Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 652751

D
I hope Luke's family sues the NCAA and further exposes their inconsistent application of their joke of a rule book. I wish enough schools would secede from the NCAA and form their own league. Too much $ involved for it to ever happen, unfortunately.

Oskee

Chicago 'Burbs
SIU is 9 miles from Carterville.

Champaign is under 200 miles away. Nashville (Vanderbilt) and Louisville are a bit farther away.

For DI Football schools, just eyeballing it, Bowling Green (WKU) appears to be the closest as the bird flies, with Vanderbilt, Indiana, and Illinois being not much further. None are even close to 100 mile radius.

Last edited:
Are there any Power 5 schools remotely close to a 100 mile radius from Carterville? I can't come up with any.

Discriminating against kids that come from rural and/or remote areas is ridiculous.
I had the same thought. Using google maps the closest school P5 school to Carterville is Illinois at 186 miles. Others are Indiana (194), Missouri (231), Vanderbilt (196) and Louisville (213). If you expand it to Division 1 football schools Western KY is 178 miles, Memphis is 217, and that powerhouse, Arkansas State, is 190 miles.

I had the same thought. Using google maps the closest school P5 school to Carterville is Illinois at 186 miles. Others are Indiana (194), Missouri (231), Vanderbilt (196) and Louisville (213). If you expand it to Division 1 football schools Western KY is 178 miles, Memphis is 217, and that powerhouse, Arkansas State, is 190 miles.
You're excluding a lot of Division I schools that are in the FCS.

Deleted member 29907

D
Are there any Power 5 schools remotely close to a 100 mile radius from Carterville? I can't come up with any.

Discriminating against kids that come from rural and/or remote areas is ridiculous.
Brock Hoffman had a stronger case, so I can't say I'm surprised.

This was discussed on the previous page:

And just to clarify, his mother's brain tumor, which was not cancerous, was removed a year ago. They asked him what care he was going to provide and how often. This is more in lines with the purpose of the waiver, not so that family can more easily attend games.

People are confusing the family medical hardship waiver with other types of waivers. Tate Martell was granted a waiver in large part because of a coaching change. The attorney threw a lot of other things out there. It's easier to get that waiver than the family medical hardship waiver, unless there is a true family medical hardship.
If the expectation is that the student athlete is to provide some amount of care (in addition to going to school and playing ball) then that's a problem. The exception should be granted to allow better ease of getting to games and also providing comfort or visiting. Care should not be the bar. Mom with brain tumor should be automatic, seriously what kind of jerks are running that organization.

What is the reason given for Martells waiver? And the reason it was ok,d? Just because he was afraid he was going to have to fight for a stating spot? If so, that doesn't seem right. Illinois and These other Schools should get together and file a lawsuit against the NCAA because it sure does sound like they play favoritism and just decide who gets waivers biased on what school is aplying, not the reason for what they are applying for. This is some complete bull!!!!!

Brock Hoffman had a stronger case, so I can't say I'm surprised.

This was discussed on the previous page:

And just to clarify, his mother's brain tumor, which was not cancerous, was removed a year ago. They asked him what care he was going to provide and how often. This is more in lines with the purpose of the waiver, not so that family can more easily attend games.

People are confusing the family medical hardship waiver with other types of waivers. Tate Martell was granted a waiver in large part because of a coaching change. The attorney threw a lot of other things out there. It's easier to get that waiver than the family medical hardship waiver, unless there is a true family medical hardship.
There was a coaching change..the offensive coordinator of the previous coach. Martell did not leave because of the coaching change. He left because fields transferred in.

illinihawk16

Chicago
What is the reason given for Martells waiver? And the reason it was ok,d? Just because he was afraid he was going to have to fight for a stating spot? If so, that doesn't seem right. Illinois and These other Schools should get together and file a lawsuit against the NCAA because it sure does sound like they play favoritism and just decide who gets waivers biased on what school is aplying, not the reason for what they are applying for. This is some complete bull!!!!!

I believe it was said that Martell's waiver was due to coaching change (Urban stepping down) rather than a medical hardship waiver, which apparently is a tougher case to make.

You didn't mention Justin Fields, but I wanted to look into his situation as well and found these unique circumstances. https://247sports.com/Article/Justin-Fields-Georgia-Bulldogs-transfer-NCAA-Ohio-State-126527630/

Hopefully this is where having an Lawyer as an AD will help. Really wish the media could get a hold of the NCAA and force them to answer questions to people's faces. Very frustrating that the rich get richer.

I believe it was said that Martell's waiver was due to coaching change (Urban stepping down) rather than a medical hardship waiver, which apparently is a tougher case to make.

You didn't mention Justin Fields, but I wanted to look into his situation as well and found these unique circumstances. https://247sports.com/Article/Justin-Fields-Georgia-Bulldogs-transfer-NCAA-Ohio-State-126527630/
. You believe that? Do you think if he was going to be a starting qb at Georgia this year that anyone would have ever heard this. I am also told that Fields sister still attends Georgia.. don't know that for a fact...third hand twitter..😁

Deleted member 29907

D
Non-revenue sports such as volleyball seem to survive without restrictions on transfers.
If you don't like Clownzo's poaching now, just imagine if there were instant play for all (MS's case aside).

If the expectation is that the student athlete is to provide some amount of care (in addition to going to school and playing ball) then that's a problem. The exception should be granted to allow better ease of getting to games and also providing comfort or visiting. Care should not be the bar. Mom with brain tumor should be automatic, seriously what kind of jerks are running that organization.
Just to clarify, the providing care would be a big factor, but not a requirement, as would visiting and providing comfort.
There was a coaching change..the offensive coordinator of the previous coach. Martell did not leave because of the coaching change. He left because fields transferred in.
We know the real reason, but the attorneys were able to make a case. Isn't that how the justice system often works, too?

I

Ya I forgot about the coaching change, but I still think the NCAA is playing favorites. I don't believe a coaching change should outweigh a medical hardship.
That Justin Fields case sound absurd in my opinion. It's not like he was the only black player on the team. Do all the other black players fear for their safety? Just sounds ridiculous if you ask me.

one reason was Meyer retiring

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
Even Georgia fans on reddit etc are upset about it. That's when you know it's bs. Even the team the guy is transferring from is mad at the ncaa.

TMC999

Not Iowa
The rules exist for the NCAA as an excuse to deny equal treatment for the non powerhouse schools and for the benefit of the Ohio States of the world.:poop::poop::poop:
I'm not into conspiracy theories but this is a joke. If we are Michigan or Ohio state we all know this gets approved. We are just needed to pad their "denied" stats.

Fields or Patterson would never been able to do it coming to a school like Illinois. Or Indiana. Or Rutgers. Or any other school with no “in” with NCAA and media.
I think the more important commonality was Tom Mars representing them.
hold up if more than 100 miles is a deal breaker than how did Justin and tate or mark get a waivers
They didn't try for a family medical hardship waiver. There's not as much wiggle room. Had Brock Hoffman hired Tom Mars, I'm convinced he would have claimed a different hardship and been granted a waiver. I'm not so sure what Luke Ford could have done, but a family medical hardship wasn't there based on the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.