Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29907

D
If he can just take care of the football that can go a long way. Don't put the D in bad spots with bad turnovers. Let Rod Smiths scheme try and keep us in games, and get points when they are available. Just might be able to steal a few if we can do that. Just look at the Iowa game last year and what turnovers did to that game.
agree - we have enough speed on this team - Epstein, Dudek, Corbin that if Rod's scheme can just provide enough tempo and razzle, we can make up for a less than experienced/deep O line.

8 players- many of which are starters- will be suspended for the first couple of games. Dorsey, Hobbs ... etc. Hopefully we can still hold onto those first couple.
Is there a link to this anywhere? I haven't seen anything on the socials.

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
How many of you loyalty members are gonna make it to the Saturday practice at 3? I'm looking forward to checking out Bush and Robinson. It'd be cool to put a face to some names I see on here often.

How many of you loyalty members are gonna make it to the Saturday practice at 3? I'm looking forward to checking out Bush and Robinson. It'd be cool to put a face to some names I see on here often.
Personally I think Robinson was massively underrated by 247, I've been to a couple practices and he looks amazing and he will be a perfect fit for the Rod Smith offense

Personally I think Robinson was massively underrated by 247, I've been to a couple practices and he looks amazing and he will be a perfect fit for the Rod Smith offense

You look at stud college QB's who were badly underrated coming out of high school, and there's a certain type that pops up a lot: short white kids who don't really look the part who nonetheless put up gaudy numbers playing in a hotbed full of elite talent. Almost like they're hiding in plain sight amid so many other players college recruiters are salivating over. The Chase Daniel mold, if you will. Matt Robinson fits that, let's hope he can follow in those footsteps.

Deleted member 631370

D
I get the guys you are referencing, and yes they all made Lovies defense go from a scheme to elite, but just a disruptive DT that can shoot the gap can make this thing go. Yes, Urlacher was a HoF and Tillmon elite at taking the ball away. But Lovies defense at its best was when Tommie Harris was crazy good upfront. Get pressure up front like that, and mistakes will happen. Mistakes happen and the D can score, or you get quick turn opportunities from the offense. Then you can let a competent QB take some shots.

That's true, and I agree with your analysis. But the single greatest difference between the college game and NFL game from the perspective of how a coach spends his time is recruiting. Lovie didn't have to expend a lot of energy to get the likes of Urlacher, Briggs, Harris, Tillman, Mike Brown, etc. And while disparities exist, the talent level across the NFL is fairly even.

Now, Lovie's defense -- in conference play at least -- is going up against offenses that are almost always bigger, faster, and more talented. He has to close that gap via recruiting, plain and simple. We have no equivalent of Tommie Harris. We don't have a Nic Bosa or a Devin Bush or a Micah Parsons. Defensive guys that can change a game. Heck, I'd settle for "average" talent across the board, but we're not even there yet.

So Lovie's defensive success in the NFL, IMO, will have little bearing on his tenure here unless he recruits at a higher level.

You look at stud college QB's who were badly underrated coming out of high school, and there's a certain type that pops up a lot: short white kids who don't really look the part who nonetheless put up gaudy numbers playing in a hotbed full of elite talent. Almost like they're hiding in plain sight amid so many other players college recruiters are salivating over. The Chase Daniel mold, if you will. Matt Robinson fits that, let's hope he can follow in those footsteps.

As much as I hate Mizzou, Chase Daniel might be one of my favorite NFL players. The guy has made so much money while throwing so few meaningful passes in the NFL. Good for him.

Our defense scored 2 TDs last year, and either 1 or 0 TDs in 2016 (the NCAA stats page only shows teams with a minimum of 2 defensive TDs). So, at most......3 defensive TDs in 24 games.

Although I get your point, I am not sure that we can expect to win much if we are thinking the defense will be as good as it was the last two years. My point was that we will start to get more turnovers and field goals. I picture Illinois being a field position team, more than an explosive offense team for at least a year or two.

If he can just take care of the football that can go a long way. Don't put the D in bad spots with bad turnovers. Let Rod Smiths scheme try and keep us in games, and get points when they are available. Just might be able to steal a few if we can do that. Just look at the Iowa game last year and what turnovers did to that game.

This was more what I was trying to get at.

Maybe this:

Tweet
Conversation
Jeremy Werner
Jeremy Werner
@JWerner247
Yes.
Skip Duncan
@skipperd1958
Replying to @JWerner247
Didn’t his wife and kids stay in Florida when he took the job?
8:33 PM · Aug 14, 2018

1534298349812.png

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
Article states that he wants to be home to see his sons senior year of high school. That would be my guess as to why Beason liked the tweet. Byrd ought to be able to hold !!!! down as a DBs coach.

Article states that he wants to be home to see his sons senior year of high school. That would be my guess as to why Beason liked the tweet. Byrd ought to be able to hold !!!! down as a DBs coach.

Who do we hire?

I agree! Don't you think his arm looks amazing? He makes some incredible throws and can really thread the needle in double and triple coverage. He doesn't look bad running either. I'd like to see him get some play time early on.

And he decides that a couple weeks before the first game??? C'mon...

Deleted member 631370

D
And he decides that a couple weeks before the first game??? C'mon...

It might be that simple, but yeah.....the timing doesn't make sense. It smells of the old "he's leaving to spend more time with his family" shtick, which usually isn't actually about spending more time with the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.