Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

BZuppke

Plainfield
Stupid. He’s not on JW’s hotseat and his is the only opinion that counts.

Deleted member 654622

D

raw

That is the only opinion that counts, having said that:

Whitman and Smith have not discussed a contract extension. No reason to. Whitman wants Smith in charge long into the future.

"I really believe in what we're doing and excited to see our second recruiting class take the field this fall," he said. "If they are anything like the first one was, I think there's a lot to be excited about."

Pointing up

Smith went 3-9 and 2-10 his first two seasons. Not the numbers Whitman or the coach had in mind.

Whitman expects to see progress on the left side of the column.

"It doesn't mean we're going to go out and win 10 or 11 games, but to take a significant step forward in our competitiveness, to see the program start to show signs of what we think the future can look like is expected, and I think will happen," Whitman said.

http://www.news-gazette.com/bob-asmussen/2018-06-07/asmussen-future-illini-football-excites-whitman.html

The bolded is rhetoric that is new. The honeymoon doesn't last forever.

Lovie will not be fired after this season due to poor performance on the field no matter what, and so in that sense it's silly to point to him as the "hot seat" coach. But where I thought it was unimaginable after 2019 too, I'm no longer so sure.

Regardless, I am confident that performances will improve markedly going forward. The other side of Kirby on the other hand... :tsk:

That is, until JW is on the hot seat. He is nearly three years into his tenure. Mike Thomas was fired after four.

That is, until JW is on the hot seat. He is nearly three years into his tenure. Mike Thomas was fired after four.

I would participate in the riot outside Bielfeldt if JW got fired.

(I guess rioting at Bielfeldt would be stupid. The Union? The Henry Admin Building? Have pitchfork, will travel)

Last edited:
Worst case scenario that plays out this year (excluding a circumstance that contains something along the lines of a scandal) is probably not winning a game and losing both Beason and Williams. I still dont think Lovie's fired. I wont speculate how much of a leash he has at that point, but would be very short.

Essentially what happens in 2018 is inconsequential wrt Lovie's job. 2019 will be slightly dependent on how this season ends, but I think as long as Lovie ends with 5 wins in 19 he's safe. 2020 needs to be a bowl year if we miss in 2019.

Oh and don't get me started about cyborg Lovie in 2039.

1.Worst case scenario that plays out this year (excluding a circumstance that contains something along the lines of a scandal) is probably not winning a game and losing both Beason and Williams. I still dont think Lovie's fired.

2. Essentially what happens in 2018 is inconsequential wrt Lovie's job.

2 does not necessarily follow from 1, IMO.

Deleted member 654622

D
Had grade issues out of HS. Lets hope he has that on lock down.

APS iMBA

Urbana, IL

Let us not forget, if not for the Beckman scandal, we might still have Mike Thomas. :tsk:

breadman

Herndon, VA
Got my Athlon college preview...and under coaches on the hot seat in the big ten, the entire panel voted for the same guy. Lovie Smith. Ugh....:tsk:

OK, so I have not seen the Athlon article, so I do not know what they are basing the "Lovie on the hot seat" opinion on, but I am here to tell you that Athlon is dead wrong. Lovie is not going anywhere until he wins the B1G Championship. JW has his back to infinity. And this is just my opinion based on what I have observed from watching last season's games from far away in TV land. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just watched Dominic Stampley vid. Keeping in mind every highlight video makes a kid look great & the competition may be average, but it doesn't look like he'll be a slouch.

I also like a player who seems to have something to prove. I look forward to seeing how he does.

Peoria Illini

Peoria, IL

Whitman's 2 year anniversary was mid Feb, 2018. He's not even halfway through year 3.

With the plans and money he is raising, I think he's got a few more years to prove himself.

With the plans and money he is raising, I think he's got a few more years to prove himself.

Whitman is an enormous asset to this program and should be retained even if, maybe especially if, he ends up having to replace both of his high-profile hires.

An AD that has shown the ability to be a positive public face for the DIA, work well with the campus administration, get shovels in the ground on major building projects, and navigate high-profile coaching searches quickly and competently is worth his weight in gold.

Well, worth Mike Thomas' weight in gold anyway, Whitman is a pretty big dude ;)

Deleted member 11196

D

Just curious... If we are going to fire coaches and even AD's every 3 years, why bother having these athletic programs at all ? ? ? :tsk:

Deleted member 11196

D
OK, so I have not seen the Athlon article, so I do not know what they are basing the "Lovie on the hot seat" opinion on, but I am here to tell you that Athlon is dead wrong. Lovie is not going anywhere until he wins the B1G Championship. JW has his back to infinity. And this is just my opinion based on what I have observed from watching last season's games from far away in TV land. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've seen these 'hot seat' opinions also.... I even got into a back-and-forth with one of the writers via email. They're basically basing it on supposed 'irate illini fans' ... I asked how many, and of course they won't reveal sources. So my guess is that there are some loud and outspoken 'fans' who are incensed at the fact that we aren't winning, winning, winning, and doing it RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW, RIGHT NOW !....
If this is the 'true' attitude' of the majority of Illini fans, then I think we're in trouble.... They won't be happy until we start firing coaches if they lose a single game.... :tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk:

I'm getting too old for this.... :eek:

Deleted member 654622

D
It astonishing me what gets legs on this message board. Everyone knows JW, nor Lovie is going anywhere. It's just clogging up the board. We might as well be talking about the athletic ability of Larry Bird on the football field...

Illiniaaron

Geneseo, IL
Whitman is such a better spokesman and face of the Athletic Department than Thomas was that its silly to even talk about. And my fear about Smith is that if he can't get the football program turned around, who in the hell will?

Status
Not open for further replies.