Illini Football 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illinois admissions is a joke.
But but Jeff Thomas passed admissions! Wait if these guys didn’t get in, then (mind blown gif/ light bulb) Maybe Jeff Thomas actually didn’t get in???? I don’t know any real story but makes me think twice about it.

I feel like with the transfer market becoming more important in CFB this things are going to have long term ramifications.

Does stuff like this provide ammo for other schools in negative recruiting against us? Why is a transfer with any sort of academic questions going to waste their time committing to us if it is a coin flip if they can even get accepted.

I feel like with the transfer market becoming more important in CFB this things are going to have long term ramifications.

Does stuff like this provide ammo for other schools in negative recruiting against us? Why is a transfer with any sort of academic questions going to waste their time committing to us if it is a coin flip if they can even get accepted.
he didn't know he wasn't going to get accepted

Good chance our 5* transfer from Georgia is eligible, so no, that's probably incorrect.
This is sugarcoating to the max. Luke Ford was not a 5 star, nor is a tight end as big of an impact receiving as an actual receiver. Highly doubt he has as good a season as Dorsey (whom also was kicked off last year), IF he’s even eligible

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Yeah, as I posted prior to your post, I missed that, but like Matt you cut off the other half of my post regarding our 5* TE, so what do you have to say? Still the same receiving core? BTW, we also have Williams, Beason and Cumby is possible receiving options. So yeah, same reaching core eh Wowzer?

A non-injured Edwin Carter will help too. Maybe a lot.

This is sugarcoating to the max. Luke Ford was not a 5 star, nor is a tight end as big of an impact receiving as an actual receiver. Highly doubt he has as good a season as Dorsey (whom also was kicked off last year), IF he’s even eligible

No, this is cynicism to the max. Luke Ford was a top 60 recruit in the country with a composite score of 97 and tight ends absolutely, positively, 110% can have as big of an impact as an actual receiver.

Whether he's eligible is another story but Luke Ford is far and away as impactful a player as one can land in the transfer market.

mhuml32

Cincinnati, OH
Ford is undoubtedly the better athlete and pro prospect. That said, Dorsey put up the best receiving numbers for an Illinois TE since....2013 Lacosse? 2011 Davis? 2008 Cumberland? Each of these seasons were on par with Dorsey's freshman year, so you probably have to go back to '94 Dilger to find a no doubt season better than Dorsey. Plus Dorsey's numbers are from his freshman season! To find a better freshman season.....maybe ever? '91 Dilger might be the only one in the ballpark. Really stinks it didn't work out for Dorsey at Illinois.

Here's to hoping Ford blows all of those numbers out of the park. Just more about the context that 25 catches from Ford would give him the best TE season at Illinois in 25 years.

No, this is cynicism to the max. Luke Ford was a top 60 recruit in the country with a composite score of 97 and tight ends absolutely, positively, 110% can have as big of an impact as an actual receiver.

Whether he's eligible is another story but Luke Ford is far and away as impactful a player as one can land in the transfer market.
Hmm, cynicism? I never said he wasn’t a great get, he is. But the original post was sugarcoated absolutely. I’m actually highly optimistic about the program. It’s the fact that Luke ford was not rated a 5 star by any of the main sites, and maybe I’m alone in this, but I would take a 5 star receiver over a 5 star tight end any day (given they have equal talent). Receivers get more targets. The post was misleading, I got my hopes up of a 5 star receiver transfer out of a Georgia school. Then I realized it was Luke Ford (whom again is a great get), but that post was 100% sugarcoated

Ford was too a 5* TE and the top player out of Illinois two years ago. Was set to start at TE for Georgia and yeah, he won't have was good a season as Dorsey....Bwhahahahahahaha!
I will rephrase my statement as I see where you may disagree. I personally do not think he will have as good of a freshman season as Dorsey, but I absolutely hope I am wrong. This board raves all the time of Lovie’s classes claiming 3 star recruits can easily outperform 5 stars because the rating system is flawed. Dorsey and Williams were great examples of that.

Ford was too a 5* TE and the top player out of Illinois two years ago. Was set to start at TE for Georgia and yeah, he won't have was good a season as Dorsey....Bwhahahahahahaha!

Ford wasnt going to start for UGA. Dont make stuff up. He was 4th string last year and 2 guys ahead of him return. He also wasnt a 5* on any recruiting service. 4* everywhere.

Yes, he's talented, and I'm guessing he'll be pretty good here. But Dorsey had a great freshman year (with atrocious QB play) and will be in the NFL if he gets his head on straight.

So If Ford outproduces Dorsey, that'd be awesome

Yeah, as I posted prior to your post, I missed that, but like Matt you cut off the other half of my post regarding our 5* TE, so what do you have to say? Still the same receiving core? BTW, we also have Williams, Beason and Cumby is possible receiving options. So yeah, same reaching core eh Wowzer?

Isaiah isnt playing WR. That's from his own mouth. He wants to be QB, even if he doesnt win the job this year.

Cumby seems likely to play WR, I agree. I love his potential in the slot

Beason I'd be surprised if he played offense. We need him at DB, and he needs to learn the position after not playing any defense last year in HS. Cant put too much on his plate Day 1.

Adding another WR has to be a priority with the Miller news

I agree. I think winning against Nebraska would set off a much greater season than expected. This would put us at 4-0 heading into the bye week. Then likely a win against Minnesota with an extra week of prep. this would immediately recalibrate expectations.

Nebraska is going to be the preseason favorite in the West. Year 2 of Frost/Martinez with a great recruiting class coming in and a lot of guys returning.

If we can beat them, we can contend for the division.

Big if though obviously.

particularly in a program that views tight ends as just another lineman.

Status
Not open for further replies.