Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glenview, IL

Reactions: Chukwuwumba
No one is questioning if this team will be more talented than the teams we fielded through 2015-2018.

The question is, will that translates to wins? That comes down to the coaching and scheming.
And a bit of schedule/luck...the general consensus is the schedule is easy, but it is skewed a bit by the weak non-conference schedule...doesn't take much to imagine 4 wins (non-cof +Rutgers), but 5 & 6 get tougher...We get NW at home(feels like a must win to get to 6), the other home games are NE/MI/Wis, On the road MN/PU/MSU/IA, I don't see us favored in any of those & don't see anyone taking a big step back this year, may be a good sized gap we have to scheme over.

An old Sports Illustrated story from 1981 that is imbedded in the article about the Illini nearly leaving the Big Ten may have been posted here before, but I thought it was interesting:

https://www.si.com/vault/1981/05/25...me-illini-clamor-to-get-out-of-the-conference
Just a side note on how things have changed in the last 20 years...5.8 million athletic budget

[QUOTE...and cut off conference revenue that Illinois would have received for the next two years, a sum estimated to be about $2 million. That's a loss of almost 20% of Illinois' $5.8 million annual sports budget. [/QUOTE]

West Coast
So true... "The athleticism is higher than it was a year ago, but there's a long way to go to even reach defensive mediocrity."

Mediocrity sounds amazing right now ;)

Reactions: thunderwear and Illinivek23
So true... "The athleticism is higher than it was a year ago, but there's a long way to go to even reach defensive mediocrity."

Mediocrity sounds amazing right now ;)

Exact quote I pulled. I think we are one year away from a stellar big west defense. The question is: can we hang around enough to win. I think this depends mostly on how long the offense can stay on the field.

Reactions: CHI 1086
Status
Not open for further replies.