Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I think that article is the absolute ideal scenario realistically, however I think a 5-7 season (with obvious improvement though) is more likely. If Illinois was somehow able to get 7 wins it would be a really good sell for recruiting in 2020 with Beason and Isaiah coming in.
I don't know, I think the last 3 are winnable too! :)

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
If we're going by early practice reports (always reliable, I know), Lovie's own evaluation, and the expected Sophomore leap that all players should make, then I am more excited for this season than I have been in a while. At least since before Beckman became our coach. You KNOW a lot of teams are going to be overlooking us, and that's where I think we can catch a few by surprise and maybe steal an extra win or two from what was expected. ESPECIALLY if AJ's game performance in real games meets what we're seeing in practice so far, and of course assuming most of our best players staying healthy (no more Epstein or Dudek injuries, please!). I was initially thinking 3-4 win's was a reasonable expectation, but after what we've seen thus far I don't think 5 wins is out of the question. We'll see.

Hey guys, will be in town tomorrow. Is there a scheduled practice tomorrow? If so when/where?

Deleted member 631370

D
https://writingillini.com/2018/08/09/illinois-football-illini-game-game-predictions-2018-season/

Has us getting to 7-2 and finishing 7-5...I think anyone would sign up for that.

Well, the good news is that this is a really, really weak schedule. No Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State.

A lot of these are indeed winnable. The author is drinking some serious kool-aid in suggesting that we're going to hang that close with Penn State and Wisconsin (and hold each of them to 21 points), and seems to assume that most of the realistically competitive games will go our way.

But man, we are bad. Going 5-0 against Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers, and South Florida is just not realistic. It's possible that we could get 2 of those. But all 5? No chance.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Hey guys, will be in town tomorrow. Is there a scheduled practice tomorrow? If so when/where?
I believe tomorrow's practice is a closed session at the stadium at night.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ms-in-college-football-120584914/#120584914_1
2018 outlook: Will the Illini hold out and give Smith another season when 2018 goes in the tank? For his sake, Illinois needs to find a Big Ten victory somewhere on the schedule.
The mainstream narrative is definitely against Lovie.. Hopefully he can exceed expectations. Thoughts anyone?
"When" 2018 goes in the tank? Pretty presumptuous, eh? They are definitely giving them plenty of bulletin board material.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Lovie gradually/moderately building talent and depth. Give his first true recruiting class at least 2 more years. Even then still too early to judge purely wins/losses. Need to look at recruiting and competitiveness improvements. No coach is going to come to Illinois and immediately win and recruit at top 25 level. No matter how HYPRR he is.
Respect and enjoy the process.

illini80

Forgottonia
Lack of depth is going to be huge this year. We have to stay healthy to stay competitive.

DoctorOrange

Chicago, IL
Th Lovie hotseat narratives are so lazy. No thought whatsoever, but I am scared of the National perspective projecting a program in turmoil. They may force the narrative upon us even if it isn’t true. Gotta win some games this year.

Well, the good news is that this is a really, really weak schedule. No Ohio State, Michigan, or Michigan State.

A lot of these are indeed winnable. The author is drinking some serious kool-aid in suggesting that we're going to hang that close with Penn State and Wisconsin (and hold each of them to 21 points), and seems to assume that most of the realistically competitive games will go our way.

But man, we are bad. Going 5-0 against Purdue, Minnesota, Maryland, Rutgers, and South Florida is just not realistic. It's possible that we could get 2 of those. But all 5? No chance.

I think this will depend on our health vs. their health. All four of those games are winnable.

Maryland looking like a more winnable game. I don't mind the dysfunctionality.

the national

the Front Range
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...ms-in-college-football-120584914/#120584914_1
2018 outlook: Will the Illini hold out and give Smith another season when 2018 goes in the tank? For his sake, Illinois needs to find a Big Ten victory somewhere on the schedule.
The mainstream narrative is definitely against Lovie.. Hopefully he can exceed expectations. Thoughts anyone?

the fact that colorado is on that list shows that this guy is not up-to-date with the new narratives. Its easy to pick Kansas, Rutgers, even Illinois. But CU has be playing better than in the past. I would argue that Rutgers might also have a breakout season this year. I am an Illinois homer but I feel like these assessments are silly and out of touch.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Agree, though the depth will be significantly better than last year.

Super low bar. Some position groups are shaping up nicely (relative to where they were), albeit inexperienced. Others have a yawning chasm between the ones and twos. We need to have the starters from those groups to stay relatively healthy. If they do and our offense is not offensive, we can win some games that folks have us slated to lose. 2 big ifs though.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Agree, though the depth will be significantly better than last year.

Not sure I buy this. The players on the two- and three- deep will have more potential, but that doesn't mean they're ready.

Not sure I buy this. The players on the two- and three- deep will have more potential, but that doesn't mean they're ready.
Trend to agree. I'm not knowledgeable, but I read most of Robert's stuff and it doesn't feel like we go more than 30 deep. Don't think that's enough.

They have more experience as well. Last year we had a lot of Freshman back up Freshman and or Freshman backing up non Lovie guys. Now you are stating to to see guys in two deep who have been with Lovie 2 and 3 years rather than this being their first camp. There are still plenty of Freshman that will be in 2 deep, but you are starting to see most in the 3rd string or not at all. That is a good sign for a program trying to build.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
They have more experience as well. Last year we had a lot of Freshman back up Freshman and or Freshman backing up non Lovie guys. Now you are stating to to see guys in two deep who have been with Lovie 2 and 3 years rather than this being their first camp. There are still plenty of Freshman that will be in 2 deep, but you are starting to see most in the 3rd string or not at all. That is a good sign for a program trying to build.

This. We're still woefully green, but less green than last year. But that's not a valid excuse for these nimrod media types who claim Lovie is on the hot seat. Laughable. Anyway, have to show demonstrable progress. I think we will.

This. We're still woefully green, but less green than last year. But that's not a valid excuse for these nimrod media types who claim Lovie is on the hot seat. Laughable. Anyway, have to show demonstrable progress. I think we will.

Maybe Lovie would be on hot seat if this were a normal rebuild. It wasn't and he isn't anywhere near hot seat. If Bush is able to secure starting job it will be huge for long term of this rebuild and I expect will help to improve substantially this season.

I am not super hung up on a # of wins this year. Showing some progress and competing are much more important as an indicator of where this program is going under Lovie.

The discouraging thing about last year was that the team seemingly quit in some games - that season finale against NW particularly was embarrassing. I don't know if part of that was the eroding chemistry on the team with the whole youth movement pissing off veterans thing going on or leftover drama from Mcgee fisticuffs at thanksgiving but still.

The USF game will really tell us a lot about where this season is gunna go. Will be the biggest game IMHO in the Lovie era to date. Playing in Chicago against a middle of the road non p5 team who slaughtered you last year. Get a win in that game and you have some momentum/buzz going into a friday night home game vs. PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.