teams' fans to criticize us...

He did have a completion rate of 56% last year. AND, you do realize we had zero receivers who could separate last year. I vote we get behind him and give him a chance.

That, and the fact that with the cuts at ESPN, i am guessing there is ZERO intelligence in their research and reporting. It was already suspect before then.

Would CBSSports be preferred? They have us as the 3rd worst P5 team this season. Link

If Lovie pulls a rabbit out of his hat and somehow, someway finds us a surprisingly positive season, then this program and Lovie are headed in a very positive direction...

I continue to worry that the self-fulfilling prophesy of the program will prevent this program from moving forward, even with Lovie at the helm (who was given big props, might I add, being called the 63rd best coach, while running a team projected on the bubble of top 100).

riffraff

Peoria
I totally agree with the objectives you listed with Crouch running the show. Control the ball with the run and short passing game.

Looking at it through that lens, I don't think the success of the offense hinges so much on Crouch's performance, but the OL's ability to provide the consistent run blocking that is needed for a ball control offense. Unless Crouch comes out of nowhere and shocks us all, I'll be looking for improvement in the run blocking this year and in the future as the key to taking the next step in the offense.
Isn't that the recipe Lovie used at QB to reach the Super Bowl?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Isn't that the recipe Lovie used at QB to reach the Super Bowl?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yep. Keep in mind everyone that Lovie won a lot of games with Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman as his QBs. Let that sink in for a minute. We are going to be fine.

Rankings be damned. It’s all based on the records of the previous seasons anyways. The whole college football world knows and respects Lovie, but for him to be considered in the top half of coaches, he has to show results on some kind of turnaround. His first chance for that is this fall. Looking at the team from a personnel perspective, Lovie and staff would have to be in the nation’s top 10 to get us to 6 wins this year. I’m thinking more like 3, maybe 4-5 wins. So our record won’t improve much. I’m purely looking for better execution this year. I know a lot of that is intangible, but here is what I am looking from the 2016 squad:

75 penalties for 639 yards (execute)
TOP: 26:07 vs. 33:53 (control the game)
258 first downs allowed (control the game)
4,861 yards given up (no big plays)
Punt return average – 4.39 yds (so frustrating)

For 2017, I’ll suffer and get frustrated along with everyone else with each game this year. But after the season I’ll compare those numbers. If we’re better, that means our coaches are doing something good, and we can actually have something to say to these folks putting out rankings next offseason.

Sawicky

Chicago, IL
Rankings be damned. It’s all based on the records of the previous seasons anyways. The whole college football world knows and respects Lovie, but for him to be considered in the top half of coaches, he has to show results on some kind of turnaround. His first chance for that is this fall. Looking at the team from a personnel perspective, Lovie and staff would have to be in the nation’s top 10 to get us to 6 wins this year. I’m thinking more like 3, maybe 4-5 wins. So our record won’t improve much. I’m purely looking for better execution this year. I know a lot of that is intangible, but here is what I am looking from the 2016 squad:

75 penalties for 639 yards (execute)
TOP: 26:07 vs. 33:53 (control the game)
258 first downs allowed (control the game)
4,861 yards given up (no big plays)
Punt return average – 4.39 yds (so frustrating)

For 2017, I’ll suffer and get frustrated along with everyone else with each game this year. But after the season I’ll compare those numbers. If we’re better, that means our coaches are doing something good, and we can actually have something to say to these folks putting out rankings next offseason.

The penalties and punt return average numbers from last year are really frustrating. Those stats lead to bad field position, which then usually results in more 3 and outs.

Deleted member 29907

D
Would CBSSports be preferred? They have us as the 3rd worst P5 team this season. Link

If Lovie pulls a rabbit out of his hat and somehow, someway finds us a surprisingly positive season, then this program and Lovie are headed in a very positive direction...

I continue to worry that the self-fulfilling prophesy of the program will prevent this program from moving forward, even with Lovie at the helm (who was given big props, might I add, being called the 63rd best coach, while running a team projected on the bubble of top 100).

Nope, CBSSports would not be any better - my faith in any pre-season rankings is nil outside the very top few. And even that is suspect. When I see teams ranked 5 fall out of the top 25 within two weeks ... its all about generating discussion and hype. Do you think CBSSports reporters etc. went to all teams and thoroughly took a deep dive?

Are you judging Lovie or the team? My take is its too early to tell - so the ranking really is not fair with one year's body of work. I am not sure how anyone could be judged in that regard given the team he inherited and then the QB injuries. Most college teams (past the top elite 10 or so) could not afford to lose a starting QB and fair very well, let alone have to get down to third string.

My point is the bolded as well. Too early to tell with this team, he has no prior COLLEGE head coaching experience, so it is all guess work and of course speculation. Hopefully NFL experience is a plus, but only time will tell.

Perhaps a better grade would be incomplete.

I am not expecting miracles given what he inherited, but I cannot offer a complete ranking for hm as a coach yet.

Serious Late

Peoria via Denver via Ann Arbor via Albuquerque vi
Nope, CBSSports would not be any better - my faith in any pre-season rankings is nil outside the very top few. And even that is suspect. When I see teams ranked 5 fall out of the top 25 within two weeks ... its all about generating discussion and hype. Do you think CBSSports reporters etc. went to all teams and thoroughly took a deep dive?

I think they are correct that Illinois football is going to be very bad. I think every single year, in both basketball and football, people try as hard as they can to find a means to discredit the national tone around our programs. I think almost every year the national tone around our programs is closer to reality than our homer views at the start of practices.

I hope beyond hope that Lovie can somehow miraculously lead us to a bowl game, but I expect losing double digit games more of a reality than going .500. Just because one tries to best understand what is most probable for the season ahead and realizes that in all likelihood this team is going to be one of the worst teams in P5 football, does not make that person a bad fan or anti-Illini. Illinois football is bad right now. There are glimmers of hope, but there is a long road ahead. I just hope that a bad season this year doesn't kill any momentum Lovie has right now with the program.

To take it a step further, is there a single position group that we can say for certain is above average in the B1G? Any group that an unbiased 3rd party would say for certain Illinois has an edge at relative to the average B1G team? I honestly don't know, but if the answer is "no" or "maaaaaaaybe this group", then that would in and of itself point to the incredible odds Illinois has to overcome this season.

james81

North Carolina
It's reasonable to assume Crouch will show overall improvement this year, including better judgment and a higher completion percentage (over 60). That's not to say that fan's won't be slapping their foreheads at least once every series, wondering what's going on. Hopefully, we can keep it to under 10 forehead slaps per game.