Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how many times we have to go over this - it was rated 13th in the Big Ten and 59th in the country because of the limited number of incoming kids. If you look at the average ranking, it was good enough for 8th in the Big Ten and somewhere around 30th in the country.
I started a thread on how the class stacked up against the rest of the conference. Lovie's median recruit ranking is only 0.8390, so you can't assume if the class was larger, he would have filled it with highly rated recruits at or above the 0.8630 average. And the 2019 class had exactly 7 above and 7 below his 0.8390 median. Wearing orange colored glasses and giving higher weight to Beason and Williams than 247 or I did (which is what your averaging does), I could see a case for ranking the class 10th in the league. No matter the ranking, 8th, 10th or 13th, I'm not seeing how that class, and the two current recruits, can be considered the "foundation for greatness."

I started a thread on how the class stacked up against the rest of the conference. Lovie's median recruit ranking is only 0.8390, so you can't assume if the class was larger, he would have filled it with highly rated recruits at or above the 0.8630 average. And the 2019 class had exactly 7 above and 7 below his 0.8390 median. Wearing orange colored glasses and giving higher weight to Beason and Williams than 247 or I did (which is what your averaging does), I could see a case for ranking the class 10th in the league. No matter the ranking, 8th, 10th or 13th, I'm not seeing how that class, and the two current recruits, can be considered the "foundation for greatness."

Obviously, two recruits are not enough to make the claim.

For me Greatness is not national championship. It is competing for the Big West.

I have heard something about the recruiting class. I'm basing the statement on what I heard. But, what I heard would end the recruiting season in the top 7. The players that we would be slated to get, with the last class, I would argue, are the foundations for greatness (competing for the Big West). We will see if it comes to fruition.

Deleted member 631370

D
Illinois has instability in its program? Perhaps. But how is Illinois any different than anywhere else. We're itching for transfers. Well, where do they come from? Programs with instability?

That said, Tommy Stevens. They're in mild panic in Pennsylvania, or at least the fans are. Franklin apparently not. Or definitely not saying it out loud. Stevens didn't want to be sitting on the bench his last year at PSU after already having had to play second fiddle. Pennsylvania on Stevens

So he wantsto go somewhere he can play? Miami of Ohio? Yes, but Miami of Ohio.

Mississippi State? The kid's from Indianapolis. Does he want to go to Mississippi? And with what likelihood of playing there?

Or there's Illinois. Not that far from home. B1G...with possible revenge against Penn State if things go well in Champaign.

Just playing the intagiables.

That said, any word on Stevens' visit this weekend?

Hardly anybody in PA is panicking over Stevens leaving. Many -- like myself -- are sad to see him go, because he's been a loyal kid who's very likable and deserves great things. But his foot injury means that Sean Clifford is the much safer -- and more appetizing long-term -- option.

The Miss State pull is Joe Moorhead, his OC at Penn State who is now HC at Miss State. And while Stevens is a better thrower than Nick Fitzgerald, he's similar as a runner. He would be a very logical choice for Moorhead.

And if he wants to play against Penn State, he's probably better off going to an SEC team like Miss State where at least he'll have a shot at playing PSU in the Citrus or Outback Bowl or something. PSU and Illinois don't play this year.

Deleted member 654622

D
This is in no way is an indication on my opinion about the current class, just a non numerical analysis of this current class and it's possible foundation for greatness.

The major factor in our two commits is not really that fact that they are four star players, but they are four star players from very talented areas we are trying to setup pipelines to. Getting those players and seeing them succeed on and off the field lays the "foundation" to bring in a higher number of very talented players from those areas, and eventually leading us to greatness. Jimmy's and Joes over Xs and Os.

Stevens visiting Kentucky tomorrow, it appears.

Not ideal.
Kentucky had a sophomore QB lead the team to a ten win season last year. Did something happen to him? If Stevens is looking for a place to be guaranteed the starting QB, I don't think Kentucky is it.

Deleted member 649710

D
Kentucky had a sophomore QB lead the team to a ten win season last year. Did something happen to him? If Stevens is looking for a place to be guaranteed the starting QB, I don't think Kentucky is it.
This. Both Kentucky and Miss St. have returning QBs with a lot more experience than Robinson and Taylor. There is no place that offers Stevens a clearer path to being a starter than Illinois, if starting is truly his #1 priority.

Deleted member 631370

D
This. Both Kentucky and Miss St. have returning QBs with a lot more experience than Robinson and Taylor. There is no place that offers Stevens a clearer path to being a starter than Illinois, if starting is truly his #1 priority.

I would agree, though Miss State's QB situation isn't entirely settled. The UK situation is odd, though. Terry Wilson had a fairly decent year, and as only a sophomore, one would expect him to get better this year and next. Stevens is probably better, but is the difference enough to justify sitting the starting QB for UK's winningest football team ever? Particularly since Stevens is one-and-done?

Deleted member 631370

D
The other thing to consider is that Tommy is a VERY self-confident young man. Took it personally that he wasn't on one of those preseason "top-10 QB" lists or being discussed for the Heisman. He has stated publicly (just a few months ago) that he wants to win a Heisman and a national title and all that. So while we probably offer him the surest playing time, if he has any realistic shot to start at UK or Miss State, I'd bet he takes that option instead given the supporting cast at those schools.

It's hard for him not to look at our roster and think "who am I supposed to throw the ball to?"

Edit: he's hardly a Heisman trophy QB, but I do think he's playing for NFL draft positioning. And I'd bet that he's taking a serious look at his team's ability to win and his ability to shine. Miss State or UK would offer that -- assuming he could even get the starting job. Illinois and Miami OH are probably easier jobs to get, but far less likelihood of winning big games on ESPN Saturday night football.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Huge. But I'd still love Williams progress so quickly that he earns playing time this season.
Is it huge? I know very little to make a judgment about this. Does he even beat out Robinson or Williams for the starting job?

I'm still... hoping for Khalil Tate! :cool:

FT35

Naperville
QB Matt Fink transferring to Illinois Football

Immediately eligible, 2 years remaining

1557184224431.png

FT35

Naperville
Is it huge? I know very little to make a judgment about this. Does he even beat out Robinson or Williams for the starting job?

Not really. Here's a write up about him from a Rivals article:

https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-portal-five-high-profile-qbs-make-the-move

As a recruit: The Southern California native fielded offers from several Pac-12 teams, including Washington, Utah and California and also had an offer from Notre Dame. But once USC was ready to take his commitment, Fink jumped on the chance to commit in the spring of 2015.
With the Trojans: After redshirting in 2016, Fink served as a backup in 2017 and 2018, appearing in seven games while playing in mostly mop-up duty. Fink’s most important playing time came after freshman starter
J.T. Daniels
was knocked out of the Trojans' game against Utah in 2018, when he stepped in and went 6-of-7 passing for 43 yards and a touchdown while also running for 21 yards. Unfortunately, Fink suffered an injury of his own in that game that robbed him of the chance to start in place of Daniels the following week. After battling Daniels and
Jack Sears
for the starting job during spring practice, Fink entered the transfer portal. Expected to graduate this year, Fink could transfer and be eligible immediately, with two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Farrell’s take: Fink is an interesting one. Out of high school, his film was solid but after seeing him in person all week at the Under Armour All-America Game, it was clear that USC reached and he didn’t have the talent to compete there. We dropped him to our lowest three-star ranking after that week and it’s hard to explain how bad and out of place he was. He’ll end up at a smaller program and have success, maybe on the FCS level.

Stevens is obviously better. You can see how much attention and interest Stevens is getting as opposed to Fink. However, this is better than nothing. There's a good chance that Fink will be the starter against Akron if he's healthy and then we'll see what happens after that.

I hope this is a package deal with Josh Imatorbhebhe. We're still only projected to have 81 scholarship players this Fall even if Fink shows up so hopefully we can add a couple more transfers.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
QB Matt Fink transferring to Illinois Football

Immediately eligible, 2 years remaining

HUGE. We needed that. Feel a lot better about this upcoming season now. I think he'll be our unquestioned starter to begin the season and it gives I Will time to learn the system with much less pressure on him. I still expect Williams to play some, though.

On another note, Trevon Sidney must be happy about this. Gives him someone he's familiar with throwing him the ball.

I'm still... hoping for Khalil Tate! :cool:
My thoughts, too. Can I still hope for Stevens, or does this mean his ship has sailed? (Would love Tate, too, but that sounds unlikely.)

Deleted member 631370

D
I'm sorta with FT35. Is it really obvious that he's the runaway starter? Based on what?

Was a hot recruit at one point, really struggled at the elite camps and fell to 3* status, and didn't really play at USC. Projected as a third string.

He's definitely better than nothing. Just don't know if he's the kind of guy that takes us up a level. Only one way to tell, though.

Not really. Here's a write up about him from a Rivals article:

https://n.rivals.com/news/transfer-portal-five-high-profile-qbs-make-the-move

As a recruit: The Southern California native fielded offers from several Pac-12 teams, including Washington, Utah and California and also had an offer from Notre Dame. But once USC was ready to take his commitment, Fink jumped on the chance to commit in the spring of 2015.
With the Trojans: After redshirting in 2016, Fink served as a backup in 2017 and 2018, appearing in seven games while playing in mostly mop-up duty. Fink’s most important playing time came after freshman starter
J.T. Daniels
was knocked out of the Trojans' game against Utah in 2018, when he stepped in and went 6-of-7 passing for 43 yards and a touchdown while also running for 21 yards. Unfortunately, Fink suffered an injury of his own in that game that robbed him of the chance to start in place of Daniels the following week. After battling Daniels and
Jack Sears
for the starting job during spring practice, Fink entered the transfer portal. Expected to graduate this year, Fink could transfer and be eligible immediately, with two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Farrell’s take: Fink is an interesting one. Out of high school, his film was solid but after seeing him in person all week at the Under Armour All-America Game, it was clear that USC reached and he didn’t have the talent to compete there. We dropped him to our lowest three-star ranking after that week and it’s hard to explain how bad and out of place he was. He’ll end up at a smaller program and have success, maybe on the FCS level.

Stevens is obviously better. You can see how much attention and interest Stevens is getting as opposed to Fink. However, this is better than nothing. There's a good chance that Fink will be the starter against Akron if he's healthy and then we'll see what happens after that.

I hope this is a package deal with Josh Imatorbhebhe. We're still only projected to have 81 scholarship players this Fall even if Fink shows up so hopefully we can add a couple more transfers.

Competing at usc is different than competing at Illinois. He can lead us to 3-0 in the first three games. This is important. Williams will get playing time, learn the game and will be ready to stArt by the 4th or 5th game depending on how well fink plays against Nebraska, Minnesota, and Michigan. 3-3 Williams will get the start against Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.