Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. To pick the easiest example, the other defensive GA has been with the program for 6 years. Why give him the opportunity to coach when you can just hand the job to your son.
Its key that the fill-in be able to recruit. Guessing none of the analysts and GA are great recruiters.

You may as well have an extension of Lovie on the trail. If this is permanent, yeah it sucks. But theres no indication of that

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Its key that the fill-in be able to recruit. Guessing none of the analysts and GA are great recruiters.

You may as well have an extension of Lovie on the trail. If this is permanent, yeah it sucks. But theres no indication of that

Others may not like the interim title either.

For now, looks like the staff made the right call on AJ Bush v. Brandon Dawkins. Dawkins is leaving Indiana after not being named the starter.

Dawkins wasn’t bought in, regardless how aj plays this season, he’s provided a ton for the young qbs. I think this was probably almost as good as i hoped. Obviously winning games would be even better, but so far things have been great

Exactly. To pick the easiest example, the other defensive GA has been with the program for 6 years. Why give him the opportunity to coach when you can just hand the job to your son.

After looking through each of the other defensive guys' resumes on staff, yes I am going to wager that Lovie's son was the best hire. The other defensive GA didn't even play college football at any level. He was a student manager that just graduated two years ago. Does that make him more qualified to be a paid collegiate defensive backs coach? Snapping balls to the QB's does not make you ready to coach college football on a paid level. Come on man.

And I mean absolutely no disrespect to the young man. I hope he keeps learning and gets to be a college coach. Simply retorting the claim that he should be a paid college coach right NOW.

After looking through each of the other defensive guys' resumes on staff, yes I am going to wager that Lovie's son was the best hire.

If that was the case, then you would have expected Lovie to defend it on those grounds. He didn't though.

If that was the case, then you would have expected Lovie to defend it on those grounds. He didn't though.

I don't understand why Lovie has to defend this? He has already stated it is an interim placement. This is also a last minute fill of the lowest available slot on staff where it's a given that the person awarded the job is going to be very lacking in experience.

Defend is the wrong word. I should have said that Lovie’s public reasoning for the hire wasn’t that he was the best person.

It’s clear that the vast majority of people are ok with Lovie gifting his kid a job. But the fact that it’s a junior, interim position shouldn’t matter. The interim position is a great opportunity for someone to break into a highly competitive, lucrative profession. Rather than look for the best person among the available candidates, our coach appears to have just given it to his son. That’s not right, even if it is the norm in coaching.

I just hope that Lovie’s kid proves to be a great coach, making the practical concerns moot.

Defend is the wrong word. I should have said that Lovie’s public reasoning for the hire wasn’t that he was the best person.

It’s clear that the vast majority of people are ok with Lovie gifting his kid a job. But the fact that it’s a junior, interim position shouldn’t matter. The interim position is a great opportunity for someone to break into a highly competitive, lucrative profession. Rather than look for the best person among the available candidates, our coach appears to have just given it to his son. That’s not right, even if it is the norm in coaching.

I just hope that Lovie’s kid proves to be a great coach, making the practical concerns moot.

Here's another way to look at it. Anyone taking that position knows they are just filler... End of season the search begins to fill that spot. Who wants that job at this point? Best person among the available candidates??? What candidates? Teams in the NCAA have been doing just fine for many many years with one less staff spot. This is the first year that spot even existed and has been available. It's this dire thing that is going to impact the team, honestly? Does everyone knocking Lovie over this really believe that?

My take.... Who is better to take the lame duck lowest staff position on a moments notice with 1 week until the opening game, than someone who knows exactly how it's going to play out, and accepts that? Lovies son, that's who. He also knows there is a spot for him somewhere when that position gets filled by someone more qualified. Anyone else taking the spot doesn't have that 'security blanket'.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I like the fact that (at least out of high school) he was a pocket passer type guy. Flowers was a water bug - tough to get ahold of and contain.

+1

Pressure is the key. If our DL consistently pressures him, highly doubt if he'll pick us apart.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Nice discussion on the Miles Smith promo/hire.
Lovie to see it.
For those who don't like it, how many of the current GAs and Off/Def Analysts have resigned in protest? Thought so.
My limited observation is that Miles seems to need an appointment or two, or even maybe three with that Fletch guy. Just sayin'

Here's another way to look at it. Anyone taking that position knows they are just filler... End of season the search begins to fill that spot. Who wants that job at this point? Best person among the available candidates??? What candidates? Teams in the NCAA have been doing just fine for many many years with one less staff spot. This is the first year that spot even existed and has been available. It's this dire thing that is going to impact the team, honestly? Does everyone knocking Lovie over this really believe that?

My take.... Who is better to take the lame duck lowest staff position on a moments notice with 1 week until the opening game, than someone who knows exactly how it's going to play out, and accepts that? Lovies son, that's who. He also knows there is a spot for him somewhere when that position gets filled by someone more qualified. Anyone else taking the spot doesn't have that 'security blanket'.

I'll add this: There's most likely a better coach out there right now that would've helped more that would taken the job. However (like you partially said), the pool is extremely limited by lateness of the available position, unwillingness of many to accept a lame duck position, and of course quality of job UIUC can offer.

I think the reason Lovie mentioned they want to take their time next offseason to conduct a true search is because of those points. If they were to do a real search right now (which is what would've been needed to find a better candidate (I know other's might disagree but these kind of positions are not highly, visibly desirable)) it would cost many man hours. Man hours that could be spent bettering the team immediately. Instead of what probably would've amounted to 2 man weeks worth of search, discovery, interview, and hire of someone (keep in mind they might still end at the same conclusion they came to), where as by promoting Miles, took probably about a days worth of work. You get a guy who knows the system and it's not like this kind of move is some sort of major talent dropoff.

Yes, he promoted Miles partially because he was his son, and you'd probably be right to speculate that if an identical candidate was not his son, there were others better suited already in the GA pool, but again, Miles isn't some guy off the street, and the talent difference in GA's is minimal.

I'll add this: There's most likely a better coach out there right now that would've helped more that would taken the job. However (like you partially said), the pool is extremely limited by lateness of the available position, unwillingness of many to accept a lame duck position, and of course quality of job UIUC can offer.

I think the reason Lovie mentioned they want to take their time next offseason to conduct a true search is because of those points. If they were to do a real search right now (which is what would've been needed to find a better candidate (I know other's might disagree but these kind of positions are not highly, visibly desirable)) it would cost many man hours. Man hours that could be spent bettering the team immediately. Instead of what probably would've amounted to 2 man weeks worth of search, discovery, interview, and hire of someone (keep in mind they might still end at the same conclusion they came to), where as by promoting Miles, took probably about a days worth of work. You get a guy who knows the system and it's not like this kind of move is some sort of major talent dropoff.

Yes, he promoted Miles partially because he was his son, and you'd probably be right to speculate that if an identical candidate was not his son, there were others better suited already in the GA pool, but again, Miles isn't some guy off the street, and the talent difference in GA's is minimal.

I don't know much, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Because of what you said in the second and third paragraph, the thesis doesn't make sense. The time constraints and need for a coach to have knowledge of the defense would be the most important qualities for a coach at this late stage. So it is unlikely that another coach would be better suited or provide more value in the limited role. Plus, Lovie's children have grown up with football, watching film and learning his defense. I think this will be a good litmus test to see if he is ready to take on a bigger role.

I don't know much, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Because of what you said in the second and third paragraph, the thesis doesn't make sense. The time constraints and need for a coach to have knowledge of the defense would be the most important qualities for a coach at this late stage. So it is unlikely that another coach would be better suited or provide more value in the limited role. Plus, Lovie's children have grown up with football, watching film and learning his defense. I think this will be a good litmus test to see if he is ready to take on a bigger role.
You could absolutely be right, but considering the pool of people who would take the job right now is probably still numbering in the 100s, out of the best possible choice in the group compared to Miles Smith, I take the field. I will also point out my knowledge is extremely limited, and I didn't really emphasize what I wanted to be my biggest point, and that is that even putting in the effort to find that needle in a haystack that would better the team more than Miles Smith, probably doesn't come to fruition.

It boils down to this: I find it hard to believe there isn't a single coach who wouldn't have taken this job right now (and I would assume it wouldn't be on an interim basis) that isn't better than Miles Smith. However, finding this coach, is not only extremely time intensive (coming at a time in the season where time is one of the most valuable commodities), but this search would most likely not result in said coach.

Wow! Miles Smith is part of the coaching staff. It’s final, so let it go.

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
For those who don't like it, how many of the current GAs and Off/Def Analysts have resigned in protest? Thought so.
I personally have no problem with the Miles hire, but I think your logic behind why it's okay is flawed. Every time you've disapproved of a decision your boss has made did you quit? Thought so.

Deleted member 654622

D
That ignores the fact that he was hired because he was Lovie's kid in the first place. His entire coaching career consists of working for his Dad.
Has anyone answered the question of whether or not he is a good coach? I don't care how he got the job if he will be successful in that role. If he will not, then look at how he ended up with it

TEYPAY

Springfield
issue is not so much the field being better.... it is the time the coaches would have to spend AWAY from the current team / training for interviews, offers, etc. and then getting the new person up to speed on what the overall plan is.

Back to the players on the field... I think we get 5 wins. Kent St., WIU, Minny, Rutgers, and then find a 5th among USF or Nebraska. There has been so much hype around Frost I feel like people are forgetting they went 4-8 last year and are starting a true freshman. Yes it's on the road in hostile territory but a winnable game nonetheless.

EDIT: So I read it. This Barnett kid was a stud out of HS. You don't go to 'Bama as a QB unless you're good. But at subsequent Juco and AZST stints he didn't exactly light the world on fire. Though he looks to have a much better team around him then our guy. So we'll see. While it will only be game 3, a win here could be a sign that we have made some strides as a team from last year and possibly give hope of better things to come.

I'm not sure this will turn out to be true. South Florida only returns 38% of their offensive production from last year which is 125th in nation. Illinois 64% good for 79th.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...8-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Rumor has it, Kievan Meyers has finally made it to CU. Had kind of lost hope. Really important for building our O line depth (yeah, if there was ever a redshirt candidate, it's him).

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Slight eye roll with the Miles Smith promotion. If its just for this year, I'm 1000% ok with it. I'll be skeptical if he remains in the role next year.

Tough for me to envision a scenario where a coach demotes his son.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
I like the fact that (at least out of high school) he was a pocket passer type guy. Flowers was a water bug - tough to get ahold of and contain.

Fits more with Charlie Strong's offense (and previous QBs). Was just too difficult for him to abandon a great QB like Flowers last year so he adjusted.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Rumor has it, Kievan Meyers has finally made it to CU. Had kind of lost hope. Really important for building our O line depth (yeah, if there was ever a redshirt candidate, it's him).

This is sorely needed. Need to keep building the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.