Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,001      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I watched a bit of film on Peters and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. His mechanics aren't great and consequently his release is more slow and low than you'd hope for such a statuesque guy, but he seems to keep his eyes downfield and make quick decisions, and he throws a really catchable ball. He seems capable of taking what's there.

The question in a Rod Smith context of course is his mobility, and while he's definitely fluid enough to roll out and move around in the pocket, he'll be no threat at all on a QB keeper and won't keep anyone honest on the zone read. So it's a weird fit in that way. No one wants to hear it at this point, but what's good is that with two years to play, he potentially presents the next coach/OC with a senior pocket passer who's here on day 1 and knows his teammates as an option, so we won't get stuck in that position again where we're waiting years before a system can actually get implemented.

#1,002      
No one wants to hear it at this point, but what's good is that with two years to play, he potentially presents the next coach/OC...blah blah blah.
You must have found Whitman's recent remarks about the football program confusing.

#1,003      
I watched a bit of film on Peters and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. His mechanics aren't great and consequently his release is more slow and low than you'd hope for such a statuesque guy, but he seems to keep his eyes downfield and make quick decisions, and he throws a really catchable ball. He seems capable of taking what's there.

The question in a Rod Smith context of course is his mobility, and while he's definitely fluid enough to roll out and move around in the pocket, he'll be no threat at all on a QB keeper and won't keep anyone honest on the zone read. So it's a weird fit in that way. No one wants to hear it at this point, but what's good is that with two years to play, he potentially presents the next coach/OC with a senior pocket passer who's here on day 1 and knows his teammates as an option, so we won't get stuck in that position again where we're waiting years before a system can actually get implemented.
You are correct that no one wants to hear it. There is some chance you are correct on the outcome but why stir that pot now?

#1,004      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
You are correct that no one wants to hear it. There is some chance you are correct on the outcome but why stir that pot now?

Because Peters just committed and it's a positive aspect of that.

If we end up coach searching after this season, horror at the state of the roster isn't going to be a factor weighing us down as it sometimes is elsewhere (see: Kansas).

Of course, the very same people who are outraged at the first part of that sentence will later hysterically deny the latter part on behalf of a yet-unidentified next coach, funny the way psychology works. But it's good news!

#1,005      
Because Peters just committed and it's a positive aspect of that.

If we end up coach searching after this season, horror at the state of the roster isn't going to be a factor weighing us down as it sometimes is elsewhere (see: Kansas).

Of course, the very same people who are outraged at the first part of that sentence will later hysterically deny the latter part on behalf of a yet-unidentified next coach, funny the way psychology works. But it's good news!
A lot like saying "You're not half bad to look at for an ugly person"

Yup, it's a positive aspect alright.

#1,006      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
So has the consensus become that we're bowling next year?

We've definitely got all the indicators for a much improved team. We'll be looking good on the "career starts" ranking.

#1,007      
So has the consensus become that we're bowling next year?

We've definitely got all the indicators for a much improved team. We'll be looking good on the "career starts" ranking.

I think the consensus on this board is that we SHOULD bowl. This is the first year I can confidently say we have a 6 win roster. Experience is there and we’ve added some elite level athletes. Now, do we have a 6 win coaching staff? We’ll find out. Personally, I think so. We won 2 B1G games last year, we only need 3 to bowl this year

#1,009      

Deleted member 569417

D
If they win out in non-con, which is not a given, they’ll need 2 significant upsets in the B10 to get to 6 wins. All while having almost no experience at the most important position on the field. And a defense that was ranked 124th last year and having lost its best player.

How anyone sees 6 wins is baffling. How anyone sees 7+ is lunacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
#1,010      
If they win out in non-con, which is not a given, they’ll need 2 significant upsets in the B10 to get to 6 wins. All while having almost no experience at the most important position on the field. And a defense that was ranked 124th last year and having lost its best player.

Losing Roundtree is a huge loss. And it is not season ending. We return a lot of experience and our weakness on defense is linebacker. Some improved play along the line, which is expected can help lessen the loss. Our two wins last season were played with an offense that had a fifth year senior with no playing time and a true freshman qb, who did not come to campus in the spring. This season situation will be much like last season, it will depend almost completely on health.

#1,011      

Deleted member 654622

D

A significant upset would be beating Michigan. Your really going to put Minnesota, Purdue and Northwestern in that category?

#1,013      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior

giphy.gif

#1,015      

We will not be favored against Minnesota, but we beat them at home. There is no reason to think winning on the road would be a significant upset. It would be an upset, but definitely not significant.

I appreciate the doomsday outlook, though. You may be in the minority of posters on this board, but the respective is always helpful. Why do you think the games we almost won or won last year (nw, minn) would be significant upsets?

Last edited:
#1,017      

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

It's a bit path dependent, right? If we're good, those aren't huge upsets. If we're bad, they would be.

All we need to do is be good. We aren't going to be the hard-luck 5-7 team with this schedule, I don't fear that at all. If we become a real football team this year, the wins will be there.

#1,018      

Deleted member 654622

D
It's a bit path dependent, right? If we're good, those aren't huge upsets. If we're bad, they would be.

All we need to do is be good. We aren't going to be the hard-luck 5-7 team with this schedule, I don't fear that at all. If we become a real football team this year, the wins will be there.
I somewhat agree. Was it a huge upset we beat Min last year even though we were p*ss poor? No.

#1,022      

Deleted member 569417

D
So you see where you might have lost some people when you said you'd put beating Michigan in the same category as beating Purdue/Minny/NW or are we taking it again from the top?
I said beating anyone outside of Rutgers in B10 would be an upset.
Someone said beating Michigan would be a significant upset, and asked would I really consider beating Purdue/Minny/NW to be in the category of a significant upset.
I said yes, it would be significant.

And the specific response there was asking if I thought those 3 are equal to Michigan which I never said. I simply said, and still maintain, any B10 game outside of Rutgers would be a significant upset to win.

Not sure where you think the gotcha is, but congrats?

#1,023      
If the games were played today they would be varying degrees of upsets. Depending on what happens in September, maybe not.

We now have a competent qb, so that's one step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.