Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRocksIllini

Morrison, CO
It might be that simple, but yeah.....the timing doesn't make sense. It smells of the old "he's leaving to spend more time with his family" shtick, which usually isn't actually about spending more time with the family.

In that case, look for him to be hired as the head coach at Ohio State in a year.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Whatever the case may be, we now have an open spot on the staff, and whether it's now or at the end of the season, that spot needs to be filled by another Thad Ward. We're still short on A+ recruiters.
This is what the staff needs. I don't think the "NFL Experienced Staff" has played as well in recruiting as they thought it would. Mix in the recruiters with the NFL development and we might be on to something.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Bring Moorehead home and switch Patterson to DBs. Lovie has myriad options, Nate S amongst them. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Nothing is going to happen until the season is over.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
And he decides that a couple weeks before the first game??? C'mon...
Well, he just got into Legends division in Clash of Clans, so that's gonna take some focus...

Abraham's departure is a troubling sign for Illini football on the eve of starting the 2018 campaign. If it is a family issue, I wish him well, and hope it resolves quickly and positively.

Abraham's departure is a troubling sign for Illini football on the eve of starting the 2018 campaign. If it is a family issue, I wish him well, and hope it resolves quickly and positively.

I mean, it's not good whatever it is, but with Gill Byrd there it's not like we've suddenly blown a hole in our coaching coverage.

The replacement should probably be an LB coach.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™

His wife refused to move (from Tampa) to CU. His sons are finishing up HS. Things came to a head. Yes, it's hardly ideal, but most of us would make the same call.

I mean, it's not good whatever it is, but with Gill Byrd there it's not like we've suddenly blown a hole in our coaching coverage.

The replacement should probably be an LB coach.

The people who only read your stuff on basketball should really come over here and read your stuff on football. Its almost a complete flip in personality!

And to keep this relevant to the conversation at hand, I hate the timing of this. Hopefully none of the potential recruits were attached to playing under Abraham

Abraham leaving is not an advantage, clearly, but it just puts us back to the coaching headcount that every team had for 20 or more years, doesn't it? Seems slightly less troubling when I think of it that way

Patently ridiculous. Just to be clear, yes, Abraham leaving now is not good. But this isn't in the same universe as jumping off a sinking ship.

The list of departing coaches and players in the past few months now exceeds 20. An incredible level of attrition by any standard.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The list of departing coaches and players in the past few months now exceeds 20. An incredible level of attrition by any standard.

Our attrition, given the context of a full rebuild, doesn't concern me. Gotta compare apples to apples. What's the avg. attrition of P5 teams in full rebuild mode?

Our attrition, given the context of a full rebuild, doesn't concern me. Gotta compare apples to apples. What's the avg. attrition of P5 teams in full rebuild mode?

I am no more favorable to giving the word "rebuild" magic powers on the football side than on the basketball side, and I have found the levels of Creaning by Lovie to be excessive and counterproductive. But Creanings they were. The plan is to have three big stacked classes full of handpicked Lovie players providing depth and experience all over the field by next season, and we are on track to do that. Marked, noticeable improvement this season is a part of that plan and a waypoint for us to analyze and judge, and I believe we will see that. I'm excited by the practice reports I'm hearing.

Deleted member 631370

D
I am no more favorable to giving the word "rebuild" magic powers on the football side than on the basketball side, and I have found the levels of Creaning by Lovie to be excessive and counterproductive. But Creanings they were. The plan is to have three big stacked classes full of handpicked Lovie players providing depth and experience all over the field by next season, and we are on track to do that. Marked, noticeable improvement this season is a part of that plan and a waypoint for us to analyze and judge, and I believe we will see that. I'm excited by the practice reports I'm hearing.

"Stacked" is a generous way to describe a three-year recruiting haul with classes ranked #10, #12, and #12 in the Big Ten.

"Stacked" is a generous way to describe a three-year recruiting haul with classes ranked #10, #12, and #12 in the Big Ten.

I meant stacked as in one after the other sequentially.

We've got enough to get out of the gutter. If we want to really make noise, we'll need more Williams' and Beasons. But by god it would be nice for Illinois Football to get out of the gutter.

Deleted member 631370

D
I meant stacked as in one after the other sequentially.

We've got enough to get out of the gutter. If we want to really make noise, we'll need more Williams' and Beasons. But by god it would be nice for Illinois Football to get out of the gutter.

Gotcha.

Well, I do think Lovie will get us out of the gutter. How far? That obviously remains to be seen, but I'm not particularly confident that we'll be anything more than a 5-6 win team. Especially in a Big Ten that's arguably as strong as it's been in many years.

We shall see.

Gotcha.

Well, I do think Lovie will get us out of the gutter. How far? That obviously remains to be seen, but I'm not particularly confident that we'll be anything more than a 5-6 win team. Especially in a Big Ten that's arguably as strong as it's been in many years.

We shall see.

Ultimately, we will see how the years progress and know if lovie can compete for big ten titles.

However, If we were in the east division, I would agree, we would struggle to qualify for bowls. But our division is fairly weak. The difference between 3 and 7 is injuries. The difference between 1 and 3 is a handful of playmakers. I think we have A strong enough core to compete. I believe if we Add depth we can compete for top 3. I believe that lovie has the ability to recruit playmakers at a level few in the west can compete with. Add a few nfl playmakers, and I think we are competing for the west.

I think this is interesting. I wonder if lovie was creaning players for a reason other than 1. Lacked power 5 ability/build. 2. Were cancerous to have around young players (I.e. complaining, arguing, etc).

In my eyes, lovie is trying to rebuild the culture and the people leaving weren’t buying in or were hurting the process. But I’m not inside and I think you probably have a stronger inside track than me.

I think this is interesting. I wonder if lovie was creaning players for a reason other than 1. Lacked power 5 ability/build. 2. Were cancerous to have around young players (I.e. complaining, arguing, etc).

In my eyes, lovie is trying to rebuild the culture and the people leaving weren’t buying in or were hurting the process. But I’m not inside and I think you probably have a stronger inside track than me.

I've got nothing inside these days. It's kind of a mystery to me.

Part of it is just making scholarship numbers available I'm sure. Beckman for the most part brought in low-upside, low-attrition good soldier kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.