Illini Football 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor has it, Kievan Meyers has finally made it to CU. Had kind of lost hope. Really important for building our O line depth (yeah, if there was ever a redshirt candidate, it's him).

First Higgs and Kane in basketball and now Meyers in football? Look at the sun shining down on us all of the sudden.

I am going to respond to this from a non-football perspective...
I have a child that had learning 'disabilities'. There were times when we thought that College wasn't the right path. BUT, thanks to a counselor, this issue was brought to light. Different methods of testing were employed, and this person flourished. This person, my child, now has a Masters, and is in charge of implementing a program in a private International school to educate, train, and integrate, these people into everyday society. Therefore when we (UI) have issues with getting recruits in on our (UI chatroom and others) timeline.
I always work on this premise. We are all equal. But we aren't all created equal within the confines of NCAA football rules and regulations. If a Kane, or a Higgs, or a Meyers, or anyone else requires a bit of extra patience.... so be it.... Personally, I will root for those individuals moreso then others......

Last edited:
I am going to respond to this from a non-football perspective...
I have a child that had learning 'disabilities'. There were times when we thought that College wasn't the right path. BUT, thanks to a counselor, this issue was brought to light. Different methods of testing were employed, and this person flourished. This person, my child, now has a Masters, and is in charge of implementing a program in a private International school to educate, train, and integrate, these people into everyday society. Therefore when we (UI) have issues with getting recruits in on our (UI chatroom and others) timeline.
I always work on this premise. We are all equal. But we aren't all created equal within the confines of NCAA football rules and regulations. If a Kane, or a Higgs, or a Meyers, or anyone else requires a bit of extra patience.... so be it.... Personally, I will root for those individuals moreso then others......
Thanks for sharing. Good story

Tough for me to envision a scenario where a coach demotes his son.
I would argue, especially in a situation like this, that demoting his son would be easier than just a random coach. And is it really a demotion if he is an interim assistant? That would be like saying Walker was demoted from HC back to assistant just because we hired Underwood and removed Walker's interim status. How is this any different? And again, this is even a less extreme situation than with going from HC back to assistant.

JDHalfrack

Springfield, IL
I would argue, especially in a situation like this, that demoting his son would be easier than just a random coach. And is it really a demotion if he is an interim assistant? That would be like saying Walker was demoted from HC back to assistant just because we hired Underwood and removed Walker's interim status. How is this any different? And again, this is even a less extreme situation than with going from HC back to assistant.

To piggy-back off of this...

I also think Lovie is trying to set examples when possible. I feel like if after Illinois condcts their search at the end of the year, and Miles really isn't the best option at that point (which in all likelihood he won't be), Lovie will 'demote' his son. He'll set the example again. I know we aren't getting major results in the wins column since Lovie has arrived, although that will come. However, most of the time, we've seen a major adjustment to the way the program is run under him (and Whitman). Proper examples are set, I don't feel that the team is composed of buffoons,and I feel like the emphasis is set on raising men... not rising a football team. The nice part is that if we focus on that, the other will follow. The reverse, though.... not always true....

My two cents anyway.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Tough for me to envision a scenario where a coach demotes his son.

The title is Interim Assistant Coach. It won't be a demotion. I believe a new Assistant Coach will be announced around January.

Filling that 10th position now helps on the field, and in recruiting. I suspect that's the only reason the position was filled. And who can step into that position with 100% awareness of Lovie's expectations, processes, priorities and preferences on day one? One guy, and he already lives here.

I have no problem with this. But I also expect this position to be filled by either a proven recruiter or a proven coach after the season.

Filling that 10th position now helps on the field, and in recruiting. I suspect that's the only reason the position was filled. And who can step into that position with 100% awareness of Lovie's expectations, processes, priorities and preferences on day one? One guy, and he already lives here.

I have no problem with this. But I also expect this position to be filled by either a proven recruiter or a proven coach after the season.

I agree, but I would add a caveat. If miles crushes it, he could earn the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.