Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Illinois Football: Roster | Tickets

Training Camp open to the public Aug. 3-18
"Free parking will be available in campus lot F23 just south of the Florida Avenue Residence (FAR) Hall (entrance off of Florida Ave.)."
Training Camp Schedule
Map of Practice Fields

Fan Appreciation Day Set for Saturday, August 18th
"The event is free and open to the public. Gates open at 2:30 p.m."
"The team will hold an open practice at Memorial Stadium from 3-5 p.m., followed by an on-field fan event from 5-6 p.m."
https://fightingillini.com/news/201...ciation-day-set-for-aug-18.aspx?path=football

2018 Illinois Football Schedule
Sat, Sep 01___Kent State_________________________11:00am BTN
Sat, Sep 08___Western Illinois___________________6:30pm BTN
Sat, Sep 15___USF (Soldier Field, Chicago, IL)___2:30pm BTN
Fri, Sep 21___Penn State_________________________8:00pm FS1
Sat, Sep 29___--bye--
Sat, Oct 06___@Rutgers
Sat, Oct 13___Purdue (Homecoming)________________2:30pm or 3:00pm
Sat, Oct 20___@Wisconsin_________________________11:00am
Sat, Oct 27___@Maryland
Sat, Nov 03___Minnesota
Sat, Nov 10___@Nebraska
Sat, Nov 17___Iowa
Sat, Nov 24___@Northwestern

All times CT

If I were a betting man...
Sat, Sep 01_W_Kent State_________________________11:00am BTN
Sat, Sep 08_W_Western Illinois___________________6:30pm BTN
Sat, Sep 15_W_USF (Soldier Field, Chicago, IL)___2:30pm BTN
Fri, Sep 21_L_Penn State_________________________8:00pm FS1
Sat, Sep 29___--bye--
Sat, Oct 06_W_@Rutgers
Sat, Oct 13_L_Purdue (Homecoming)________________2:30pm or 3:00pm
Sat, Oct 20_L_@Wisconsin_________________________11:00am
Sat, Oct 27_L_@Maryland
Sat, Nov 03_W_Minnesota
Sat, Nov 10_L_@Nebraska
Sat, Nov 17_L_Iowa
Sat, Nov 24_L_@Northwestern

5-7 because we're still the Illini. We coming up though...

Sat, Sep 29___--bye--
Sat, Oct 06_W_@Rutgers
Sat, Oct 27_L_@Maryland
Sat, Nov 03_W_Minnesota
Sat, Nov 10_L_@Nebraska
Sat, Nov 17_L_Iowa

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking - and I’ll be happy with that.

the national

the Front Range
That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking - and I’ll be happy with that.

Something tells me that we will lose to USF but upset one of the last three teams with my money on NW. I bet we come into our own late in the season. I feel like the backside of the B1G schedule might provide us with some winnable opportunities.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Something tells me that we will lose to USF but upset one of the last three teams with my money on NW. I bet we come into our own late in the season. I feel like the backside of the B1G schedule might provide us with some winnable opportunities.

I felt a lot better about the Northwestern game before they picked up that grad transfer QB.

Deleted member 654622

D
Sat, Sep 29___--bye--
Sat, Oct 06_W_@Rutgers
Sat, Oct 27_L_@Maryland
Sat, Nov 03_W_Minnesota
Sat, Nov 10_L_@Nebraska
Sat, Nov 17_L_Iowa

I believe this is spot on! With a chance to steal a win vs Purdue

Sat, Oct 06_W_@Rutgers
Sat, Nov 03_W_Minnesota

(Highlighted games I want to talk about). Hate being that guy. and TBH I guess my stance at this point is kinda pointless since I even think its dumb to so down, but since a lot of others are agreeing with you, I dont see where the optimism stems from.

Other than experience and a new OC, what do we have going for us? We had a true chance to win about two more games last year (not to mention we needed a blocked kick to not send one into OT). Sure the first two are games we should win, and I know USF is considerably weaker this year, but that's almost a tossup game. Rutgers and Minnesota are teams that we probably aren't (and wont be) favorites. Same goes for Purdue. The rest of the games are of course borderline unwinnable.

So sure, our ceiling is 6-6 with probably a 2-10 floor again. I think we realistically win three games.

To be fair, those are pretty important things. But, it obviously remains to be seen how much they will help.
Not disagreeing, and I expect a few guys to really start putting it together, but the problem remains that sophomore's playing against junior and seniors is still a big leap. No reason we should take a step back (that would be hard to do), but I'd be very, very shocked if we were favored in any more than 3 games, those being the first 3.

Not disagreeing, and I expect a few guys to really start putting it together, but the problem remains that sophomore's playing against junior and seniors is still a big leap. No reason we should take a step back (that would be hard to do), but I'd be very, very shocked if we were favored in any more than 3 games, those being the first 3.

I agree that we likely won't be favored in more than 2-3 games unless we come out early and put up ridiculous scores or hold our own against a team like PSU. Then I could see the lines starting to shift a bit more "pro-Illini" than the initial projections. My realistic expectations are in line with yours, but my "Orange Kool-Aid" hopes are to go 6-6 this season.

IF this team were to manage 6-6 this year, it'd be a year early on most people's realistic projections in the rebuild and should offer a nice uptick in overall recruit quality. In just under 1 month, we get to start having this discussion while seeing real results on the field. This offseason has dragged on and I'm ready for some Illini sports back in my life.

If we somehow get to 6-6 Lovie should be B1G West Coach of the Year. Our hope is that we have a QB establish themselves right away and we don't have the "Rex is our quarterback" statement every week. I expect the defense to be improved just off experience, and with that the hottest of Hot Takes: We average an INT per game for the season.

Our hope is that we have a QB establish themselves right away and we don't have the "Rex is our quarterback" statement every week.

I'm sure we will see a lot of different QB's in Weeks 1 and 2 and I would be surprised if the same guy starts all 12 games. But we completed under 50% of passes as a team last year, with 8 TD's against 19 INT's. Even a revolving door of blah would be a huge improvement.

DrewD007

Woodridge, IL
The only truly unwinnable games I see are Penn State and Wisconsin. Then we have two games that should definitely be wins in Kent State and WIU. The other 8 I don’t expect us to win, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we did. Ultimately, I think we may win 2 of those remaining 8.

Deleted member 654622

D
Just having a competent OC should make a big impact.

I'm sure we will see a lot of different QB's in Weeks 1 and 2

That's an excellent point, especially with the new redshirt rule. From a continuity standpoint it'd be nice to know who's taking the snaps from week to week. Even with the IF's mentioned, one of these 4 new guys and an older Thomas will be an improvement. My money is on Robinson. He has experience in a similar system and was handpicked by RS.

Just having a competent OC should make a big impact.

That, frankly, we don't know yet.

The biggest downside risk to this season, in my view, is the offensive transition being a disaster. Bad tempo teams who constantly punt after 30 seconds on the field and hang their defenses out to dry can be really, really bad. And if we have to slow RichRod ball down to compensate for that, Rod Smith could find himself in over his head.

I'm bullish on this upcoming season, but that is the aspect that makes me fear I could be wrong.

t7nich

Central IL
That is a really big "if" there.

Is it? People really think it's going to be difficult to get a "competent" QB out of the group that will be competing for the job?

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but our QB and offensive situation going into this year is head and shoulders ahead of where we were last year.. taking into account O-line, OC, QB, weapons, RB depth, etc.

Is it? People really think it's going to be difficult to get a "competent" QB out of the group that will be competing for the job?

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but our QB and offensive situation going into this year is head and shoulders ahead of where we were last year.. taking into account O-line, OC, QB, weapons, RB depth, etc.

Yes, it is going to be hard to get competent QB play out of a group of six underclassmen with minimal experience and with minimal recruiting buzz.

Cam Thomas is the most experienced, I fully expect him to start game 1. He threw 5 INTs in 66 attempts last year.

No competent QB play means everyone stacks the box and our skill players can't operate. You can't game plan around that in the B1G, you need a QB who they at least respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.