Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 players- many of which are starters- will be suspended for the first couple of games. Dorsey, Hobbs ... etc. Hopefully we can still hold onto those first couple.

Deleted member 654622

D
8 players- many of which are starters- will be suspended for the first couple of games. Dorsey, Hobbs ... etc. Hopefully we can still hold onto those first couple.

It may totally suck but they have to set the precedent right now for their culture. Let all the young players they have now, hope to get in the future, AND THEIR PARENTS know inappropriate behavior is not gonna fly here

Do we know if this just a carry over from the Spring suspensions or is this from a separate issue?

Not sure I buy this. The players on the two- and three- deep will have more potential, but that doesn't mean they're ready.

Having a 3-deep is a step forward from last year.

I'm not saying "our depth is an asset", I'm saying "our depth is less of a debit than last year".

Dan

Admin
Milan had a knee brace on today and sat out of practice. Lovie was quoted saying there are no "major" injuries right now. Not sure what that means but hopefully Milan is okay for week 1.

If Bush is able to secure starting job it will be huge for long term of this rebuild

If Bush is able to secure the starting QB job becasue he is actually good and deserves it...maybe. If it is becasue the job fell into his lap becasue he is best of the evils the misery will continue.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
I am not super hung up on a # of wins this year. Showing some progress and competing are much more important as an indicator of where this program is going under Lovie.

The discouraging thing about last year was that the team seemingly quit in some games - that season finale against NW particularly was embarrassing. I don't know if part of that was the eroding chemistry on the team with the whole youth movement pissing off veterans thing going on or leftover drama from Mcgee fisticuffs at thanksgiving but still.

The USF game will really tell us a lot about where this season is gunna go. Will be the biggest game IMHO in the Lovie era to date. Playing in Chicago against a middle of the road non p5 team who slaughtered you last year. Get a win in that game and you have some momentum/buzz going into a friday night home game vs. PSU.

What happened on Thanksgiving with the fisticuffs? Never caught wind of that?

Deleted member 29907

D
If Bush is able to secure the starting QB job becasue he is actually good and deserves it...maybe. If it is becasue the job fell into his lap becasue he is best of the evils the misery will continue.
Of course time will tell, but the times I did see him play (game already put away) he did show skills and, as important, he was ready when called to go in. AJ sat behind some pretty good QB talent at VT. There should be some familiarity with the quick pace offense, multiple options, pass-run, etc. The question is whether or not our receivers can get separation. Thankfully, this offense has more options to throw to, jet sweeps, etc. ( i.e. more things for the opposing D to keep track of).

Last edited by a moderator:

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Of course time will tell, but the times I did see him play (game already put away) he did show skills and, as important, he was ready when called to go in. AJ sat behind some pretty good QB talent at VT. There should be some familiarity with the quick pace offense, multiple options, pass-run, etc. The question is whether or not our receivers can get separation. Thankfully, this offense has more options to throw to, jet sweeps, etc. ( i.e. more things for the opposing D to keep track of).
If he can just take care of the football that can go a long way. Don't put the D in bad spots with bad turnovers. Let Rod Smiths scheme try and keep us in games, and get points when they are available. Just might be able to steal a few if we can do that. Just look at the Iowa game last year and what turnovers did to that game.

Deleted member 654622

D
If he can just take care of the football that can go a long way. Don't put the D in bad spots with bad turnovers. Let Rod Smiths scheme try and keep us in games, and get points when they are available. Just might be able to steal a few if we can do that. Just look at the Iowa game last year and what turnovers did to that game.

The problem is that Lovie's defense works best when it has the lead. It allows the other team to dink and dunk down the field. If it screws up one time, they are at 3rd and long needing a decent play to keep going. If they are forced to play from behind, that is when mistakes usually start to happen more often. Then the turnovers start to roll for the D.
Agreed that taking care of the football is no. 1 priority. But for us to be a real threat, we gotta start getting some points on that board.

The problem is that Lovie's defense works best when it has the lead. It allows the other team to dink and dunk down the field. If it screws up one time, they are at 3rd and long needing a decent play to keep going. If they are forced to play from behind, that is when mistakes usually start to happen more often. Then the turnovers start to roll for the D.
Agreed that taking care of the football is no. 1 priority. But for us to be a real threat, we gotta start getting some points on that board.
We do need points, but Lovie's defenses score points, we really need to be able to move the ball so the defense can get rest and play field position. We have a great punter and so field position battles should work. From what I can tell, we have serviceable QBs. Lovie has always been able to win with serviceable QBs.

Deleted member 631370

D
We do need points, but Lovie's defenses score points, we really need to be able to move the ball so the defense can get rest and play field position. We have a great punter and so field position battles should work. From what I can tell, we have serviceable QBs. Lovie has always been able to win with serviceable QBs.

Our defense scored 2 TDs last year, and either 1 or 0 TDs in 2016 (the NCAA stats page only shows teams with a minimum of 2 defensive TDs). So, at most......3 defensive TDs in 24 games.

Deleted member 654622

D

Completely agreed. We just need a HOF caliber MLB, a ball hawking FS, ball punching CB, distributive as hell DT, solid tackling OLB, and a pass rushing specializing DE.
Not being negative, just pointing out for that our D is not that talented yet. So we are going to need help from the O to score. That way it puts pressure on the other team's O to help force turnovers.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Completely agreed. We just need a HOF caliber MLB, a ball hawking FS, ball punching CB, distributive as hell DT, solid tackling OLB, and a pass rushing specializing DE.
Not being negative, just pointing out for that our D is not that talented yet. So we are going to need help from the O to score. That way it puts pressure on the other team's O to help force turnovers.
I get the guys you are referencing, and yes they all made Lovies defense go from a scheme to elite, but just a disruptive DT that can shoot the gap can make this thing go. Yes, Urlacher was a HoF and Tillmon elite at taking the ball away. But Lovies defense at its best was when Tommie Harris was crazy good upfront. Get pressure up front like that, and mistakes will happen. Mistakes happen and the D can score, or you get quick turn opportunities from the offense. Then you can let a competent QB take some shots.

Our defense scored 2 TDs last year, and either 1 or 0 TDs in 2016 (the NCAA stats page only shows teams with a minimum of 2 defensive TDs). So, at most......3 defensive TDs in 24 games.

So, about the same as our offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.