Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sophomore Thomas and a fifth-year Bush hopefully gets us to serviceable.

Deleted member 29907

D
Yes, it is going to be hard to get competent QB play out of a group of six underclassmen with minimal experience and with minimal recruiting buzz.

Cam Thomas is the most experienced, I fully expect him to start game 1. He threw 5 INTs in 66 attempts last year.

No competent QB play means everyone stacks the box and our skill players can't operate. You can't game plan around that in the B1G, you need a QB who they at least respect.

He did throw a few INTs, but to be fair, our OC put him in some ridiculous call situations as I recall (e.g. come in off the bench cold and lets have you throw the ball from our own 10 yd line right away). I am hoping our new OC has many more smarts than our previous one who made Cubit look good.

I'm hoping our Offensive Coordinator actually has an offense to coordinate. I've had enough of Pee Wee football coaching.

If I were a betting man...
Sat, Sep 01_W_Kent State_________________________11:00am BTN
Sat, Sep 08_W_Western Illinois___________________6:30pm BTN
Sat, Sep 15_W_USF (Soldier Field, Chicago, IL)___2:30pm BTN
Fri, Sep 21_L_Penn State_________________________8:00pm FS1
Sat, Sep 29___--bye--
Sat, Oct 06_W_@Rutgers
Sat, Oct 13_L_Purdue (Homecoming)________________2:30pm or 3:00pm
Sat, Oct 20_L_@Wisconsin_________________________11:00am
Sat, Oct 27_L_@Maryland
Sat, Nov 03_W_Minnesota
Sat, Nov 10_L_@Nebraska
Sat, Nov 17_L_Iowa
Sat, Nov 24_L_@Northwestern

5-7 because we're still the Illini. We coming up though...
We win that USF game, and I agree with you (maybe even throw in Purdue). We lose it, and it's a 2-win season.

Partially in terms of my thoughts on those players, but also in terms of what it would seem to say about what's going on behind the scenes, here are our QB's in order of how optimistic it would make me to have them be the opening day starter:

1. Bush - If he wins the job, it's because he's genuinely a cut above of the others
2. Rivers - Same as above, and likely because he has shown an unusual degree of polish for a freshman
3. Thomas - If he's the starter, we can be reasonably sure he wasn't a total disaster throwing the ball in camp
4. Taylor - If his raw tools get him the job, that probably says something bad about the group as a whole
5. Robinson - It would make me very concerned that Rod Smith doesn't like the tools he's inherited
6. Being hit by a car
7. Anyone else

Deleted member 654622

D
That's an excellent point, especially with the new redshirt rule. From a continuity standpoint it'd be nice to know who's taking the snaps from week to week. Even with the IF's mentioned, one of these 4 new guys and an older Thomas will be an improvement. My money is on Robinson. He has experience in a similar system and was handpicked by RS.
I hope we do not see more than 2 QBs all year. Whomever they see fit to start, I want them getting as many reps as possible in before B1G play

Deleted member 654622

D
Yes, it is going to be hard to get competent QB play out of a group of six underclassmen with minimal experience and with minimal recruiting buzz.

Cam Thomas is the most experienced, I fully expect him to start game 1. He threw 5 INTs in 66 attempts last year.

No competent QB play means everyone stacks the box and our skill players can't operate. You can't game plan around that in the B1G, you need a QB who they at least respect.

I would hope in this new offense that if they stacked the box, then quick slants to Mikey, Ricky and Reggie are going to make them pay very fast. (Insert competent QB play statement). The slant is one of the easier throws to make.

And before anyone goes off, I said THROW not read

Deleted member 654622

D
Partially in terms of my thoughts on those players, but also in terms of what it would seem to say about what's going on behind the scenes, here are our QB's in order of how optimistic it would make me to have them be the opening day starter:

1. Bush - If he wins the job, it's because he's genuinely a cut above of the others
2. Rivers - Same as above, and likely because he has shown an unusual degree of polish for a freshman
3. Thomas - If he's the starter, we can be reasonably sure he wasn't a total disaster throwing the ball in camp
4. Taylor - If his raw tools get him the job, that probably says something bad about the group as a whole
5. Robinson - It would make me very concerned that Rod Smith doesn't like the tools he's inherited
6. Being hit by a car
7. Anyone else

If a true freshman is under center for the majority of this season, then mark us down for 2 wins

So much changes if we can get even mediocrity from the QB position.
This. Which becomes a LOT easier if the OC is planning and calling to the QB's strengths.

Do the guys on this forum who really understand line play, think our OL will be much improved this year? I remember feeling grumpy with Butkus over all the changes last year, but he may have done an incredible job stitching together that OL. I'm assuming there will be far greater continuity across the line this year, and that both pass protection and the running game will benefit.

I think time in the system and time in the weight room will improve our D.

And I think if we get a reasonable version of the improvements mentioned above, our offensive and defensive efficiency should drop out of the triple digits. If both get better than ninety, that probably [probabilistically?] translates to a four or five win season.

I choose optimism; play NW with a bowl on the line.

UofI08

Chicago

6. Being hit by a car
7. Anyone else

I like your thoughts, but I would switch Rivers and Thomas. We're talking opening day. If Thomas or Bush are not starting week 1, it probably says more about how badly they've performed than how well a freshman has.

Based on nothing other than my opinion, I really think Bush will be our QB1, unless Thomas has improved drastically and something clicked over summer. Also, I just can't see Lovie starting a true frosh week 1 barring injuries.

Deleted member 29907

D
My super early and possibly wrong prediction after watching the first day of camp:

AJ Bush will start.
I don't think that's a bad thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that's a bad thing...
Agreed. He doesn't look like a world beater but looked much better throwing and making decisions than anyone else on the field today. Had a crisp 45 yarder to one of the freshman too.

breadman

Herndon, VA
My super early and possibly wrong prediction after watching the first day of camp:

AJ Bush will start.

Just took a look at Jeremy Werner's twitter site where he has some pics of the QBs.
I tell you what, that AJ Bush guy looks like he has some kind of focused look on his face.
He takes one look at you and you give him the starting nod.
Have not seen him move, hand off, pass, run, just looked at still pictures.
This should be fun.

My expectation is 3-9 with wins over Kent, WIU, & Rutgers and majority of the losses being competitive.

My bet would be on Minnesota for a 4th win.

Deleted member 631370

D
My expectation is 3-9 with wins over Kent, WIU, & Rutgers and majority of the losses being competitive.

My bet would be on Minnesota for a 4th win.

Rutgers is actually improved......there's quite a bit of optimism that they might challenge for a bowl bid this year. I don't necessarily see it, but they'll probably win 4-5 games, and should be favored over us in Piscataway.

But if we do get a third win, that's probably our best hope.

Dan

Admin
https://twitter.com/alioneye

Quick hits during a water break:

+ Dominic Stampley is a surprise.
+ Defense is just so young.
+ Rod Smith needs to be mic’d up for every practice.
+ AJ Bush much more likely to win the QB job than I thought driving up here today.

Bad news at the first practice: due to an injury during the summer, Appalachian State transfer WR Shaedon Meadors is out for the season.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
According to Roberts Twitter, Shaedon Meadors (grad transfer WR) is out for the year with an injury.

Suuuucks.

Edit: Dan included it in his post above.

According to Roberts Twitter, Shaedon Meadors (grad transfer WR) is out for the year with an injury.

Suuuucks.

Not great, but injuries happen every year, and if you were going to tell me the 3rd or 4th highest regarded player at a position went down for the year, I would much rather it be WR than LB or OL.

Kramer116

Chicago
I am really excited to see Palcewski at OT finally and to see what Kendrick Green can do at guard, loved his footwork and punch on film coming in.

I am really excited to see Palcewski at OT finally and to see what Kendrick Green can do at guard, loved his footwork and punch on film coming in.

Palc is happy to be on the right side again and back at tackle. He's bigger and stronger and he's working his tail off. I think the OL is primed to beat up the right side of the field. Dual threat QB that can keep the ball, hand off to RB or quick slant to WR and they might be able to abuse some D. I think our new OC wants to start simple, create some mismatches and hit em where they aint. I think it's going to be fun this year watching our kids progress. I'm looking forward to watching more of the kids I know nothing about. Does anyone have the scoop on the DL? See you folks there Monday morning.

Deleted member 29907

D
Simply incorporating a jet sweep makes me smile. Our O has been so unimaginative over the last x years - unless of course Cubits backwards pass to a covered wideout excites you.

Status
Not open for further replies.